Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #6735

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh jeepers! I was only gone for 5 days, and when I get back there are 25 pages of reading to do! And a slew of new faces!!
Welcome to the new RVM's, Glad your Mother is doing well and moved out of hospital, Les. Also Happy Birthday! and way sad to hear of accidents done to people's rides. I still have 19 pages left to read so if I left something out I am sorry.
I've never played pinochle, but used to play euchre back when I lived in Wisconsin. I thought it was a locally popular card game as I never met anyone else who played around here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #6736

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I got this on the Canadian Turkey day and saved it to give over to you lot.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05...s/image/01.swf

Happy Turkey day.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #6737

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Pinochle - haven't played since the Air Force.
For those who remember how
Now THAT would be fun. Need to re-learn it. Ahhh...those days on the midnight shift...not much work, lots of pinochle. Still remember the 1st Sgt about to rip my head off for a bad lead back.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #6738

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

Now THAT would be fun. Need to re-learn it. Ahhh...those days on the midnight shift...not much work, lots of pinochle. Still remember the 1st Sgt about to rip my head off for a bad lead back.
I can't remember how to bid or count and am embarrassed to say it. I played many, many, many hours in the GCA House. Hard to believe I have forgotten. All I can say is it was almost as fun as telling pilots where to fly!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #6739

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I can't remember how to bid or count and am embarrassed to say it. I played many, many, many hours in the GCA House. Hard to believe I have forgotten. All I can say is it was almost as fun as telling pilots where to fly!
Roger THAT!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #6740

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Feeling A Bit...Reflective

I posted something in another thread. I just thought I would share it as food (not directly related to bacon) for thought. It was reference the OPs search for nice weather places during the spring and fall transitions. I guess they were mostly trying to find good "weather surfing" opportunities.

Keep in mind that some of you are far more mutated than I am. I am happy with many of the things we have but don't need. I like rope lights that provide enough light on a dark rainy evening where I can sit under my awning and just watch. I like but don't drool over bacon. I don't have an automatic generator starter but I want one. The list could go on but...

Maybe I am a rebellious mutant?

In my vision of being a mutant it is a state of nirvana where by we find the path that makes us happy. For some it means smaller, agile RVs and jeeps to explore rough hills and valleys. For others it is big rigs with toads fit for city trips. We are like Noah in that some of us have cats and rats and monkeys and dogs and maybe even turtles. Some of us only carry people.

Each of us has our own concept of our journey. Mutants ought to embrace the journey that others take as just another way of rainbow surfing.

But, I am also learning to make, no LET the journey unfold what it will unfold. I will cross paths with fellow mutants (declared and undeclared) in various stages of mutation. I will run into many that don't even know they are mutants. I will run into many that just have a different purpose for these amazing machines that transport us to place we want and didn't even know we wanted to experience.

Anyway...This was my response...

Sandee and I are about to embark on that journey. I am an air traffic controller and my life has revolved around making things happen and controlling events around me. If you didn't like my plan A, you just might not like my plan B for trouble makers. LOL (If you ever heard the term Penalty Box, you might know what I mean.)

We have been planning this for nearly 2 years and so far I am tending to revert to planning everything. I still tend to think in terms of time and distance in overly precise concepts. I'm comfortable with that process.

I WANT TO LEAVE THAT BEHIND!

So far we still have some plans to be specific places over the next 8 months but we have started leaving gaps to fill in some ad-hock fashion. My biggest challenge is learning how to find nice, big-rig friendly campgrounds on the fly. I'm not talking about Wally Worlds and Cracker Barrels (which we will still use as needed) but CGs that we can discover and maybe stay a week just because we like it. Finding places near all the tourists but not so close that it is overrun.

Like you, I want to follow the weather but since we have been holed up this month in ILLINI territory of east central IL we have learned we can adapt to weather that isn't the best. Someone mentioned the west coast for spring because they avoid midwest hazardous weather. I never thought of that and that may be something we take into consideration for future plans.

Sandee and I have a huge wanderlust we want to fulfill. We don't want to be in A then B then C then D based on seasons but instead wander and find other points we never considered before now.

In the end, it is about the path of the journey and the places it takes us. I know, that is a tried (so some a tired) phrase. You can gussy it up, say it a different way but there is a comforting truth and challenge to it.

In the immortal words of Bilbo Baggins - I think I'm... quite ready for another adventure!

Best wishes for your future journeys.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #6741

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was a quiet day in RVMdom. It had been a busy week of welcoming new mutants to the rainbow and by Thursday many were ready for a visit to the Sidetrack Tap. Some, like Annie were spending time preparing for the holidays just around the corner. She went shopping and came back with a 12 pound turkey and a 7 pound pork shoulder in preparation for the pre-Grande Curiosity @ CL smoke-out. RVM2 ordered a new turkey injector as a backup on Amazon that may or may not arrive in time for Thanksgiving. Sue stuck to her knitting while others were busy working out troubles with crunched vehicles, and still others were trying to remember how to play various card games or reminiscing about hands won and lost years ago. Some industrious mutants submitted their GC @ CL Itinerary Forms and others, as is often the vase, were undoubtedly catching up with posts unread.

No matter how you spent your day, I hope all are doing well and your preparations for Turkey Day are progressing nicely. We mutants have much to be thankful for, and much that we don't have and are thankful for as well.

Remember, when the journey is your destination, nothing gets in the way of happiness and the RVMs are here for you when the going is tough or is as easy as saying pass the gravy.

RVM2
Old 11-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #6742
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don,

Very nicely said. Thank you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #6743

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Don,

X2 Don. While I only did it for a short while in the Air Force, I know how deeply ATC gets into your blood. I was not prepared to leave it behind when I left the AF, and went on to minor in ATC and Major in Aviation Administration. When PATCO went on strike and President Reagan fired the controllers, I decided it wasn't in the cards for me. I changed my degree plan and "departed the fix outbound". It was tough, but there is and was life after ATC. I'm sure you will find your way on the rainbow and ad hoc thinking and journeying will come natural to you. It will be your brand of mutation at your mutating pace. The journey is and will be your destination! Safe travels. Can't wait to meet you and Sandee in December - assuming the journey brings you this way.
RVM2
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #6744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Don,

Hey Don !!

Well said, but one part of your mutation will be yours and yours alone, and that will be getting used to not working or leaving for a job everyday. Now thats not to say you wont get a job somewhere along your rainbow, I havent succumbed to that as of yet but I've only had the coach a year so far. You in your soon to be former life, had to make sure everything was in order and planned and set in stone, well now that you will be retired, sure you are going to have hard set dates that you will need to make from time to time, but its up to you how you get there. So my suggestion to you, is to keep your laptop handy, dont throw away your maps or atlas's you will want to plan on how you are getting to where it is you are going. You will want to plan your route for many reasons, wheather to save fuel, or see that one particular place you havent seen yet, or go to that one special restaurant that a friend has suggested.

I have to say that so far on our rainbow ride we have had the opportunity to meet Dave and Nola and we have had the opportunity to meet Dave and Deb, and it was like meeting your best old friends that you just hadnt had a chance to get together with in awhile. It was fantastic.

You will be some places where your fellow travelers will be friendly and say hello as soon as you park, and there will be some that hardly acknowledge you at all, or it may be as simple as a nod and hello. Whatever you run into you will be able to make it your own. And everyday you can wake up and say, its going to be a fantastic day, because its mine to do with as I please, (or what Sandee will allow).

Looking Forward To Meeting You Both !!!

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #6745

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Morning Muteys! Here in North Texas it is a cold, wet and windy day which offers up the potential for freezing precip. So as I sit here in Jenny Journey, all snug and warm and nursing a hot cup of joe, reading the very well stated ponderances of Don and Steve, I am reminded why I consider myself fortunate for stumbling across this eclectic group of mutants. That which binds us together, while not unique to this group alone, is merely a vehicle on the rainbow to a much larger reward.

Though we have only managed one mini curiosity with Waynee and Earlene, from our perspective, it was like meeting family whom we knew so well, even though we were almost complete strangers at the time. What came out of that encounter was the big reward, a new set of friends that we hope will last a lifetime.

As we prepare to give thanks this next week, we can all add the blessing of new found friends, ones met and ones yet to meet. I for one cannot wait to see my buddy Wayne again and meet up with those of you who will be joining us at the GC@CL. We will no doubt develop more great friendships. What is great is what happens "after" the first GC. When we all leave there and continue on our journeys, we will probably be scattered all over this great country and wherever we go, hopefully there will be new mutant friends somewhere close by.

Here is to hoping our family continues to grow and no matter where the rainbow takes us, there we will be with friends close by!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #6746

Hello Mutey's

Who of you remembers ... "Riding on the City of New Orleans, penny a point, no one keeping score"

Singer, and Album, Winner may or may not get a prize.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #6747

I just want to say thank all of you for letting me be part of this group. I see the friends ships growing in to a little family. this is a great group. I can't wait to meet y'all. I've met steve what a great guy. also I like talking it helps with my ptsd. so this is just a big thank you to all in this group.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #6748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
I just want to say thank all of you for letting me be part of this group. I see the friends ships growing in to a little family. this is a great group. I can't wait to meet y'all. I've met steve what a great guy. also I like talking it helps with my ptsd. so this is just a big thank you to all in this group.
what a lovely thing to say.
wingennis is offline   Reply With Quote