Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #6763

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum
Arlo Guthry and no idea the album because my dad's was on a 78.
33 1/3 methinks. Woody Guthrie - Arlos dad was more likely on the 78. But I could be wrong...

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #6764

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The City of New Orleans passes by my airport close enough to call RADAR CONTACT on. I've had the pleasure of riding it up to and back from Chicago a few times.

Originally written by Steve Goodman in 1971 and recorded by him it was covered many times. Arlo Guthrie is probably the best known cover but Willie Nelson has a very popular cover also. Arlo included in his Hobo's Lullaby album in 1972 after Steve auditioned it for him.

Wikipedia makes me look smart. City of New Orleans (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coming from a large family of musicians we would sit around and play records over and over trying to learn all the notes for the instruments, everyone but me as for whatever reason I have no musical bent. I tried singing but found I could carry a tune in a railroad tank car let alone a bucket.

Never the less "City" was one of our favorite family singalongs because we were right beside a very active railroad and we did a lot of family bonefires on a summers evening. I can remember Arlo's version very well (only copy we had) and was surprised that the Karaoke version has the words slightly screwed up. Ask me how I found out. heh heh heh.

(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #6765

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
33 1/3 methinks. Woody Guthrie - Arlos dad was more likely on the 78. But I could be wrong...
Hello One and All Mutants,

First I want to say well done to all of you that answered correctly on the City of New Orleans, The song as far as I remember wasnt on a specific album, but on many different ones simply because it is one of those songs that evoke many different things to many people. For me it was the thought of adventure, of traveling without a real reason to, the true destination was the journey. And all of it before I had even considered living on wheels. I can remember when I was a kid and my grandpa Ripley had a 19' travel trailer, and my Dad outfitted it with a stool and a black tank, cause grandpa would boondock with it someplace near Apache Junction, no one in my family has been able to figure out the exact location of where he parked, ( ya know a lot of desert looks like a lot of other desert ). Any way long story short, the song came on the radio and it just struck me again how it explains what ya see and feel as you travel along, be it on a set of rails, a interstate, or a local two-lane. Just wanted to share a bit .....

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #6766
RVM1

Quote:
Without a little rain rain there would be no rainbow. Watch for it - camera ready and post up later for all to admire! RVM2
My science lesson for the day.
Thanks Steve!
Camera = always ready, since 1970.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #6767

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

My science lesson for the day.
Thanks Steve!
Camera = always ready, since 1970.
No cheating - if ya spray up a water hose rainbow - I'll know.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #6768
RVM1

Quote:
No cheating - if ya spray up a water hose rainbow - I'll know.
Me thinks I may be able to fake a pic better than you can play pinochle?
Will require sunlight for the "prism" unless neighbor has enough rope lights.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #6769

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
You got that pre edit. I changed it to read 45, sorry but I forget the big hole had a smaller number.
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #6770

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum
You got that pre edit. I changed it to read 45, sorry but I forget the big hole had a smaller number.
As RVM2 - a small number mutant - I resemble that statement.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #6771
RVM1

My grandchildren.
My children.
My parents, grandparents.

We all play Cribbage.
You?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #6772
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
QUOTE=HerbnBarb;1816761]Morning Muteys! Here in North Texas it is a cold, wet and windy day which offers up the potential for freezing precip. So as I sit here in Jenny Journey, all snug and warm and nursing a hot cup of joe, reading the very well stated ponderances of Don and Steve, I am reminded why I consider myself fortunate for stumbling across this eclectic group of mutants. That which binds us together, while not unique to this group alone, is merely a vehicle on the rainbow to a much larger reward.

Though we have only managed one mini curiosity with Waynee and Earlene, from our perspective, it was like meeting family whom we knew so well, even though we were almost complete strangers at the time. What came out of that encounter was the big reward, a new set of friends that we hope will last a lifetime.

As we prepare to give thanks this next week, we can all add the blessing of new found friends, ones met and ones yet to meet. I for one cannot wait to see my buddy Wayne again and meet up with those of you who will be joining us at the GC@CL. We will no doubt develop more great friendships. What is great is what happens "after" the first GC. When we all leave there and continue on our journeys, we will probably be scattered all over this great country and wherever we go, hopefully there will be new mutant friends somewhere close by.

Here is to hoping our family continues to grow and no matter where the rainbow takes us, there we will be with friends close by![/QUOTE]

Thar ya go Herbie, gettin' all mushy on me. Sheesh. On the serious side it was a good meeting and we also hope the friendship lasts. Hope y'all come on down for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
I just want to say thank all of you for letting me be part of this group. I see the friends ships growing in to a little family. this is a great group. I can't wait to meet y'all. I've met steve what a great guy. also I like talking it helps with my ptsd. so this is just a big thank you to all in this group.
Anytime you want to talk, you holler. God bless.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #6773

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My grandchildren.
My children.

We all play Cribbage.
You?
My (Navy) dad used to play cribbage a lot while on board. He taught Mother, too, I think. They're both gone now, but I have his boards with the little storage hidey-hole underneath for the pegs. I believe all the pegs are still there, too.

Now all I need is for someone to teach me how to play. (Not that there aren't books and internet resources...those aren't as much fun as real people!) The GC@CL?

Gin rummy, now, I can do. Mother and I used to play sometimes to see which one of us was going to do the dinner dishes. How many hands we played just depended...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #6774

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My grandchildren.
My children.

We all play Cribbage.
You?
X2 On Cribbage !!!!!
Marcia and I both play, 2-handed or 4-handed

Cheers !!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #6775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
My (Navy) dad used to play cribbage a lot while on board. He taught Mother, too, I think. They're both gone now, but I have his boards with the little storage hidey-hole underneath for the pegs. I believe all the pegs are still there, too.

Now all I need is for someone to teach me how to play. (Not that there aren't books and internet resources...those aren't as much fun as real people!) The GC@CL?

Gin rummy, now, I can do. Mother and I used to play sometimes to see which one of us was going to do the dinner dishes. How many hands we played just depended...
Hey Sue,

Cribbage is easy !!! if you can count to 15 and then on to at least 28 you can learn to play, and remember there are no bad cards .... just bad combinations. Dont worry there will be plenty of Cribbage teachers to teach at the GC@CL. Gin Rummy was another old time fav when I was growing up as well, but not as much as Eucher and Cribbage

Cheers !!!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #6776

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Sue,

Cribbage is easy !!! if you can count to 15 and then on to at least 28 you can learn to play, and remember there are no bad cards .... just bad combinations. Dont worry there will be plenty of Cribbage teachers to teach at the GC@CL. Gin Rummy was another old time fav when I was growing up as well, but not as much as Eucher and Cribbage

Cheers !!!
Oh and dont forget the number 31 and runs as you are working your way up to 31 as well, its not as complicated as it sounds.

Cheers !!!

« Endless Tale Game | - »