Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #757
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Maybe you don't quite understand. That is my DW up there. THAT is the proper way to wash an RV roof.

Oh oh! Wait a minute. She does have access to the checkbook and the Visa card - that must be what all the Macy's bills are for.

Yep! I play RV, I play golf, I do this and that and she plays cards. Visa card, Master Card, you get the picture.
I know that picture all too well! All the same....except....I'm the one on the roof and she's the one in the lawn chair with a cocktail telling me......"You missed a spot"
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #758

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I'm really a mutant. We have been with the Teaxas Boomers in Boerne, TX for the Memorial Day Rally and I can't say I miss any of you. But I do peek in here once in a while. Hee hee!
We were going to go but decided that since we're leaving next week we'd just stay home and continue getting ready for the loooooong trip. The anticipation is building.

Do you hire out the DW? I have a roof that she would enjoy - new roof and new brush. Where else would she get an offer like that?
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #759

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for admitting us to your exclusive Mutant Membership. We are enjoying a relaxing weekend at the house, dreaming of our next trip in just over a month. How does one travel with NO time constraints anyway? We will have to figure this out. But I think it will be a nice non-challenge. Happy travels!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #760

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Maybe you don't quite understand. That is my DW up there. THAT is the proper way to wash an RV roof.
Poor Earline, I can't imagine how she has managed to survive the torment and torture all these years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #761

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Thanks for admitting us to your exclusive Mutant Membership. We are enjoying a relaxing weekend at the house, dreaming of our next trip in just over a month. How does one travel with NO time constraints anyway? We will have to figure this out. But I think it will be a nice non-challenge. Happy travels!
It's called Retirement!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #762

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH
We RVMs are indeed a happy, humble group of mutants and always glad to have another join us. Our requirements are few - declare a thing or two your RV doesn't have and admit you don't miss them. That's the first step in the mutation and for many the easiest. Making the journey the destination - step two - is the most advanced state of mutation.

When it comes to making the journey the destination, some of us have more time than others. Having less time doesn't mean your not a mutant and can't get the mutation moving in the right direction. And you don't need to be retired to make the journey the destination.

Many young and non-mutants go on a "march" to somewhere. Pushing hard and driving long hours daily. They forget the R in RV stands Recreational - not rapid, racing, rushed, repetitive or ready, set, go.

We are 250 - 300 mile a day drivers. To help us find journeys that meet our time constraints, we took a compass (with an ink pen - not a needle pointing north and south), and drew circles on a map. We, and I suspect many, live in an area that provides a lot of RVing opportunities within a day to day and half of easy drive time (375 - 450 miles). To enhance the journey - we look for alternate routes coming and going. That makes the journey more rewarding for us. You never know what might await you one or two roads in another direction.

If you can't get there with reasonable drive time days in the time you have, maybe you're chasing after a location rather than a recreational journey. The location will be there when ya have the time to really enjoy the entire journey.

Of course we all want to see more distant places. This is where you have to be careful. We've probably all returned to work more tired than when we left. Yes - I've done it, but have scratched that off my list. BTDT - and won't do it again. If you must do the "march" look for ways to break the miles into more manageable clips. See the big ball of string - roll of tin foil - fake Billy the Kid exhibit - rock shop - WALL Drug - whatever catches your fancy on the journey.

To achieve the "journey level" of mutation, the R need not stand for Retirement. Just slow down, let the journey be the destination. If you are exhausted on the road - and exhausted when your land back home, you're doing something - but it doesn't fit this mutants definition of Recreational. Don't let the destination whip ya around as if it were a pot of gold. The real gold is living on the rainbow where the journey is the destination.

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #763

You know what, RVM2? You say the really good words I wish I could have said, or even have thought of, from a different place at the same time I wish I could have said them! Ya know? I would have used several of your words! ;-)

JudyH, RVM30, I ditto what Steve said. But I will add that time is what you make of it. Some of us RV Mutants just make time go more slowly than others.

Every RV Mutant chooses their own journey. And sometimes they change it!

Dave and Nola
RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #764

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVM1 - Thanks Dave but we all know who the brains of the operation is. They don't call you RVM1 for nothing!

Ponder of the Day:

“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.”
-- John Steinbeck --

RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #765

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With my retirement looming in the near future (July 1) we are pondering the plans... where to go first? how long to stay? or do we really need to plan? HMMMM.. We have always had to be here or there at a certain time, this is going to be fun?!?

RVM30
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #766

Quote:
With my retirement looming in the near future (July 1) we are pondering the plans... where to go first? how long to stay? or do we really need to plan? HMMMM.. We have always had to be here or there at a certain time, this is going to be fun?!?

RVM30
We figgered out real early on that the best plan is no plan, RVM30! And the Journey is the Destination.
Where is the good weather?
What do you want to see?
Who is it told us about that museum near here?
Are we hungry for sushi, lobster, barbeque, or.....?
You will figger it out!

We just let every day, every adventure, just happen.
Well, sometimes we plan a wee bit in advance, after we have chosen a goal...along our path, our Journey. Sometimes 4 or 5 days in advance.

Come on July One!

Best wishes,
Dave and Nola
RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #767

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

RVM30
For our first big trip after retirement, we planned the route but not the duration. I had a class in Key Largo and we decided that we wanted to visit the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec after that. 3 months all the way up the east coast, staying a night here, a week there as the fancy took us. It was quite an adjustment after a lifetime of business deadlines and schedules. The key, as others have said, is to slow down, relax and stop to smell the roses.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #768

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson

For our first big trip after retirement, we planned the route but not the duration. I had a class in Key Largo and we decided that we wanted to visit the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec after that. 3 months all the way up the east coast, staying a night here, a week there as the fancy took us. It was quite an adjustment after a lifetime of business deadlines and schedules. The key, as others have said, is to slow down, relax and stop to smell the roses.
Well said! Now that's making the journey the destination. You are definitely a seasoned mutant.

The only thing I would add - slowing down, relaxing and taking time to smell the roses need not wait until retirement. Wish I had discovered it sooner. Once the mutation begins - it becomes a art form. My approach is to travel like I'm paid by the hour --

or as RVM1 says - "Where will we not hurry to next!"
RVM2
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #769

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH

RVM30
You have definitely entered the final stages of the mutation process. It really is such a grand adventure!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #770

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was researching the RVM family tree over the weekend and it appears that W. C. Fields had once been an RVM - being happy with what he didn't have while on his journey. Or at least he made due with what he had.

"Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."
W. C. Fields