Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #8149

Spanish moss flows from these southern pines and live oaks....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #8150

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
You made it to the south! I'm so jealous. Spanish moss always reminds me of days long gone when the south was gentile. Too bad the moss is a parasite that will eventually kill the tree if not controlled.

Enjoy some warmth and sunshine for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #8151

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz
Spanish Moss - neither Spanish nor Moss methinks. Trees older than dirt are home to the "moss" which is basically an air plant that usually doesn't kill trees. Where I lived from age 10 to 18 the place was covered in it. Just a few miles up the road from Wayne. It makes for an eerie scene at night. So does Wayne! Boo!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #8152

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A quick Google search reveals that Steve is correct. Spanish Moss rarely kills trees, but grows more abundant on dead trees and branches due to the gases emitted by the dead wood acting as a fertilizer for the non-parasitic air plant.

Now we all know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #8153

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
A quick Google search reveals that Steve is correct. Spanish Moss rarely kills trees, but grows more abundant on dead trees and branches due to the gases emitted by the dead wood acting as a fertilizer for the non-parasitic air plant.

Now we all know.
Ha! Barb - If you could see the little town I grew up in (back then) you would have known I new a thing or two about the stuff lol. Our town had it's own bayou - named after it. We did not live directly on the bayou - maybe a 1/4 mile from it. From anywhere on the bayou, you could boat your way to gulf. My friends and I camped on oyster shell islands in the bay. All the trees along the bayou were home to moss. The bayou was home to alligator gar the size of battleships, nutria, fish and cottonmouths.

As a 10 year old kid moving there from the City of Angels - I went from city mouse to Huck Finn almost overnight. It's a nice place to be from...
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ha! Barb - If you could see the little town I grew up in (back then) you would have known I new a thing or two about the stuff lol. Our town had it's own bayou - named after it. We did not live directly on the bayou - maybe a 1/4 mile from it. From anywhere on the bayou, you could boat your way to gulf. My friends and I camped on oyster shell islands in the bay. All the trees along the bayou were home to moss. The bayou was home to alligator gar the size of battleships, nutria, fish and cottonmouths. As a 10 year old kid moving there from the City of Angels - I went from city mouse to Huck Finn almost overnight. It's a nice place to be from...
Would that have been Blooo Bayoooo?

Isn't it fun to see what ponderances flow from a fairly simple sentence? Love it!

Steve, didja ever run across the tiny red mites that live in Spanish moss? In N'Awlins once, we were told to beware of them if we took any home. Scare tactic or truth?

I too went from So Cal city kid to country bumpkin, as a 9yo. No place to roller skate! No friends nearer than a mile, and a country mile at that! No traffic noise to go to sleep to at night! And those darned owls!!!

I love the place now.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #8155

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Would that have been Blooo Bayoooo?

Isn't it fun to see what ponderances flow from a fairly simple sentence? Love it!

Steve, didja ever run across the tiny red mites that live in Spanish moss? In N'Awlins once, we were told to beware of them if we took any home. Scare tactic or truth?

I too went from So Cal city kid to country bumpkin, as a 9yo. No place to roller skate! No friends nearer than a mile, and a country mile at that! No traffic noise to go to sleep to at night! And those darned owls!!!

I love the place now.
Linda Ronstadt was the Blue Bayou girl. If ya look for Wayne's place on a map you'll figure it out - but my Internet life doesn't go back that far.

As for mites in moss - not sure - but it was a place for things to hide out. If we had our hands on any we were probably throwing it at each other.

You're right about skating - and I even had a wooden wheel skate board before such things were common. Our road was made of oyster shell. We had a pear tree, two plum trees, a grape arbor, grew okra, and lots of other things. Chameleons and snakes everywhere. Possum, armadillo, and who knows what all roamed the right. Purple martin were in competition with bats to see who could eat the most Mosquitos and other pests. The town had grown to the point only one kid rode a horse to school a few times.

No McDonalds - a cafe next to the railroad tracks appropriately called the Railroad Cafe. Even in my senior year we had to drive to Waynes town for Jack N the Box. It was like going back in time. Looking forward to happier times on Blue Bayou - not so much....
Old 12-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #8156

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky

Now we all know.
Did say Wayne is eerie too?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #8157

Quote:
.... You're right about skating - and I even had a wooden wheel skate board before such things were common. Our road was made of oyster shell.
Yeeowchie!!! Cement sidewalks and semi-paved streets were bad enough in the city, but oyster shells could scar a body for life! As for biking, those gravel roads in the country were murder too.

My fave city conveyance (before the big girl bike) was a scooter. You know, the pre-skateboard with a tall steering handle. Wheeee!

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #8158

Quote:
Spanish Moss - neither Spanish nor Moss methinks. Trees older than dirt are home to the "moss" which is basically an air plant that usually doesn't kill trees. ....
So did Barb's article say why it is then called "Spanish" and "moss"? This sort of misnaming so often happens, and sometimes there's a great backstory.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #8159
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
As a last resort, I re-installed Win7. Scan still doesn't work from my desktop and tech support still hasn't called back. I lost all my emails on this computer, but was able to save the Address Book.

I lost the address of one person I was conversing with over the problem. Wayne was it you? I think the email address was something like rvtrash dot something or other. Email me if anyone remembers.
Hey Mike, yep that was you and me, and yes I'm the rvtrash @ somewhere.com (not the real address but the rvrtrash is correct. Anyone wanting an email from that wonderful email address, just holler at me via email. I'm surpirsed you could even load Win7 on a 10 year old computer. As stated, I'll bet your problem is the new hardware technology at 64 bits versus 32 bits. I'll do some more research and get back to you via email.

Oh, as for loosing your email I'll bet that the path just changed to the .eml folder/files. I think you are using Outlook so search for a file ending in .eml and reset your path to that, or import the file. Could be .msg

EML files can be saved and opened by wide range of email applications such as Apple Mail, The Bat! Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook (latest versions only), Microsoft Entourage, IncrediMail. EML file can be opened also by Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer. You just need to change the file extension from .EML to .MHT and then it can be opened.

Okay! Getting to technical and verbose here.

Quote:
Did say Wayne is eerie too?
Woo woo, woo woo!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #8160

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

So did Barb's article say why it is then called "Spanish" and "moss"? This sort of misnaming so often happens, and sometimes there's a great backstory.
It looks Spanish and Mossy? Not sure why.

On another note - this is the quietest the mutants have been in a long time. Those not traveling must be out buying my presents! Or, visiting old and new grands, or shopping for others. Or a million other things on the rainbow.

I'm a big online shopper and have been for years. We are even taking the easy way out with the Christmas meal this year. I ordered the Baby Grand from HoneyBaked Hams on Saturday. An 8 lb spiral cut Honey Ham, 2.5 lb turkey breast, 1 lb of Cheddar, wafers and mustard. Haven't done that in years. Hope they're as good as I remember them to be! We will of course focus on home cooked side dishes. Annie shops all year for her family and friends. She shipped it all off today.

So how about you mutants? Online or out and about. A mix of both perhaps? Let's hear it! And while I know we have great smokers, grillers and gourmet cheftants, any meal buyers, hotel buffeters, or others take the easy road to the big meal?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #8161

I have a "refurbished computer" 32 bit version of Win 7 I got with a reburb'd IBM Thinkpad. I'd like to load XP and be done with it, but I wanted to be able to at least scan a document and maybe send/receive a fax.

Your's and Barb's were the only email addys I lost. I had saved the address book as an .ldif file just days before the reload.

Seriously thinking about a new computer. Only need it for emails, research and going to forums.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #8162

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Duckman, Sena loves to shower with me -- provided the water is almost hot enough to scald me, but is terrified of standing water. We shower in the pool house and she hates just walking past the pool to get to the shower.

Last summer I found a tiny salamander on top of the floating pool cover, caught it and released it outdoors. She still barks a warning when we go into the pool house. AND then... The smoke detector started chirping a low battery warning and even Lily would quiver when we were in there. I'm convinced Sena thinks it's a jungle out there and preditors are everywhere.
Well, to Sena it is a Jungle out there and you are her grand protector. I imagine she firmly believes standing water hides potential danger. Although I can't figure the scalding hot shower bit, didn't think rainforest rain got that hot..

And I hate that smoke detector beeping thingy. It's enough to drive anyone nuts...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote