Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #1051

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover
What is this "ponder" thing? Does it hurt when you try it? Should I carry some pills in case it happens to me?
The Art of the RVM Ponder
No worries fellow RVMs. The ponder is painless and good for the mutant mind, body and soul.

For those of you that may have joined mid thread you may have missed the role of the ponder in RVMdom. Here's a little background.

Early on, RVM4 said the RVM way and the philosophy of letting the journey be the destination sounded similar to the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance for RVers.

I had read the book years ago so I did some pondering and provided some quotes from the book. After further pondering I added other quotes, all with a focus on letting the journey be the destination. Some new RVMs have difficulty with this as "going somewhere" is what we do when we travel.

RVMs have chosen a particular means of travel that sets us apart from the frequent flyer and others as well. Ours is the way of the highways, back roads and byways and the now famous RVM unscheduled "roundabout non-interstate long-cut".

The RVM journey is all encompassing. From start to stop. Here to there or elsewhere, the RVM is experiencing travel one mile marker, exit, town, person, at a time. The destination is just another place along the way and often enough the high point of travel happens elsewhere.

My first official ponder post was on 4/21 and from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

“We want to make good time, but for us now this is measured with the emphasis on "good" rather than on "time"....”

To highlight the journey concept a little more. The ponder of the day is....

“It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression, 'As pretty as an airport.”
― Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Ponder and journey freely and often mutants and share them with us. Our time here is short. Dither and fret not over what you aint got. You have the journey to keep you happy and content, and a curiosity of mutants to one day gather.
RVM2 -- Steve and Annie --
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1052

Ah, the curiosity of mutants...one of our better qualities to use as a collective noun, is it? Is it Official? Officious? Offal?

One of Ours actually lives less than 20 miles from our small hilltop, BTW. How amazing is that? We could have a micro-mini mutant rally!

Cheers,
RVM36 Buttinski aka Sue
Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #1053

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz
Ah, the curiosity of mutants...one of our better qualities to use as a collective noun, is it? Is it Official? Officious? Offal?

One of Ours actually lives less than 20 miles from our small hilltop, BTW. How amazing is that? We could have a micro-mini mutant rally!

Cheers,
RVM36 Buttinski aka Sue
I believe it was more or less determined that a single collective can not adequately encompass a gathering of mutants. A curiosity just happens to be my favorite. I believe we a an x-pat Brit in our midst. Perhaps when they are present among the physical gathering of mutants it would be referred to as a parliament of mutants.

Yes - you Don and Sandee are indeed a clustered pair of mutants!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #1054

Who's that ex-pat Brit? This mutant is married to one. Does this mean there are 2 of them here??? Yoiks!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #1055

WOW, There is some serious pondering going on here .........
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #1056

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmankev
WOW, There is some serious pondering going on here .........
It only sounds serious... I have to ponder philosophical, because waxing goes against the grain. I pay others to do the waxing.
RVM2
Old 06-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #1057
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not wax. I do not pay someone to wax. I do not miss wax.

RV looks like original shiny paint. That is what clear coat is supposed to do.

I be a mutant 'cause I don't miss waxing.

Happy trails to all mutants.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #1058

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Who's that ex-pat Brit? This mutant is married to one. Does this mean there are 2 of them here??? Yoiks!
My mutant memory is not what it once was - but I am certain one of our RVMs posted here or elsewhere that the spent the first umpteen years of their life in UK??

I tried to look the reference up but am sleepy now. I did learn that RVM24 - bdickson is a great photographer with an award winning blog.

RVM24 - post up that link if you don't mind. My old iPhone was going to put me through the paces to get it here - and it's nap time...
Old 06-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

My mutant memory is not what it once was - but I am certain one of our RVMs posted here or elsewhere that the spent the first umpteen years of their life in UK??

I tried to look the reference up but am sleepy now...
The ex-Brit mutant woke up when there was mention of roundabouts. They also favor driving on the wrong side of the road.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1060

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

I tried to look the reference up but am sleepy now. I did learn that RVM24 - bdickson is a great photographer with an award winning blog.

RVM24 - post up that link if you don't mind. My old iPhone was going to put me through the paces to get it here - and it's nap time...
I'm the expat Brit. 41 years in the UK, 25 in the USA. Admitted to US Citizenship 14 years ago. The United States is now my home, when I go back to the UK it is like visiting a foreign country, so much has changed and is different from how it is here in the Land of the Free.

I'm also a professional photographer along with my DW. You can view our work here: Dickson Images - Photography of Bruce & Mary Lou Dickson.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1061

This is where we have mutated to this weekend -Samuel Champlain Provincial Park - pix about 50 ft from our campsite.

RVM29
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	40366  
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #1062

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Well Sue - Looks like your DH will have two others to reminisce with. We are indeed a diverse group of wandering mutants!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1063

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVM24 - Thanks Bruce! Some very fine work indeed. I'm actually going to have to put down the iPhone and use my laptop for a change. And that's saying something!
RVM2
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #1064

Thumbs up Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaCub View Post
NOW this is a RVM...

Takes fuel conservation to a whole new level.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote