Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #11369

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tim - every time you list directions - I cut and paste them in my notes... So now I have this...

To GC @ CL
Don, Steve and I discussed putting that info on web site so it doesn't get lost on thread. In a nut shell

I-30 from Texarkana East to Exit 98B ( hwy 270 toward Hot Springs)
I-30 from Little Rock West to Exit 98B
Those coming in from Ok, Ks, Mo, Tn or points north I strongly recommend I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 West to Exit 98B

I will get better info to Steve to post?

Hwy171 is narrow and winding, much better off to go East a few more miles and take 270 follow it to Carpender Dam Road (exit 7) follow that south to Shady Grove rd ( like the first red light ) then left onto Shady Grove and out to CG. Some GPS will lead you through subdivision, was warned by CL of that issue. I'll be there the 23 although I may bring over some firewood, golf cart, boat, rope lights and any other nessessites and drop off a day earlier. Following the GC we head to the State Park to host.

I especially like the part where we take a right at the rope lights.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #11370

More correctly stated, "...make a right, running over rope lights".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #11371

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make life feel normal

My friend, Arlene, whose husband Don is still in a coma after 3.5 weeks has some unique coping skills. For lack of a better term, this one I call -- when chaos is all around you, do something that makes life feel normal. Let me give you an example.

Arlene is a bit OCD, especially in the area of hair. She went to beauty school right out of High School and she and Don were married when she was 18, almost 44 years ago. She has been cutting Don's hair and trimming his beard all these years, and he's one of those guys who never lost any -- a real Teddy Bear of a guy, for sure.

Today when she went up to the ICU to visit Don, he was sitting in a special chair and she noticed how shaggy he was looking. Bear in mind, Don is totally out. His breathing is assisted with a ventilator thru a tracheostomy in his neck and he's being fed thru a tube. At one point she bumped his arm and it flopped listlessly to his side. She simply picked it up and returned it to the chair's armrest.

None of this deters Arlene from her mission: to make sure Don looks as good as possible when he wakes up. So she goes back to the car for her tools.

Once again in his room she puts the shampoo cape around Don's neck and brings out her shears and clippers. Fast, she's not. She is a perfectionist and that takes time. So she chatters away while snipping and clipping, just as if they where in the kitchen at home instead of in a high tech intensive care unit. Only this time, the typically impatient Don, isn't squirming and fidgeting. It's probably the best haircut he's ever had.

At one point she looks up and there is a whole group of doctors and nurses lined up at the glass front of the ICU room, just watching. She pauses and says to the crowd, "Next". Most of them chuckle with her, and one Dr rubs his bald head.

So, the next time chaos consumes you, remember Arlene and do something that helps you feel normal.

Don has been diagnosed with the Miller-Fisher variant of Guillan-Barre Syndrome which has been further compounded by Bickerstaff Brainstem Encephalitis, a known complication, though very rare. The doctors are still optimistic that Don will make a nearly full recovery. The literature I could find on the Internet supports this.

If you know of anyone who has survived any of these, please let me know. Arlene would benefit by being able to talk to someone who has traveled this path. The waiting is tiresome and we're all scared.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #11372

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Tim - every time you list directions - I cut and paste them in my notes... So now I have this... To GC @ CL Don, Steve and I discussed putting that info on web site so it doesn't get lost on thread. In a nut shell I-30 from Texarkana East to Exit 98B ( hwy 270 toward Hot Springs) I-30 from Little Rock West to Exit 98B Those coming in from Ok, Ks, Mo, Tn or points north I strongly recommend I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 West to Exit 98B I will get better info to Steve to post? Hwy171 is narrow and winding, much better off to go East a few more miles and take 270 follow it to Carpender Dam Road (exit 7) follow that south to Shady Grove rd ( like the first red light ) then left onto Shady Grove and out to CG. Some GPS will lead you through subdivision, was warned by CL of that issue. I'll be there the 23 although I may bring over some firewood, golf cart, boat, rope lights and any other nessessites and drop off a day earlier. Following the GC we head to the State Park to host. I especially like the part where we take a right at the rope lights.
Yes the first time we went our GPS took us thru the sub-division and I cussed all the because of tight turns, low hanging limbs, narrow streets etc. Definitely follow Tim's directions and it's an easy drive.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #11373

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We will be coming the tollway around to I-30 on east side of Dallas so we can hook up anywhere. Like most I suspect we run around 60-65 depending on the traffic. We are flexible too on when we leave. We would enjoy a caravan of STM's. I don't like to drive late in the afternoon so I will pull out early (8-9AM). If we can all hookup great but if not no problem. After a week with me you will all be ready to go! LOL
Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #11374

Barb, Arlene and Don are very in love, and it still shows through your fine words.
Inspiring!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #11375

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
We will be coming the tollway around to I-30 on east side of Dallas so we can hook up anywhere. Like most I suspect we run around 60-65 depending on the traffic. We are flexible too on when we leave. We would enjoy a caravan of STM's. I don't like to drive late in the afternoon so I will pull out early (8-9AM). If we can all hookup great but if not no problem. After a week with me you will all be ready to go! LOL
Here is a location of a Arkansas Welcome Center just east of Texarkana.

Texarkana
Mile Marker 7.0

Address
10000 Interstate 30
Texarkana, AR 71854
Phone: 870-772-4301Email: tex.tic@arkansas.gov
Hours of Operation
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily (until 6:00 p.m. Memorial Day through Labor Day)
Restrooms and vending machines available 24/7
Closed: New Year's Day, Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve (at noon), Christmas Day
WiFi: No
Truck Parking: Yes

R/V Dump Station: No
Propane Service: No
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #11376

On the veranda at sunset Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2370826892.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	56320
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #11377

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
I made a mistake on the date. We are leaving the morning of the 23rd.

Great, first mention of unloading firewood and my help skips out! Was that your idea or Ginny's and who's going to tell Mary she has no help. Lol
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #11378

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
On the veranda at sunset Attachment 56320
Dave you look like your enjoying life. Have I missed the pictures of Gwen being posted somewhere, she looks mighty nice. I saw the pic of your chairs but that's all I remember.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #11379

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
On the veranda at sunset Attachment 56320
What a lovely picture!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #11380

Sunset

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893320268.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	56323
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #11381

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Dave you look like your enjoying life. Have I missed the pictures of Gwen being posted somewhere, she looks mighty nice. I saw the pic of your chairs but that's all I remember.
huntnski and virginiamtns, I thank you! I thank my iPhone

We ARE enjoying it, living it. The GC will be so devine!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #11382

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Tim - every time you list directions - I cut and paste them in my notes... So now I have this...

To GC @ CL
Don, Steve and I discussed putting that info on web site so it doesn't get lost on thread. In a nut shell

I-30 from Texarkana East to Exit 98B ( hwy 270 toward Hot Springs)
I-30 from Little Rock West to Exit 98B
Those coming in from Ok, Ks, Mo, Tn or points north I strongly recommend I-40 to Little Rock then I-30 West to Exit 98B

I will get better info to Steve to post?

Hwy171 is narrow and winding, much better off to go East a few more miles and take 270 follow it to Carpender Dam Road (exit 7) follow that south to Shady Grove rd ( like the first red light ) then left onto Shady Grove and out to CG. Some GPS will lead you through subdivision, was warned by CL of that issue. I'll be there the 23 although I may bring over some firewood, golf cart, boat, rope lights and any other nessessites and drop off a day earlier. Following the GC we head to the State Park to host.

I especially like the part where we take a right at the rope lights.
Steve, need to add a warning to those coming in through the Fort Smith area or Northwest Ar. There will be a tendency to drive Scenic Hwy 7 south from I-40 to Hot Springs! Be warned Scenic Hwy is Arkansas talk for We didNt Straitened out any curves! One of the biggest complaints I heard while hosting at the State Park is having to drive MH or tow TT or 5ers on hwy 7!