Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1205
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
RVM1 is up late - hope it's not the lights keeping ya awake. They look brighter than mine.
Enough to light a battlefield!

Family stuff just ended for the day. Whew! Cant wait to get back to abnormal, or Abby Normal, as it were. (What hump?)

Hello bourbon!
Hello bed!
The seat backs and tray tables are placed in their upright and locked positions.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #1206

I can't resist asking, and not because I plan on getting any, but do rope lights run on 12 volts DC, 110 volts AC, propane, or solar power ?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #1207
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmankev View Post
I can't resist asking, and not because I plan on getting any, but do rope lights run on 12 volts DC, 110 volts AC, propane, or solar power ?
Yes

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #1208

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmankev
RVM1 says Yes and to that I would add No
So yes and no.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #1209
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmankev View Post
To be precise, with all due respect to both RVM1 and RVM2, the correct answer is yes, yes, no, yes. You can buy varieties that run on everything but propane. That is unless you have a propane generator. Then your 110 v rope lights will technically run on propane.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #1210

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky

To be precise, with all due respect to both RVM1 and RVM2, the correct answer is yes, yes, no, yes. You can buy varieties that run on everything but propane. That is unless you have a propane generator. Then your 110 v rope lights will technically run on propane.
Hey Barb!! Pretty sure if we allow propane generator as technically propane - then RVM1 was correct with Yes. I did not consider that and so my / our No may be technically incorrect.

How goes??
Old 06-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1211
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey Barb!! Pretty sure if we allow propane generator as technically propane - then RVM1 was correct with Yes. I did not consider that and so my / our No may be technically incorrect.

How goes??
Then we should also consider that in my coach all 12 V rope lights are actually solar.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1212

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky

Then we should also consider that in my coach all 12 V rope lights are actually solar.
Anyone have hamsters on a wheel powered rope lights?

I think we're closing in on it...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #1213
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kayak inaugural journey

I picked up my new kayak in Clackamas, OR on Monday morning, then headed for my friend's place on the Washington side of the Columbia River. The weather has not been cooperating until yesterday morning, when I was finally able to get the kayak wet for the first time.

Bear in mind that prior to yesterday, my sum total kayak experience has been 30 minutes on a lake in Oklahoma. So I wrestle the kayak out of the motorhome and into the Smart Car, back hatch open and passenger seat folded flat, then drive over to the other side of the property where the harbor and dock are.

The dock is one of these plastic floating types and they have 3 spaces really close to the water called "Easy-Port". So I place the kayak down on the easy port rollers, step in, sit down, grab my paddle and use my hands to propel me and kayak forward and into the water. YEAH! That was really easy, I think confidently. Maybe I really don't need to take kayaking lessons. Just as I swing around and head towards the harbor's outlet into the river, the wind starts to blow. Ok, so I'll just stay in the harbor.

So I paddle around the dock, getting used to the movement, learning to turn, back up and maneuver for about 45 minutes and getting bored, decide to quit for the day.

Now it's time to get out. This is not like the OK lake with gently sloping banks where I just semi beached the kayak and stepped out. Ok, so I'll go up beside the dock and hop out. But, my knees long ago forgot how to hop and after several rather scary attempts, I decide to try to paddle up on the Easy-Port. Hmmm, that doesn't work. Next I notice some ropes tied to the front of the Easy-Port and try to pull me and the kayak up. No, OK, there's a concrete boat ramp over there so I paddle over, semi beach the kayak and proceed to stand up and the kayak scoots back towards the water. You see, the concrete has a generous algae growth and is as slick as snot. The kayak goes right, I go left and I'm now in the cold water, slipping deeper thanks to the snot-like algae. Miraculously, I did manage to grab the kayak before it shot into open water. I start crawling up the concrete with one hand and manage to beach the kayak so I could use two hands to finally crawl up the concrete ramp and stand up. That's when I feel my right shorts pocket buzzing. Oh #*^%}, I forgot to take my new cell phone out of my pocket. It is soaked!

So, I scramble up the ramp and hurry over to my car and drive to the friend's house, who thinks I'm nuts when I ask for rice and a ziplock bag. Ok, rice do your job and dry out my phone. I didn't buy stupidity insurance for it.

Now, to get the kayak, that gulped in about 20 gallons of water. And the boat ramp is too steep for me to drag it much past the snot-algae line. Ahh, OK, I have rope in the rig. I get it, tie one end to a car tow point and the other to the little rope handle on the front of the kayak, get back in the car, gently release the emergency brake with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. All the while I'm praying that the car doesn't join the kayak in the water.

The water gods were kind and straining hard on all 3 of it's cylinders, Smarty pulled the waterlogged kayak up above the snot-algae line so I can roll it over and dump out most of the water.

Does anyone know how long it takes rice to dry out a cellphone?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1214

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Barb - I laid back hoping someone could answer how long it takes rice to dry a cell phone out - cause I don't know.

Anyone know?
I can't believe your experience with the kayak. But we can talk and will probably be talking (and laughing) about that for a long time.

So does rice really dry a cell phone out? And if so - how long does it take?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #1215

Depends on how wet it got... Submerged? How long? Rice does work; couple of days to a week maybe. More effective are the little packets of silica gel (come with new shoes, or you can order them at amazon). Good luck!
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #1216

At least you didn't get flipped! Or did you? My first kayak lesson, I had to prove I could roll back upright from an underwater position.
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #1217
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It takes as long as it takes and you can't rush it.

To find out if the phone is truly water damaged, check the corner near where the battery is – there should be a white square or circle, with or without red lines. If this is pink or red, your phone has water damage.

Remove the SIM card if your phone has one. Some or all of your valuable contacts (along with other data) could be stored on your SIM. For many people, this could be more valuable and worthy of saving than the phone itself.

Remove all other peripherals such as ear buds, memory cards, as well as any phone cases or protective covers. Remove all plugs that cover the gaps, slots, and crevices in the phone to expose them to air drying.

Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out any water it can from any of the keys, slots, openings, etc. take the battery and covers off and vacuum. DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER.

Place the phone in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice overnight.

Rotate the phone to a different position every hour until you go to sleep. This will allow any water left inside to run down and hopefully find an opening to escape.

A faster and better method may be to use a desiccant. Desiccants can be purchased at flower stores and are used for flower drying.

Rots of ruck!

Had a cell phone in my shirt pocket. Here is the visual. Men's restroom - need I say more. Cell phone was toast (soggy at that!)

Edited: Typically silica gels that come with shoes have reached their moisture capacity.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #1218
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Here you go. What to do:

Save a Wet Cell Phone - wikiHow