Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
Scent is such a powerful trigger for memory. ....

RVM4
That got my curiosity going, so I looked it up:

"Have you ever noticed that a particular scent can bring forth a rush of vivid memories? The smell of cookies baking might remind you of spending time at your grandmother's house when you were a small child. The scent of a particular perfume might remind you of a romantic partner with whom your relationship ended on a sour note.

Why does smell seem to act as such a powerful memory trigger?

First, the olfactory nerve is located very close to the amygdala, the area of the brain that is connected to the experience of emotion as well as emotional memory. In addition, the olfactory nerve is very close to the hippocampus, which is associated with memory as you learned earlier in this article.

The actual ability to smell is highly linked to memory. Research has shown that when areas of the brain connected to memory are damaged, the ability to identify smells is actually impaired. In order to identify a scent, you must remember when you have smelled it before and then connect it to visual information that occurred at the same time. According to some research, studying information in the presence of an odor actually increases the vividness and intensity of that remembered information when you smell that odor again."

M

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #1346
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dang, we get to play AND learn here. Such a marvelous place, this curiosity, and aptly so named. Thanks Moonrover!

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #1347
RVM1

Ah yes, scents.

Where I grew up, the house had a vent for the kitchen vent fan over the back door.
When we got home from school, you knew what was for supper, or that fresh bread was in the making. No matter if your day had been good or bad, your mood was good by the time you touched the door knob.

Now, as we travel, the scent of freshly mown grass harkens me back to my many years of mowing. Making hay at grandmas farm. Making 50 cents at the old homestead with the old grunt-and-push reel mower, and later making my own "Lawns and Gardens" look at my own home with the John Deere. Now, it also reminds me of one of the many toils I will never do again.

I could go on and on.
Who is next?

RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #1348

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Oh come on ... fess up, you miss the SNOW !! Anybody that has never rolled up a snowman did not have a good childhood.
I could have accepted a deprived childhood then. LOL
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #1349

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I sure won't miss the rolling up of snow. I sure won't miss the the 30-40 degree and rain days. I also won't miss "camping". All the memorial day weekends pitching the tent in the dark, in the rain. The constant zip up and down of the tent by the kids. Taking them the the bathroom in the dark in the middle of the night.

We fulltime this fall, and even though we will do lots of boondocking, (I hope), I will not consider it camping. I will just feel I'm out in my cabin somewhere.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #1350
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The smell of canvas reminds of aching bones and a sore back from laying on the cold damp ground, pouring rain causing a flooded tent, hangovers from drinking all day and well into the night, smoked up clothing, bed head from no showers, mud, and a lot of really good memories collecting all the above.

I only did that a couple of times before I mutated to the campsite engineer. I brought out (2) 40'x20' tarps and seamed them together in a peak and covered my whole campsite with a roof. We used to have our tents, campfire, vehicles and the boat all parked under "The Big Top". Other campers used to stop all the time and marvel at my creation. We were always the ones having a good time while others were huddled in their tents trying to stay dry out of the rain.

That was when I was in my early twenties. Ah.......how things have mutated since then.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #1351

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey dog patch, same smells and memories. No tarp over my head though. We camped like that 2-3 weekends a year for 7-8 years until the kids didn't want to do it anymore. Our old tent was from the sixties, green canvas that would leak inside if you touched it with your finger on the inside.

I acted disappointed when the kids one by one said they didn't want to camp anymore, but I was secretly happy. It was a lot of work.

In 1998 we sold everything and camped for 4 months, mostly out west in a Aerostar van. It was then my wife started telling me she really always wanted an RV. I said no way would I ever own such a thing. Look at me now.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
.... Our old tent was from the sixties, green canvas that would leak inside if you touched it with your finger on the inside.
Yeah and the instructions for tent assemble did not mention that little "feature", or if they did it was "Please not to touch inside tent when rain". Our tent instructions were printed in many languages, with English looking like it was written by a Chinese kid trying to write with a French accent.

That was with those old green canvas tents. Now things have improved with fiberglass bowed poles and rip stop nylon. The darned things sort pop ... snap ... poof, and they are standing tall. Never owned one of those, however. Gave up "tenting" after the green monster wore out. I'm certain our kids were happy to see that thing toted out to the street with the trash.

Why is it that adversity holds such fond memories? <sigh>
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1353
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember going camping with my father in a WWII vintage tent. It was heavy white canvas with wooden poles, and someone had painted a tree on each side with black paint. I think it was supposed to be wartime camouflage to fool the Germans. Any time we touched the inside when it was raining a leak would start. We had to run a finger all the way down from the leak to make a track for the water to run down. My vivid memory is as a 5 or 6 year old going behind a rock with trowel and paper not realizing I was facing the track where the local farmer drove his tractor every morning.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1354
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My first camping experiences were with my ex-DH back in the early 70’s. He brought 2 shelter halves back from Viet Nam that we packed into my 1970 Chevy Vega along with a Coleman stove, sleeping bags and an wooden Army foot locker that we painted blue to match the car. It held all of our kitchen essentials and extra mantles for the Coleman lantern.

In 1974 we bought a white Dodge cargo van which we insulated, paneled and built a bed across the back. It had room for our daughter's porta-crib. That was great fun. But it didn't last.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #1355
RVM1

My first camping experience was when my folks took me and my 2 older sisters to the Black Hills.
I was 8 months old and spent most of the travel time sleeping in the back window of Dads 32 Ford.
I dont remember much of it.

More when I find the old pics on my PC. Will include the origin of "Daven".

Love the stories! Keep it coming!

RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #1356

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My nephew used to love riding in the back window of the car, now it would be child abuse to let a kid ride there.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #1357

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was ten we moved to Texas from California so my earliest camping experiences are tent camping at Lake Cachuma and Kings Canyon. We were tent campers with one exception.

We traveled with the family across the street to Kings Canyon. They had a camper on their truck. We had our trusty tent. The next trip to Lake C my parents rented a small TT. I was not impressed but mom was happy. What I remember most about the TT trip - climbing the big tree in our campsite. What I remember most about the trip to Kings Canyon - the smell of redwood, sitting around the campfire, and the doll my dad carved from some pine wood for my little sister. I still love the smell of redwood and a nice campfire. Not sure if my sister still has the doll or not. It was around for many years.
RVM2
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hee-hee

Attachment 40890

About 7 tons of duck
Yup, that's one BIG duck!

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote