Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #1373
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

....Going back and forth on what to keep. Sometimes we think we'll follow RVM1s method - find a picker and let it all go. But there are some things....

RVM2
About every couple of months we ask each other if we miss any of the stuff we sold. Still nope. A bit more mutation and we may never have thoughts about it.

But I do have a few family antiquities and heirlooms that are in refer size safe, in a very secure, climate controlled 5x5 storage locker. About $40/month.

Uh-oh...uh-oh...Mutating...uncontrollable expound...When I was a DJ, in my mid 30s, my stage name was Captain Forehead...because I had so much of it. It all bailed out before I was 27.

RVM1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #1374

Yeah, antiques were a tough one for us too. However after offering them to offspring with no results, we decided to have an auction house haul them off. Did not have the heart to go see the stuff sell, but when the check for the sale arrived, we were surprised. A few things looked like they went too cheap, but the rest went far higher than expected.

I'm out of the "collect stuff because it is going to be valuable someday" phase.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Uh-oh...uh-oh...Mutating...uncontrollable expound...When I was a DJ, in my mid 30s, my stage name was Captain Forehead...because I had so much of it. It all bailed out before I was 27.

RVM1
I'm convinced it has something to do with massive brain power radiating outward thus destroying the hair follicles. That's my theory, and until proven wrong, I'm glad my brain is finally powerful enough to chase away the hair.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #1376
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hey mate. Was reading another thread - you still a POD Person. Going back and forth on what to keep. Sometimes we think we'll follow RVM1s method - find a picker and let it all go. But there are some things....

Yep - no winterizing is a good a thing!!
RVM2
Steve, we debated between PODS and a regular storage lockup. A 12x15 POD was $159.95 a month when we signed up. (Since gone up $10). A non climate controlled 12x15 lockup was $105 a month. For the first year we had one of these for DW's Rav4 which she wasn't ready to sell. When we went back after a year I could not believe the layer of dust and pollen that was on it. I'd have gone climate controlled for the car but we couldn't find one with a drive in door. We've been back to the POD once, and everything inside was as clean as when we packed it. The warehouse temperature is guaranteed at 50 to 80 degrees. Money well spent in my opinion.

As for what to keep and what to let go, when we sold the house and packed the POD our plan was to full time for a year and see how we liked it. So the POD contains a basic set of furniture and essentials that would get us started in an apartment. Now 1.5 years in, our full timing plan is open ended, so driving the POD over to Goodwill is half in jest, half in earnest.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1377

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Bruce. I'm not attached to much. Annie on the other hand.... She loves the holidays (her mom was born on Christmas Day). She has Dickens Houses - street lights - dogs - etc. More than a little. Thanksgiving - Easter - you name it - something for any occasion. She has always loved to entertain and chef up and decorate for a party. We still have a thought of maybe coming off the road one day and she / we go back and forth on what to toss overboard. She is fully in on the going - open to forever - but knows life can toss toss ya curve ball. In the meantime we keep mutating and letting go of the low hanging fruit.
RVM2
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #1378

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

I mentioned this before when Herb first told of his issue - my bypass is at floor level in the rear closet next to the washer dryer cabinet. It's on our checklist!
RVM2
RVM2 you were correct in that my bypass was in the closet next to the washer however I kept opening the two doors looking for the bypass and couldn't find it. Finally I got the bright idea to remove all the screws on the bottom panel and remove it and woo hoo there it was. Problem was the former owner had the coach winterized at a dealer and it was his first time too so he didn't even know where the bypass was. Yes I did burn up the electric element but once I found it ...easy to replace. I'm about to do a service to the generator tomorrow before we leave for Denver next week. Hopefully that will be in eventful. I am wishing my gen. Was on a slide out trey but its not so I will have to deal with it.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #1379
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks Bruce. I'm not attached to much. Annie on the other hand.... She loves the holidays (her mom was born on Christmas Day). She has Dickens Houses - street lights - dogs - etc. More than a little. Thanksgiving - Easter - you name it - something for any occasion. She has always loved to entertain and chef up and decorate for a party. We still have a thought of maybe coming off the road one day and she / we go back and forth on what to toss overboard. She is fully in on the going - open to forever - but knows life can toss toss ya curve ball. In the meantime we keep mutating and letting go of the low hanging fruit.
RVM2
I hear ya. We worked with a couple last winter who had been full timers for 13 years. They travelled between volunteer assignments in a convoy of a 40 foot DP and a truck camper. Both vehicles were maxed out, in fact the truck camper was pretty much a mobile storage unit. Then they had a "base camp" at an Escapees park in Texas, where they kept several storage sheds of stuff. It looked like they were dragging all the stuff from their stick&brick around the country with them. The lady admitted to six large Rubbermaid containers of holiday ornaments in the basement. To each their own, I guess.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #1380

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh Lordy. Bruce that's sounds horrible. We have already downsized to a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 car garage. Every time we offload something it's liberating. We get that for sure. Not much chance of us hauling stuff around. One day at a time. Thanks for story - almost sounds like mobile hoarders. I'm scared straight.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #1381
RVM1

Quote:
Oh Lordy. Bruce that's sounds horrible. We have already downsized to a 2 bedroom apartment with 2 car garage. Every time we offload something it's liberating. We get that for sure. Not much chance of us hauling stuff around. One day at a time. Thanks for story - almost sounds like mobile hoarders. I'm scared straight.
Well, we went all in. Everything we sold is replaceable.

We saved a few tiny holiday things that take up about 1 cf.

All pics and family VCR tapes digitized, copys to family, triple backup: 2 external hard drives (1 in the locker) and on DVD.
Now, being digital, we actually look at them!

Everything we had "collections" of went to the kids that has interest in them. So we can always stop and see them. which we havent; dont miss nor need.

After1 year away, unloaded about 150 lbs of stuff we thought we might need. Didnt. Gone.

Yep! We did a full-stop, total divestiture, clean start.

But our dreamed of it started 45 years ago .....today!

Dave and Nola
RVM1
Extremely Happy Fulltimers

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #1382

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave and Nola -
RVM1 - Happy 45th Anniversary!

If anyone can remember that far back - when I kicked this thread off - one of the points I made about us and RVM1 is that -

"Dave and I both owe our adventure to our DWs who enjoy laughing at us and keeping us in line."

The laughing and keeping us in line is no small task. We mutants can be a handful sometimes.

Again - 45 years and counting - that's the Sapphire Anniversary. Just sayin.
RVM2
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #1383
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been married 45 years too, if I'm allowed to aggregate them all. Took me a while to get it right.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #1384
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
45 years...

I'll be hitting my 16th anniversary this coming week. I thought that was a long time! My parents were together about 55 years before Pops passed.

Always good when you can get to be a "High Miler"! Done something right.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #1385

I introduce my wife as ... "this is my first wife". Sorts keeps her from being too complacent. Then she says ... "My next husband is going to be a lot younger"
Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #1386
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
My wife is 12 years younger than me. Not a big spread except......

In conversation, she'll say to people "Do you realize he was in Grade 12 when I was in Grade 1"?

I always have to retort "Yes, but I wasn't dating her then"!