Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #939

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the science project tester thingy --

Doesn't my Progressive Industries hardwired Surge Guard do the same thing? I'm 30 amp also, not 50.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #940

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Just thought of something. A bunch of geese is called a gaggle. Who in the world thought up all these names for what they are called? Had to have been a mutant.

Jerry RVM3
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #941

Okmunky,

Thanks for that idea. I have a wall outlet, rather than car charger, but I went looking on amazon and found a good USB extension cable. It will be much easier to read all night now. Uh-oh!

RVM4
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #942

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
On the science project tester thingy --

Doesn't my Progressive Industries hardwired Surge Guard do the same thing? I'm 30 amp also, not 50.
Hi Barb and Sena. Hope your Journey is going well!!

Yep. Once we are hooked up my Voltage Controller and PI SP take over - and yes most problems will occur after you have been hooked up - like a surge or low voltage due to high use and so on. The science project just let's you confirm that everything is ok before you drag out the cord. I have seen some pretty wobbly posts that looked like they would fall over in a wind gust. With this thing I know there is good power at the post before I plug in. It's a nice to have - especially if it's hot out. If there is a problem - call office - tell em - hey this is a fake 50 or open ground, etc and I need to move.

Annie and I are still working out our coming and going duties - and trying to balance who does what to achieve the Barb and Sena "fast get away / arrival" setup you have posted about elsewhere. Looks like she can get out - guide me in if a back in - test power with science project - then I dump air - lower jacks - she spots as I extend 3 slides. She plugs us in - I turn on a/c and then join her outside and we get the plumbing set up. Viola! She watched a neighbor lady do her 5th wheel this past weekend - and said - I want to be able to do it all just like she did. Of course we don't have to hook up a trailer - but toad is next in the list.

You're fine with your SP and the 30 amp cord is lighter - and only one leg so not as much of an issue. Along with the benefit I saw in having it - it was also a fun project. Got me an BIL into better understanding of 50 amp 120 VAC and kept us out of trouble for a while.
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
You need to take a winter journey to the upper Midwest.
Well, thank you for the invitation, but...ummm...I think I have to wash my hair that night...

My ancestors are from FL, TX, and CA--I was bred to be tropical.
RVM4
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #944
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A pride of lions.

A murder of crows (as well as their cousins, rooks and ravens.)

A parliament of owls.

A congress of baboons. (No comments, please.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
1. What don't you touch while RV Mutating (and of course don't miss). Not limited to Full Timers - as we mutants have no limits.
Two things:
Alarm clock -- Just don't need it; when I'm not going to work, I sleep in 'til sunrise and wake up to birdsong and the smell of bacon on a campfire.

Sewer hose/black tank -- In our division of labor, that is strictly the boys' job. I'll do just about anything else needed. Well, I don't chop firewood very well, either.

PS -- Had my first driving sesson in a big empty parking lot yesterday. Now I have some empathy for my 16-yr-old daughter who gets impatient with me "freaking out" when she knows everything is under control. I didn't hit anything, though!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #946

Another quirky thing about testing at the power pole before hooking up ... how to avoid standing in the water puddle that always seems to be located in front of the electric box. My method sometimes is just wait for the rain to stop, but that could be a long ordeal. So ... just avoid standing in the water puddle ... sneak up on the electric box and touch it with the backside of my hand (its an art, takes practice to perfect the method) ... if hair on head is not standing up like a rooster do ... then AOK to grasp box lid to open ... look inside for nesting hornets, spiders etc (they own the box, you don't, respect this arrangement) ... next insure that breakers are all OFF ... insert tester ... if stuff looks good then have wife drag out 50amp cord and plug in ... stand back out of water puddle if possible ... using tips of fingers only, push up on 50amp breaker levers ... pray for an uneventful internal transfer switch "click" sound inside rig (no sparks , no smell of burning Bakelite)

That's it for the rainy day method. Much easier for dry weather connection task. Other "at the pole" events might be connection to park video cable outlet. Have to hunt for the elusive little connection. Park owners love setting up a hide and seek game. Almost like an Easter egg hunt. The prize is eventually a solid connection to a dozen local stations in languages other than your own, and a few local ones that although you understand, are covering local events of amazing boredom. Makes watching used car commercials almost interesting.

Forgot what my original thought was. Oh yes, something about not standing in a water puddle with finger in live electric outlet. Anyway I'm busy, have to set up chaise lounge chair to watch someone mow grass. The sight and sound of work helps induce sleep (mid-morning nap).
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
A pride of lions.

A murder of crows (as well as their cousins, rooks and ravens.)

A parliament of owls.

A congress of baboons. (No comments, please.)
Is there a term for a herd of unicorns? If not, then we might be allowed to coin a term. Any suggestions?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post

Is there a term for a herd of unicorns? If not, then we might be allowed to coin a term. Any suggestions?
Orchestra? Cornucopia?

One of my favorites is an unkindness of ravens.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post

Orchestra? Cornucopia?

One of my favorites is an unkindness of ravens.
Unfortunately there is already a name. I should have "googled" before I posted the question.

A herd of unicorns is called a "blessing". Yeah, I know, it sure does not sound logical. I was hopeful the unicorn herd name was still unfilled. My choices might have been ... Mirage ... Hangover ... Dream, but blessing? Bleh ...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #950
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Just thought of something. A bunch of geese is called a gaggle. Who in the world thought up all these names for what they are called? Had to have been a mutant.

Jerry RVM3
I know, I know, Pick me..

Google

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #951

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Given the mutants fascination with things - apparently up to and including collective nouns - perhaps a collection of mutants would be --- wait for it...

Overheard at a CG - "Yes - that is a curiosity of mutants settled in back there along the river. They are aka as RVMs."
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #952

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Given the mutants fascination with things - apparently up to and including collective nouns - perhaps a collection of mutants would be --- wait for it...

Overheard at a CG - "Yes - that is a curiosity of mutants settled in back there along the river. They are aka as RVMs."

Ooooooooooo......

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote