Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #1289
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My disposable income went down the toilet! Still trying to get it back! LOL

I'm not retiring till I build the box! LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #1290
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Flacamper - I'm with Moonrover on air. Ours came with the Sleep Number but our hide a bed is from Flexsteel and I believe it says Queen Aire on it. I have not slept on it - but my BIL swears by it. He got up 4 mornings in a row and commented on how much he liked it. It's nowhere near as padded and covered as the deluxe or whatever the high end SN bed is called but apparently works great. They have come a long way with these air beds. Something to consider. I have to say - I sleep better in the Bounder than I do in my S&B traditional bed and it's no slouch.

Mutants should have the best beds their money can buy. It makes the dream journeys as great as the waking ones.
Steve,
You possibly have made a mistake in providing comfortable sleeping arrangements for other than you and Annie.

Haven't you heard that when it comes to accommodations, RV's can accommodate drinks for 6, food for 4 and sleeps 2.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #1291

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M

Steve,
You possibly have made a mistake in providing comfortable sleeping arrangements for other than you and Annie.

Haven't you heard that when it comes to accommodations, RV's can accommodate drinks for 6, food for 4 and sleeps 2.
Yep. Heard that Wayne - but when BIL and my sister divorced - I got him in the settlement.

Known him since '77 or '78. We live about 5 miles apart and my sister never cared too much for me anyway. We have nearly swamped bass boats - camped - and seen more live blues and concerts together than ya can shake a stick at. He's really more the brother I never had. He is sworn to secrecy on the accommodations.

As for our mutant curiosity - a mutant in need of a temporary sleeping arrangement has one - provided they are not in the Witness Protection Program or currently wanted by the police (thanks for reminding me of this criteria Moonrover in that other thread).
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #1292

Quote:
.... A little curious how other mutants cleared the decks (or didn't) before hitting the road full time. ....
Good topic for discussion. Likely no two stores are alike. However one common fact is that we are all dealing with inflation. I've lived a long time, and don't ever recall "deflation" happening. Always inflation, but for most of my years it was a generally predictable low percentage. People could actually save and invest with the real expectation of growing asset value or at least holding on to it. Now, placing money into "savings" is not going to keep up with inflation. It is a conundrum of wrestling with the desire to "keep and save" or spend now before inflation shrinks the buying power of your dollars.

Very possibly the nomadic lifestyle of a full-time RVer provides the necessary flexibility to avoid fixed expenses (house, property taxes, upkeep), not to mention depreciating house values. However other expenses have to be shouldered when full-timing. I contend they are much more controllable. We can slow the travel when fuel costs rise. We can select better climates where heating/cooling expenses are tolerable. Parking fees vary, so we can select a park or boondock area that fits the budget. Clothing costs are reduced if we want, because the closets have limited space. Hobbies don't have to be expensive either. No need to "keep up with the Smith's" with a costly country club membership. No need for a garage full of trendy vehicles.

And best of all ... I may get flamed for saying this ... we can be in a group of fellow RVers who do not give a hoot about the pecking order of "class".

Did I stray off topic here? Won't be the first time I've "wandered". <lol>
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #1293

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover
And best of all ... I may get flamed for saying this ... we can be in a group of fellow RVers who do not give a hoot about the pecking order of "class".

Did I stray off topic here? Won't be the first time I've "wandered". <lol>
Thanks for some excellent points Moonrover (edited from your post in my my quote).

I'm going to do the absolute minimum service this summer. August is my "time" for time and distance service - as I had it done at purchase last August. I will be no where near distance, but I'm at 5 years and there are some other things to do. Going to push it until first of year (with Freightliner approval of course.). When we get on the road FT - I see us settling in a while for winter - so it makes fiscal sense to have maintenance done then.

On the other items - mutants would never flame one another. And there is only one class of mutants - and that's first class! I have paid little or no attention to what mutants drive, tow, push or pull with a horse. The journey is our destination.

I don't think we can actually stray off topic here. We have a unifying topic. We are all RVMs!!
RVM2
Old 06-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Flacamper ... Yes an adjustable air bed might be so good that you will stay in the camper even when not camping. The highly advertised "Sleep Number" things are good but costly. After checking competing brands, we settled on "Comfortaire". Purchased on-line. The quality is top-notch, and there is a memory foam layer above the actual air mattress. Best sleeping we've ever had. One tiny caveat is that being filled with air, they balloon up when you travel from a low to higher altitude. No big deal but it was kind of freaky to walk into the bedroom after a trip to an RV park in the Rockies and see a bulged up mattress. They will not rupture because there is a max pressure relief valve in the air-up system.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the Comfortaire thingy...
Flacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #1295

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
With Sena's help, I just figured it out. Peaches have fuzzy skins so that monkeys can eat them.*

Sena and I were sharing a peach. If I handed her a piece that was peeled, she simply could not hold onto it. It was like the cartoon character with a bar of soap. Every time she picked it up, the peach slice shot out of her hands. An unpeeled piece she held with ease.*

So now you know, peach fuzz is for monkeys.*
Heck, if it wasn't for a fork, the pealed peach slice would slip out of my hands too..

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacamper View Post
Well fellow mutants, back from the maiden voyage. Other than the matress feeling like concrete, it went well. Awning leaked a little and one TV didn't work on cable. Had our two granddaughters with us. (Ages 3 & 7), HOLY smokes, I'm wore out from chasing them around the pool, trying to keep them calm at bedtime and then trying to sleep on a rock. I wouldn't change a thing. All in all the new APEX was great. Now to try and read the last four or five pages of the thread that I missed. Oh, I will be checking into one of those sleep number mattress thingies.
We were able to replace the RV mattress with a residential queen from our guest bedroom, made a great difference.

Put the skinny hard RV mattress in the guest room....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I've already killed a cellphone this week, now you are suggesting that I add my video camera to the trashed electronics heap???? I need a videographer. Any volunteers? I pay in fresh juicy ripe peaches.
Are they freestone peaches? By the bushel?...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #1298

Quote:
Calling all RVMs. RVM1 and I were discussing starting a thread - RVMs on the Road. There are 38 of us now - and I suspect more are lurking. With TEFFYs post yesterday about the generator being out - we got to thinking it might be a good idea to have a travel log for us to share our journeys and to let each other know where we are, and if out and about and in need. Ya never know where one of us might be who can help.

I would want to have a link back to this thread in case someone lurking wants to join in the RVM Curiosity. But a RVM travel log seems like it might be a good idea. I don't want to take advantage of the site with a bunch of threads but this might be a good idea.

Any thoughts on this? Are we good with the 1 thread or would a traveling thread be a good idea? Let us know.
Happy Fathers Day to all mutant dads out there.

And TEFFY - report in please. We are shining the MutantLight in the sky for you!!
RVM2
Kept on point, a travel log might be very useful. After all, what's one more thread to peruse?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1299

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only thing I don't like about our travel abode is the bed. It was great for the first few trips, but lately it is sagging toward the center. Looking underneath we discovered it is only supported by 1/2" OSB. So DH is going to have to beef it up, then maybe we can get a sleep number or knock off. We have that in S&B and love it. But even that would still need some kind of bracing underneath for support. Does Comfortaire make RV king size beds? Where are they located? Oh DUH! guess I should look them up myself ... Huh?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #1300

Hey you sick twisted RVMs!

Our RV bed was good. We made it better.
A 2.5 inch no-name memory foam topper thingy. A hunert bucks. :-)

I have never stayed at a holiday inn express, nor the Biltmore Castle in Asheville. But I did get 11.5 MPG today. But that is another story.

I like my steak to be a porterhouse, a T-bone with the tender "eye" in it. Just knock off the horns, wipe the behind, take the cut, a little sizzle on each side. With Johnny's seasoning, sauteed portabellos, and a fire-cooked spud.

I turn down roads with my Wrangler just because they have nifty names, like Christmas Tree Pass, or Frog Hollow Lane.

I like chocolate, but a little bitter. 63% cocoa is perfect.

My favorite pudding is tappioca... No vanilla.

My grandson, at 2, called ketchup "gup-gup" and shrimp "fremps", even if it was crabs, and I will always call them that.

Nola and I met on a blind date. She hated me. When she needed a date for winter formal, her best friend said "ask that guy Dave. Hey, yer not gonna marry him". Our anniversary is next Saturday. 45

It is a gorgeous night here in the Wisconsin Dells. Brad does not know he is going to ride a Duck tomorrow.

You RVMs are driving me wild with all these fine posts. Just wish I could think of something to say.

So....Sup?

Dave and Nola
RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #1301

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Dave - make that 2 RVM1 Platters to go - no substitution - just as described.

I haven't heard from Berthas Kitty Boutique in the Dells about sponsoring our first RVM Curiosity. If have time swing by and ask Bertha what gives. Pick up some Powder Milk Biscuits while you're at it. I'll pay ya when I see ya.

RVM2
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #1302

Tonight's ponder as you wander

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” – Martin Buber

Deeper and deeper, goin' down!
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote