Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #1597

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Note to self..... Never again spend the nite in Amarillo at "Overnite RV Park" unless of course you enjoy the sound of landing jets on final approach at 1000 ft above your bed. What ding dong at Good SAMs gave this place an 8.5 rating? Was he deaf? I would use the ear plugs but the vibration defeats the purpose! Is this a rite of passage for Newbies?
If it is for an overnight, I'd stay at the Pilot truck stop across the street. You can park on either side of the wide and long exit road and be away from truck noise, but the airport noise is the same.

Did you go into town for the "free" 72oz steak dinner?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #1598

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Moonrover

The steak is tempting but no we are passing thru on the way to Denver. Been there ..done that..won't be back to this place.
RVM 31
Old 07-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #1599

I know the feeling. Even with multiple research methods it still is no assurance that a park will live up to its ratings. So far our worst is near Cullman, Alabama. The experience was so "event filled" that I even wrote a short story about it. Look for it to appear as a movie ... Deliverance, The Sequal.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #1600
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Lets have a read of that thar story. Post her!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #1601

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb
Note to self..... Never again spend the nite in Amarillo at "Overnite RV Park" unless of course you enjoy the sound of landing jets on final approach at 1000 ft above your bed. What ding dong at Good SAMs gave this place an 8.5 rating? Was he deaf? I would use the ear plugs but the vibration defeats the purpose! Is this a rite of passage for Newbies?
Hey Herb. Zooommm Roooar
This place is as flat as a pancake - not a tree in sight and basically a giant parking lot - but no jets. Exit 60 - 3 miles from Amarillo heading east from NM. $32.50. Has propane - we didn't see anything there - in at 8 - and out by 9:30 am or so. RV Oasis.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4083938359.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	452.8 KB
ID:	41612
RVM2
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Lets have a read of that thar story. Post her!
Well, OK ... hope it is not offensive to sensitive mutants.

Central Alabama RV Park Adventure

Never stay at an RV park near Cullman. The sign pointing to the park is on a nice smooth highway, but the steep dropping left turn onto the road to hell started at the sign. Down it went, things got worse. Hairpin twisting turns, and more steep declines. My wife screamed from somewhere in the rear of the bus something about the desk pencil drawer had popped open. She was trying to secure the other desk drawers when another sharp turn opened all of them. For the next half mile, she was being tossed around on the floor with the contents of several drawers. Luckily we did not meet any oncoming traffic when careening down the hills into the park. Finally the park entry loomed into sight. A golf cart with camp attendant was there to guide us to our parking spot. She reminded me of Minnie Pearl. Nice lady, but drove that golf cart like it was a Porsche. This place would make a good movie set for Deliverance. Beside that the place is a real challenge to get to. The so-called pull-through sites are very tight for a big rig in and out. Had the park been full, it would have been impossible for me to make the turns. Tree limbs are also an issue. Consider staying at a truck stop (ANY truck stop) before committing to stay at the Cullman Campground. Oh, almost forgot, there are plenty of permanent squatters who seem to always be out working on noisy pickup truck engines that won't start until they crank them for what seems like hours.
Strangely close "target practice" was going on out in the woods when we arrived. The management's blasé explanation that some good 'ol boys were just testing some new ammo did not really give me comfort. Each permanent resident has unique personas. Unexpectedly I was followed on my way back from the office to the bus. A bearded guy driving a makeshift car rolls up beside me with a blunt question. "Hey Mac, you sellin' dat bus?" I had to eek out a smile with my "No" for fear of sounding unfriendly. He was obviously wanting to engage in conversation, and I was cautiously trying to avoid one. First fear was what if he wanted to see the inside of our bus conversion. My wife would faint if I dragged home a 6'-8", 350#, bearded (belly length red), Hawaiian shirt wearing "local". The guy eased out of the car (it did not have a door) to chew a bit of local fat with me. I noticed he was wearing fuzzy bedroom slippers. He yammered about a fancy rig he "seen" up on the highway a while back. Wondered if I was somebody famous like an entertainer "thats drive round in buses". Still with my best effort to appear friendly, I felt myself slowly inching a bit backwards to get out of his downwind presence. Methinks bathing was not on his daily schedule, or even monthly for that matter.
Throughout the night there was frequent "ammo testing" in the woods. We rose early (first light) to make a fast decampment and wander up out of the valley to the main road. The only thing stopping us was a rusty tow truck that was partially blocking the park entry. Looked like the driver may have run out of gas during the night, or maybe he fell asleep and his old truck came to rest in the roadway. With great care, I eased the bus past the rear of the truck then roared up the twisty hills to the safety of known pavement.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1603
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Good one!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1604

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
I know the feeling. Even with multiple research methods it still is no assurance that a park will live up to its ratings.
I only stay in campgrounds if I absolutely HAVE to. I prefer to park on a quiet street in a tiny town along my route. I research possible sites using the satellite view of Google Maps. The first things I look for are railroads and industrial sites that might work 24/7. I'll add airports to that list, but I don't imagine many tiny towns have busy airports that can land jets. I usually have the best nights sleep parked beside city parks and churches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #1605

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
Okay, so paint is more expensive than decals or plain white, and manufacturers want the RV to look expensive--makes sense. Other than looks, is there an advantage to having paint?

And still, why that chocolate shade of brown that I see on so many?
I think that the brown color hides the dirt. Mine is mostly white and I can see the dirt just fine.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1606

I let my trucks get so dirty, the dirt just falls off... Rly!

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #1607

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
the Audit Firn of Dewy, Cheatum & Howe just finished a preliminary review of our records at RVM Central and have uncovered a discrepancy with our records. I have stated that we have 38 RVMs and are looking to recruit RVM39. Our Roster only indicates 37 Mutants.
If you are RVM38 please identify yourself or the audit findings will be unacceptable. The roster is as follows.

RVM Roster
RVM1 Campdaven PA
RVM2 flaggship1 TX
RVM3 jdoc TX
RVM4 4kids LA
RVM5 Papawto5 IN
RVM6 Big Oil Guy AZ
RVM7 Happy Prospector ??
RVM8 Shadowcache OH
RVM9 SylviaCub ID
RVM10 Dick Noble CO
RVM11 Woodburner OH
RVM12 dogpatch BC
RVM13 Davedeb1 OH
RVM14 Wayne M TX
RVM15 Selah IN
RVM16 msbarth TN
RVM17 KSCRUDE KS
RVM18 okmunky / RVM Mascot Sena OK
RVM19 Toyduck NV
RVM20 Oldme GA
RVM21 Alan24601 CA
RVM22 Sky_Boss IL
RVM23 Dunner AZ
RVM24 bdickson NC
RVM25 nwcountry OR
RVM26 mekanic OH
RVM27 TEFFY TX
RVM28 TLGPE FL
RVM29 timarti ON
RVM30 JudyH CO
RVM31 HerbnBarb TX
RVM32 huntnski AR
RVM33 YC1 CA
RVM34 Moonrover OH
RVM35 mtnmankev AZ
RVM36 Suspinz IL
RVM37 Flacamper FL

We cannot recruit new RVMs until this is resolved. In the meantime - if your RV doesn't have all the bells and whistles but you don't miss them - let us know and you will be assigned RVM39 and we will back fill RVM 38 if they do not come forward. I believe we are up to RVM37 but the audit isn't complete.

Many apologies for this clerical error.
RVM2
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #1608

Fleetwood Owners Club
Clearly we do not miss or need RVM38 ;>}
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #1609

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601
Clearly we do not miss or need RVM38 ;>}
What we need and don't have is a decent admin. Never was my strong suit.

But if RVM38 is out there - please come forward.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #1610

Could be, The Shadow. He is a mutant, yes?