Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #2619

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc
Those look like ribs to me.

Jerry RVM3
I'm with you Jerry - either that or they're fixing to wrap em in bacon. Since we're pondering bacon, bacon wrapped ribs sounds better than an apple rolled in bacon to me.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #2620

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

I'm with you Jerry - either that or they're fixing to wrap em in bacon. Since we're pondering bacon, bacon wrapped ribs sounds better than an apple rolled in bacon to me.
On the otherhand, anything rolled in bacon is something rolled in bacon, which is way better than something not rolled in bacon.

....but better than anything rolled in rope lights

Name:   image-1562417625.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  41.0 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1842382641.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	44540  
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #2621

I went into the clinic this afternoon for a Shape test (to find out what kind of shape I'm in...don't ask!) and there, gaily festooned around the top of the room, was a long, long strand of Rope Lights! Not turned on. Could not believe my baby blues!

Turns out, there is one test requiring lights to be out, but that in turn means the tech can't see what she needs to. So: the gentle glow of rope lights is just what -- ahem -- the doctor ordered.

Over & out. Or just out. Duck and run!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #2622

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue - all i can say is... Ah... The gentle glow of rope lights.... So pleasing and yet so misunderstood.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #2623

If you see this heading down the road (hopefully with slide in!) that would be RVM29 rollin, rollin! What can I say, I like stickers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	44562  
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2624

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti
If you see this heading down the road (hopefully with slide in!) that would be RVM29 rollin, rollin! What can I say, I like stickers.
Nice!!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #2625

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Way cool!
U have the RVM sticker made? I'm thinking you didn't spin and knit it. ;-)
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #2626

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well my fellow mutants - Bonita Bounder is still at Freightliner and here's the scoop. There were 3 inactive codes on the VGT. Since I had to leave her there to fix the intermittent headlight, I told them I wanted the VGT checked out. So yesterday morning they called and it was -- your VGT is bad. Then a little later it mutated into -- the fins in your turbo aren't spinning and that is why the VGT was coding.

They asked if I'd noticed it being sluggish, etc. Nope. Never a problem. So that's the bad news. The good news is - they did the leg work and my Good Sam ESP has it covered except my $250 deductible. I can't say how it will turn out but assuming they put it in and all is a good - I will be a happy mutant and glad I purchased the policy when we bought her last year. Like rope lights - ESPs are much maligned. But at this point - I am a fan. I had renewed the policy earlier this month without a claim in year one. I now have 1 claim that has covered all of last years cost and about half of what it will be this year. Say what ya will - but that works for me!

More than anything I'm glad I didn't skimp on my 5 year service. Having the radiator and CAC pulled was certainly optional but worth the money to know it's clean. So with new turbo and VGT, etc., I now have all the service records I need to mutate in peace!

We pick her up Friday! Plans are in motion for 16 days journey in mid September. Texas Hill Country her we come.
RVM2
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #2627

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great Steve.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #2628

Turbo not spinning? Hmmmm ... did you notice billowing black smoke? If my turbo would seize up, I could expect to hide an entire city in a black cloud. Possibly your setup is different though. I'll ask my diesel mechanic guru tomorrow when I visit to pickup the bus.

Yesterday we chatted about his knowledge of diesel mechanic scams pulled by shops along the interstates. Sort of emergency repair places conveniently positioned to snag the hapless travelers. Armed with that info, I'm even more paranoid than ever about trusting a diesel repair shop. I'm really glad I have my trusted mechanic's number on my speed dial. I can call to get a second opinion if the engine is diagnosed to have an ailment by a mechanic along our journey.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #2629

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Moonrover - I had no indication of a problem. As 2nd owner - 1 year ownership of '08 model - with less than 2,000 miles on my time - I think I would have noticed something too. As part of 5 year service my codes were:

2636 Inactive Count 8 VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Abnormal update rate

2387 Inactive Count 6 Amber VGT Actuator Driver Circuit (Motor) - Mechanical system not responding or out of adjustment

2449 Inactive Count 243 VGT Actuator Controller - Out of Calibration

Initially told VGT was removable and replaceable and that some were not. When they told me of the fins they said when new turbo ordered VGT is included and sold pre-calibrated. Not being an expert on such things and not having your mechanic to you - to me - I was at their mercy. But I also had the GS ESP guy to advise me. The Freightliner guys said GS wanted copy of codes and details including my build date - in case it was close to mfg warranty. It was all approved in 5 minutes. Hmmm.... Is right!!

So many folks have problems with GS ESP - Freightliner - etc. When this is done - I'm going to call GS and talk to the guy - once I have a good explanation from Freightliner. Part of my having the ESP is to get that other opinion - whether they pay or not. I'm going to get something out them be it payment, info or just the pleasure of giving them grief for not approving something.

Anything your mechanic can add would be great! This time I'm lucky - GS paid - and it wasn't while on the road.

Thanks for your help Moonrover- We RVMs stick together!

I almost didn't post this here - because it is what it is - and we ponder much more weighty matters such as to rope light or not - how to make the journey our destination - and the popular Canadian rattlesnake roundup.

I thank all RVMs for bearing with my nuts and bolts post in the philosophical realm of the RVMdom. What a grand group of mutants!!
RVM2
Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #2630

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know some stuff about diesel engines since I ran parts for the mechanics for so many years. Moonrover is right. There would definitely be a mess if turbo went out and you would notice lack of power and smoke. Of course I was working for a construction company and the engines that had bad turbos were not in motor homes, rather in big equipment, or Mack or Kenworth or Internationals. I have not heard of just the fins not spinning, as that is what the turbo is, and whenever we had failure it was not roadworthy. Maybe my month of retirement has mutated my brain to faulty recollections but I don't think so. Hopefully your extended coverage does indeed pay for this.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #2631

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Judy they already have authorized all but my $250 deductible. Maybe not spinning was an exaggeration on his part. Basically he indicated intake and exhaust functions and only half working. More to come - but no more money from me and new turbo regardless. 243 out of calibration codes certainly meant something. Maybe he was wrong in his first assessment - and VGT was not sold separately. I will get a better understanding of it when I pick her up. I am no expert for sure - maybe he dumbed down his explanation. Somehow he sold it to those who "never cover anything", at least that's what I read somewhere!

On Edit - also occurs to me that not spinning may have been short hand for not spinning properly and the VGT keeps coding trying to make it spin properly - and computer is adjusting air intake and exhaust is sufficient not to derate or show signs. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #2632

RVM10 here. I'm back! We have been just to darn busy to do much mutaten'. I put new chrome axle tip covers and new chrome lug nuts on the wheels. Boy, does the ol' 5er ever slide down the road better. I had to have them, I needed them. I wanted them. Wife is still laughing. But I did off-load a bunch of other stuff we have not used in years.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote