Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #2843

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Well, Oldme, I like this and may need to dally there for a bit next Spring.
Thanks!
Same thought. I did not even need to look at the links. I think I may still have book 3 or 4 from sometime around 1972ish. I did not know what a dulcimer was or how to spot wild ginseng or how to look for the bend in the root. These books were a major cut above Boys Life and other things Americana. I watch the Mountain Men and marvel at the things Eustace does in the NC mountains.

I will be going through my books soon and trying to figure how cut ties with them. It's going to be hard. A good friend has volunteered to let Annies cookbooks stay with them and scan or email recipes upon occasion. Trying to get that in order is a chore as well. Anybody know how to make books lighter?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Anybody know how to make books lighter?
Yep. Kindle. Just a few electrons deep.

But we still have a few volumes of cookbooks marked up by my Mom, Grandmas, etc. And we use them!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #2845

See.... mom knew.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2846

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
See.... mom knew.
Silly Dunner; Mom's always know...

In Princeton BC sitting beside the Similkameen, River enjoying the campsite. Met some new friends and have them all geared up for joining IRV2.com and maybe becoming mutants. One couple are just on their way back to Arkansas from Denali Alaska.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #2847

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I, too, remember the Foxfire books. But I'm sure I no longer have them, lost in a previous divorce, storage fiasco. But I really enjoyed them way back when. RVM's seem to bring out the good memories. Things long lost, are brought to mind.
I have always told my left-handed son he was wrong-handed, because he wasn't right-handed.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #2848

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
I have always told my left-handed son he was wrong-handed, because he wasn't right-handed.
Do us a favor Judy. yourself.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #2849

One of the greatest obstacles to fulltiming is my library. I have spent a lot of time tracking down copies of all kinds of books I read and re-read as a child (not all children's books although a lot of those) plus all the other ones I just couldn't bear to part with. They are family, lol. I guess I could probably get it down to one or two storage bays from the wall of books in my living room, and/ or have a " library" in my vehicle of choice. Although I tend to read books electronically now on my I-pad more than anything, I could not part with the "oldies". That would be a step too far. Don't care about shoes, fancy clothes, or many other "things", just my photography and spinning/knitting and BOOKS!
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #2850

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Timarti - I have maybe 30 books on 35 mm photography - which is fast becoming a lost art. I will still miss them because they are filled with pictures and how to. Just going to have to suck it up. May give eBay a try.

We both have Kindles but that doesn't help with the current inventory.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #2851

I have shot digital and used Photoshop for many years now, but did a fine art degree in photography back in the day and did a lot of work in the even older photo processes like platinum printing, gum printng, cyanotypes etc where you mixed up the chemicals and coated your own photographic paper. I did have a darkroom but a lot of those old processes actually use contact printing and the sun for exposure. Don't have a large format 4x5 camera any more to shoot the negs, although it is possible to create the negs digitally and also use inkjet printers for output for both colour and quadtone black & white prints. Used to handcolour those. I did sell my work in galleries and online until it got to be too much like "work" and I stopped, lol. Maybe I'll post "a picture a day", just for fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	45178  
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #2852

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ now that is vey nice!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #2853

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
I have shot digital and used Photoshop for many years now, but did a fine art degree in photography back in the day and did a lot of work in the even older photo processes like platinum printing, gum printng, cyanotypes etc where you mixed up the chemicals and coated your own photographic paper. I did have a darkroom but a lot of those old processes actually use contact printing and the sun for exposure. Don't have a large format 4x5 camera any more to shoot the negs, although it is possible to create the negs digitally and also use inkjet printers for output for both colour and quadtone black & white prints. Used to handcolour those. I did sell my work in galleries and online until it got to be too much like "work" and I stopped, lol. Maybe I'll post "a picture a day", just for fun.

PLEASE DO POST more pictures. This one is VERY nice one and we look forward to seeing many more fine works of your art.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #2854

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl

PLEASE DO POST more pictures. This one is VERY nice one and we look forward to seeing many more fine works of your art.
Who'll start the bidding nice... !!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #2855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post

We kayak !! And will eventually wander over to central Florida. May be there by mid-Nov. How about the Suwannee(sp?) River? Or maybe the Cedar Key area? It's always fun to kayak with a group especially if gators are around.
Hooray, Henry!!! Another 'yakker or two! Maybe our next Curiosity will be on the water, eh?

We'll be in SW FL (Naples) about mid-December, and plan to have a Jeep-top rack for the 'yak by then. Ragtop vehicles are a bit difficult, but DH thinks he's found what we need.

Have 'yak, will travel. Cedar Key, the Suwannee, wherever. Yes, Moonrover, we bipeds are better off in schools, where those big-mouth quadrupeds swim, fer sher. I'll do some research into those 2 places, Google Earth, even, for photos. Our Naples friends kayak all over and might have some good ideas too.

Whoo-eee!! Looking forward to it!

Cheers!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
We mutants have a wide variety of interests.
One thing I like is local history and how people lived generations before us.

If there are other mutants that have a same interest, I will recommended the following to you:

The Foxfire Fund, Inc.

We visited the museum several weeks ago and enjoyed their village.
It must have been 25 years a go that I read their first series of Foxfire books,
written by the High School Students ( check the web-site for that history).

Foxfire Museum Gift Shop - The Foxfire Series

I grabbed one of their Cook Books. This is as much a history book as it is a cook book. Very interesting reading about life and great food!

Smokehouse Ham, Spoon Bread, and Scuppernong Wine

I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just find it interesting and hope other mutants do also.

Foxfire (The Foxfire Fund, Inc.) is a not-for-profit, educational and literary organization based in Rabun County, Georgia.
Loved those books! Fascinating reading, and I'm pleased to know there is a museum and a village. I've just added them to my bucket list.

Thanks, Oldme!