Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #4145

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
OK...here is pic I could get...hubby took the ladder and put it away...so o climbed the back ladder and hung on for dear life and did best I could for now.... too close for good perspective.

Attachment 46984

Attachment 46985
Wow !!! have ya thought of a disc sander ? I know it looks like a lot of work and so far it has been by the looks of it, I guess I would try to find the fastest way to get the rest of that off and a powered sander just might do it. I wish you the very best of luck.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #4146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Glad to hear that you are doing better, bud. I wish I could get my hubby to stop smoking.
Try moving his temptations.

I used to have my smokes, ash tray and lighter sitting right next to my mouse pad. I moved them to under a hat(except the tray) . Out of sight - out of mind. It worked. I'm sure I'm "addicted" to nicotine, but I sure don't like the taste of cigarettes. They're bitter and harsh. It's just that I've been doing it for over 50 years and it is more of a habit. Kinda like swallowing. If I need anything, it's a shrink or hypnotist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sorry to hear this, DP. My very best wishes to your mother and family.
My thoughts go out to anyone who has to deal with cancer. Sure, I may be cured, but the side effects of the chemo and radiation can last for 1-2+ years. It's different with everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I think we all would agree that in a smack down between Dunner and almost any opponent, Dunner always wins.

Glad you are better, my friend, and I hope the taste buds are back in time to enjoy that luscious melon growing in your yard.
I'm not a fighter... only with words. Always being the little guy, I've had a lot of "stuff" flung at me. After a while, I learned what to fling back... with a sting.

I found another Lemon Drop melon. It's about the size of a softball. Giants couldn't take the heat and are just "existing". Three came up, I thinned them to 1 and it's going pretty much belly up. I'll try again early spring.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #4147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
As long as the rainbow doesn't extend to some unknown destination without a pot of gold at the end. LOL
I'm not all that lucky with a pot full of gold. Only found a single nugget so far.

Here is a pic of the nugget and the guy that helped me carry it to a flatbed truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-311614282.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	46987  
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4148

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
OK...here is pic I could get...hubby took the ladder and put it away...so o climbed the back ladder and hung on for dear life and did best I could for now.... too close for good perspective.
Yikes! Is that brown powder rust? Is there rusting steel up there? What do you think a cross section of the roof layering looks like? Is there plywood somewhere in the "sandwich"?

I see bolt heads. Do the bolts go all the way through the roof sandwich to a frame member? I'm trying to understand the roofing system and maybe I can offer a suggestion on re-roofing the entire thing.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #4149

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post

Have you attempted to use a heat gun? May work if the crud is not concrete dry. The only chemical that I can think of that might work is a strong marine paint stripper. Since the roof may be aluminum, stay away from any paint stripper with caustic soda (lye) in it. The aluminum gets sort of frosty fuzzy on the surface when attacked by lye. And of course if the aluminum is thin .... well .... goodbye!

Different, however if you have a silicone based crud. Scraping and scratching is probably the only way to get most of it off.

If you have silicone residual on any surface after scraping, try pure naphtha (also labeled as VM&P naphtha). Wash it on, dry rag it off. Do it again just to be sure. Paint does not like to stick on top of even the thinnest film of silicone residual.

Silicone does have its place for small crack sealing, but it seems to be misused frequently to slather over large gaps as a filler. Instead of silicone sealant under Fantastic fan rims, I used white butyl rubber. It can be painted over with a little more success than silicone. However as with anything that does a good job of sealing, the butyl is sticky as heck. Gets all over your fingers and before you know it you are cursing that you ever tried it. LOL Use good old mineral spirits paint thinner to clean up the mess.
It is concrete dry.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #4150

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Dogpatch Barb and I are so sorry to hear this bad news about your mom. We know your pain because we both have had to deal with this stuff. I hope she has a strong support network around her because contrary to what a lot of people think, cancer is a community disease affecting not only the patient but the caregivers as well. Hang in there bud and we will pray for her and your entire family. MSG. Me if you ever need to just talk it out.... I'm a good listener and have counciled others many times. Also, from my experience, knowledge is power. Have her be very pro-active in her treatment. Research reduces some of the fear and helps. God bless her and your family!

Fully agree... been there... done that.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #4151

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Wow !!! have ya thought of a disc sander ? I know it looks like a lot of work and so far it has been by the looks of it, I guess I would try to find the fastest way to get the rest of that off and a powered sander just might do it. I wish you the very best of luck.

Cheers !!!
I suggested the multi tool with the sanding triangles on it too him... it is like dry cement stuck there... they just kept piling on the sealant stuffs one on top of another... when we are done with this, I am thinking I might go ahead and cover the whole lot with snow coat stuff...so ugly it hurts right now....
Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #4152

iRV2 No Limits Club
Before I knew I was a Mutant, we had the front license plate done.
You can't argue with fate.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #4153

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme
Is it me or did pic not post?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #4154

I'm still trying to figure out how they got all those letters on one plate.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #4155

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ
I suggested the multi tool with the sanding triangles on it too him... it is like dry cement stuck there... they just kept piling on the sealant stuffs one on top of another... when we are done with this, I am thinking I might go ahead and cover the whole lot with snow coat stuff...so ugly it hurts right now....
Marty - have you checked to see if there are any Honey owner groups out there? If this all took place after the fact - previous owner - may not help. Just a thought.

If it is like cement maybe a masonry bit and drilling some holes a 1/2 inch apart and wee deep and then try to chisel it out or take the multitool to it. It's hard to tell what you're up against by photos - but it sure looks to be a job.

I know you aren't in Metropolis - but is there a reputable RV guy anywhere who would stop by and take a look. Better still - is there a reputable RV guy anywhere? But someone must have faced this before.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Steve
Old 10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #4156

An air chisel would definitely work, but might be a bit too aggressive. A fine wire wheel on a drill would work. I have seen a tool at HF that is called a needle chisel. Haven't looked at one, but I think it is pulsating needles or rods in a hand-held pencil-like tool.

Edit: Just dug my HF catalog out of the garbage can. Todays flier has a multi-tool for $15.99, Item #s 68861, 68303, and 60428.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #4157

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme
Must be an iPhone thing but this is what I see.

Name:   image-1682667967.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  9.4 KB
Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #4158

Sam Ting I see on desktop.