Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #4299

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My travel preference right behind the Motorhome is train. Amtrak or VIA for amenities and any steam run for the aura and nostalgia.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #4300

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Evenin Mutants! Well we have settled in for the night in Brenham Tx. Going to be here for the weekend watching the gran-daughters softball tournament. Also going to ponder an age old question.....do those Blue Bell cows "really" like it better here in Brenham? Guess I better start my research at the Blue Bell Creamery! Hey I know what your thinking but somebody's got to do it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #4301

There's the Grand Canyon Railroad. Catchy tune with the commercial. When I was in Korea in 68, they used the old locomotive style for switching engines.

Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel, Arizona

and

Grand Canyon Railway RV Park Sites

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #4302

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I lived in an apartment so close to the tracks that the doors and windows rattled with each passing train -- and there were LOTS of trains. I eventually learned to sleep thru the rattle, but I was late to work many times because a slow train tied up traffic.

Then about 3 am one Christmas morning instead of the usual series of whistle sounds at the nearby crossing, the conductor tooted Jingle Bells.

I never minded being late because of a train after that and just thinking about it always makes me smile.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #4303

From age 4-11, I lived right under the Davis-Monthan AFB flight path. This was when they were making extensive use of the base for B-52 Flight training. They were so low, I could tell if a rivet was loose. I learned to sleep with it but have had insomnia ever since we moved out when I was 11.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #4304
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My Dad used to snore so loud that when he drew in, the windows would shake and the curtains in the living room would lean towards the bedroom.(almost)
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #4305
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
From age 4-11, I lived right under the Davis-Monthan AFB flight path. This was when they were making extensive use of the base for B-52 Flight training. They were so low, I could tell if a rivet was loose. I learned to sleep with it but have had insomnia ever since we moved out when I was 11.
Insomnia for 85 years WOW!
We could probably request someone make a recording of those behemoths taking off that you could play at bedtime to finally get some sleep!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #4306

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Insomnia for 85 years
Remember when we were kids and you would point your index finger on one hand at someone and then sweep the pointed index finger of the other hand forward and back at a right angle? The gesture that was universally understood as "SHAME on you". Can you see me pointing at you, Les?

Les, you been a BAD boy! Shame on you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #4307
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Me? A bad boy? Not for at least..........15 minutes! LOL
Old 10-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #4308

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
When I was a kid we lived in the country where a track ran right beside the house, only 2 trains a day. There was one in the early a.m. I used to wake up early to wave to the guy in the caboose from my bedroom window. During the winter when it was still dark, he would wave a lantern and I would use a flashlight! Once there was and amazing sounding whistle, and the train was being pulled by a steam engine. My grandfather was a railroad conductor. I have his railroad pocket watch.
Wow Tina,

What an excellent memory to have, we lived in a time where we have vivid memories of how things were when life was simpler, now days kids only have the memory of when the first Texas Instruments PC came out and all it would do is DOS. its a shame really.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #4309

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Evenin Mutants! Well we have settled in for the night in Brenham Tx. Going to be here for the weekend watching the gran-daughters softball tournament. Also going to ponder an age old question.....do those Blue Bell cows "really" like it better here in Brenham? Guess I better start my research at the Blue Bell Creamery! Hey I know what your thinking but somebody's got to do it.

Ermmmm Herb,

As much as I would like to agree with you and as much as I would start at the creamery as well, I bet to find out why the cows are happy starts much sooner, like out in the barn. Pitchfork anyone ?

Cheers !!!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #4310

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Actually I thought they really got happy when the was a young stud bull out in the pasture giving them the eye.

Kinda reminds me of the story about the old bull... A young bull ran up to the old bull and said "lets run down there in the pasture and have our way with one of them fine looking young cows".

To which the old bull replies, "Lets just amble our way down and have our way with all of 'em".

Life is too easy to fulfill if you're in too much of a hurry.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #4311

Barb & Dunner,

You have both shared some excellent memories, I can remember as a kid that we didnt live far from the Electric Company, and the original Oldsmobile Plant in Lansing, Michigan If you I sleep and I looked outside my upstairs bedroom window you could watch the lights on the smoke stacks blinking and on a clear night if you listened real close, you could hear the whistles not only of the trains moving completed cars out, but also the shift change whistles in the plant. My Dad was working afternoons at the Oldsmobile Plant then and when that whistle went off at 11:30 I knew that I had 15 minutes left before he would park his car and walk into the house, so I knew I had to be into bed and make no noise or he would know I was still awake. Thanks for jogging that memory.

Cheers !!!

Sometimes I need to check my reading glasses
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4312
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Insomnia for 85 years WOW!
We could probably request someone make a recording of those behemoths taking off that you could play at bedtime to finally get some sleep!
Just record him snoring and play it back for him in a continuous loop. Same sound as a B-52, right?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote