Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #5979

Vintage RV Owners Club
Since Barb ignored your melon question or didn't see it or didn't like the humor....
Dunner, I know nothing about growing in your climate... but know a lot about growing in general... I have not yet grown that particular type of melon, but I grow cantelope yearly here in Kansas. These melons appear to be of the netted skinned variety so that would say they are in the cantalope family as opposed to the warty skinned family so they should slip easily from the vine when you pick it up if it is ripe. if it isn't it will hang on tightly still. If you think they are going to freeze, by all means, you can cut them off the stem and let them sit on your counter for a few days to let them finish ripening. They do ripen in hot weather much better than cold/cool. Your little dude there is all the bigger he will get with waning sunlight hours...he should ripen eventually but probaly not be as sweet as he would had he had better circumstances.

Call your extension office and ask to speak to a master gardener in your area if they don't have a gardening hotline available. They will know someone who specializes in vegetable/fruit growing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #5980

Vintage RV Owners Club
Teffy, I say fixin' and I'm from Kansas... but I lived for ~9 months in Texas my sophmore year... which might be where I picked it up. Although, I do hear my sister use it from time to time, but not a regular part of speech...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #5981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
Quoting smoking was easy. I must've done it a hundred times -- before I really stopped. Three packs a day. Quit the last time in 1976. Every once in a blue moon I still miss it.

Not to change the subject, but my oil change just cost over $1,400! I've mutated into a charitable organization for mechanics. Of course, they did a few "extras", but seriously?!? Now, I just need to have that pesky water leak on the Jeep Wrangler fixed...

wow 1400 holy cow I could do a lot to your MH for that much.

on that note I'm a ASE master tech on gas diesel and Harleys if any one needs work done on there rigs we can set up a time and place I have all the tools to do it including air tools and air tank. I will save you a ton and will fix it right the first time. anything from minor to major work. to your car truck motorcycle TT or MH just pm me. also if your in a place that you want to do it just not sure how I can talk you thru it.
just an idea. I had

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #5982

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post

on that note I'm a ASE master tech on gas diesel and Harleys if any one needs work done on there rigs we can set up a time and place I have all the tools to do it including air tools and air tank. I will save you a ton and will fix it right the first time. anything from minor to major work. to your car truck motorcycle TT or MH just pm me. also if your in a place that you want to do it just not sure how I can talk you thru it.
just an idea. I had
OMG... you just opened a huge door! Wish you were a house work fella cause the house part of my RV needs work!
Oh... thought of something... how to tell the difference between pink power steering juice and pink transmission fluid? 'Honey' was hemorraging and my DH thinks it is power steering fluid... but when I start her up... she will idle ok until I put her into gear, then promply dies and we had the mechanic look at it before we went to Yellowstone this summer, and he 'fixed' it and it did ok for a bit but that particular problem worsened on the way home...
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #5983

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Since Barb ignored your melon question or didn't see it or didn't like the humor....
Dunner, I know nothing about growing in your climate... but know a lot about growing in general... I have not yet grown that particular type of melon, but I grow cantelope yearly here in Kansas. These melons appear to be of the netted skinned variety so that would say they are in the cantalope family as opposed to the warty skinned family so they should slip easily from the vine when you pick it up if it is ripe. if it isn't it will hang on tightly still. If you think they are going to freeze, by all means, you can cut them off the stem and let them sit on your counter for a few days to let them finish ripening. They do ripen in hot weather much better than cold/cool. Your little dude there is all the bigger he will get with waning sunlight hours...he should ripen eventually but probably not be as sweet as he would had he had better circumstances.

Call your extension office and ask to speak to a master gardener in your area if they don't have a gardening hotline available. They will know someone who specializes in vegetable/fruit growing.
Marty, have you seen this site? Good info.
AZ Master Gardener Manual: Selected Vegetable Crops

The first time I ever tried melons, I planted all the seeds I had at once. Watered almost every day so the summer heat wouldn't cook the leaves. I had 29 fruits come ripe at the same time. Took what I couldn't eat to work. Some of the ripe ones were small, cute, little things that were sweat inside. Tasted the same as the full size ones but smaller serving. Barb uses an iPod and probably flipped right past my post or is still "pondering" it.

A try green hours would be good to have. Tomatoes do good at first, but cook with the mid summer heat in the 110+ range. Had some in the front with the melons and they went dormant when it got really hot.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #5984

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I don't doubt that one bit. With sales threatened, it would be so easy to manipulate the amount of nicotine in the delivery device. I think it was proven that they did that. I noticed my brand becoming harsher and harsher over the years. I went from regular to light to ultralight. It got to the point where I didn't enjoy them anymore. The flavor was gone and they did nothing but burn my throat and cause the cancer. There was no more calming effect from having one. I resulted to using plastic stick on filters that limited the tar and flavor to a point. Plus the Gov't made them take off the Mild, Light and Ultralight labels. They now call them Gold or Silver. All they are doing is putting more or less holes in the filter end, causing you to draw longer or multiple puffs to compensate. This made them get a hotter "cuff", as mom called the tip, and dry out the "hit". The throat cancer, chemo, radiation, wearing the patch and putting them out of site has helped the most. There are still battles to be fought. I guess locking them in a drawer would help even more, Right now I hide the lighter and cigarettes under a hat, the stinky suppository for the dead coffin nails is still there. Don't want to put it under the hat and stink it up. I'll go look for a big box. Guess it would make them less desirable.
Y

Dunner when I tried hiding them it never worked for me cause I always knew they were there. Hate to say it dude but throw them away and have nothing available to grab. That's the only way I was able to quit. It been over 20 years now and I was a three pack a day habit smoking menthols. What's worse is that I loved em. They never burnt down cause I smoked them right up to the filter!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #5985

I also tried to grow some Giant pumpkins. My front planter is only 10'x4' and the vines from just the melons alone took over had to pull the `matos and pumpkins. Was just curious how big they would grow. May try them out back in the spring with a water timer. Pumpkins need to be started late to mature buy Halloween.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #5986

I'm not throwing any out and put myself in a "Got to have mode". 3-4 puffs a day is not that bad for weaning myself off them. What about these guys that have that 1 cigar a night with their scotch?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #5987

How do commercial places grow melons? Like how often do they water or do they protect the fruit in any way?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #5988

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Is your niece in Montgomery proper, or Montgomery County. It's all about an hour and a half from us and we like that area.
Wayne,

She has a Montgomery address but is located on one of the peninsulas on the south west side of Lake Conroe. The whole family is really big into mudding. Might have to get some mudding lessons and get dirty. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #5989

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
... how to tell the difference between pink power steering juice and pink transmission fluid? 'Honey' was hemorraging and my DH thinks it is power steering fluid... but when I start her up... she will idle ok until I put her into gear, then promply dies and we had the mechanic look at it before we went to Yellowstone this summer, and he 'fixed' it and it did ok for a bit but that particular problem worsened on the way home...
A good friend of mine that owned a garage for over 50 years said their's not enough difference to worry about. The later dexrons have more antofoaming solution them the older versions. That helps the trenney work better because the fluid has a better consistency without so much air in the mix. The same holds true for the power steering. Carry just one jug, in my older MH I bought transmission fluid by the gallon and used it in both.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #5990

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
How do commercial places grow melons? Like how often do they water or do they protect the fruit in any way?
That I don't know...I've seen row crop cover on them but suspect it is to keep the dog gone bugs off rather than to extend the season. In Colorado...they were grown just like pumpkins...put them out there and it is survival of the fittest. Oh...and they need an inch of water a week in Kansas...I' m guessing with your sandy soil they need 2-3 inches per week. Meaning stick your finger or a dowel rod into the soil and make sure the water went 2 inches deep in the root area. With dowel rod...you can see the wood change color being wet. I use chopsticks I save from Chinese food eating out...
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #5991

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post

just an idea. I had
Uh, I'm kinda doubting you'd make a house call clear up here. They also serviced the generator and fixed a leaky air brake problem, too. I bought a lot of peace of mind - I guess...
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #5992

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Dunner,

I wasn't sure that was a question about the melons. I thought it might have been your Ambien talking My best suggestion is to throw a sheet of clear plastic over them. They seemed to like the heat last summer and the plastic will help them stay warmer. Marty has a bunch more experience gardening than I do, you should maybe check with her.

On the water softener -- I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon Warehouse deals. It's an open box unit that somebody returned -- guaranteed and 20% off. I want to
protect the systems I have and water from who knows where needs little help. Does anyone know where the holding tank and city water systems come together? I'm thinking somewhere near the water heater. That seems like the best place to tie the water softener into the system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote