Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #7393
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are about equal distance from just about anything.

This coming weekend will be our shortest RV trip. A whopping 30 miles to a Texas Boomers Rally. Not the shortest distance traveled by a Boomer by any means. Two months ago a member had to move his MH out of storage and drive 100 yard or less to park it.

So wherever you are, there you are. If it fits into the travels, we can be there.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #7394

Orng is Orange. Or Mark. Those are zip codes, 93* would be somewhere in the Los Angeles mountains close to the ocean, and 34* would be Florida in the heart of the tourist zone (This would be where the Disney execs live, Shaq etc). I have a few rigs selected in the new for various price zones already. Need to convince the family on sooner and upgrading. Preliminary, everything from a Freelander 28LTD (cheap end), FR3 30/Ace 30.2, Allegro 31SA, Bounder 36E, RED 33, Phaeton 36GH, Cornerstone 45K King-Aire 4599. There are others but I didn't want to make the list too long here. Basically at every price point I have 3-5 rigs selected, and yes I know as soon as 15's are out I start all over. I think our purchase will be decently researched. I did the same thing when we bought our car, and our house. I have a drawer full of plans/spec sheets. You could say research is my thing. Depending on budget I've already bought a few of the outfitting supplies ahead of the horse others will be easy since our Corelle and China collection for example is quite extensive (Don't ask how many patterns). I also have a few mods (Progressive Surge/Toad set-up) pre-selected. I can type at a decent clip I bet I drive the mods here crazy. I also have many RV "journeys" pre-planned. Lets say when we hit the road we won't be without a plan. Some I must confess though are a rehash of our favourites (Williamsburg/DC/FL/Mammoth to Luray/Old Montreal/NF etc). I wish I could FT for a year or two now. Maybe the finance supreme beings will look kindly upon me. I don't think living till 90 will let me do what I want to do. My bucket list is growing. I've already downloaded the specs/instructions and set up a budget spread sheet. Already have a log program pre-populated with what I already have.... I think I am a salespersons worst fear/dream depending on your perspective. It's sad too see how much "knowledge" comes from some of them. I've also added a lot more here that i've deleted since this is a public forum and you never know. If only you could *will* the irv community only could see this.

Now If I hosted a gathering I have a name for the meeting planned :P

I'm of the TMNT generation BTW. Cowabunga dude! Lets like scarf down some pizza.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #7395

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Orng is Orange. Or Mark. Those are zip codes, 93* would be somewhere in the Los Angeles mountains close to the ocean, and 34* would be Florida in the heart of the tourist zone (This would be where the Disney execs live, Shaq etc). I have a few rigs selected in the new for various price zones already. Need to convince the family on sooner and upgrading. Preliminary, everything from a Freelander 28LTD (cheap end), FR3 30/Ace 30.2, Allegro 31SA, Bounder 36E, RED 33, Phaeton 36GH, Cornerstone 45K King-Aire 4599. There are others but I didn't want to make the list too long here. Basically at every price point I have 3-5 rigs selected, and yes I know as soon as 15's are out I start all over. I think our purchase will be decently researched. I did the same thing when we bought our car, and our house. I have a drawer full of plans/spec sheets. You could say research is my thing. Depending on budget I've already bought a few of the outfitting supplies ahead of the horse others will be easy since our Corelle and China collection for example is quite extensive (Don't ask how many patterns). I also have a few mods (Progressive Surge/Toad set-up) pre-selected. I can type at a decent clip I bet I drive the mods here crazy. I also have many RV "journeys" pre-planned. Lets say when we hit the road we won't be without a plan. Some I must confess though are a rehash of our favourites (Williamsburg/DC/FL/Mammoth to Luray/Old Montreal/NF etc). I wish I could FT for a year or two now. Maybe the finance supreme beings will look kindly upon me. I don't think living till 90 will let me do what I want to do. My bucket list is growing. I've already downloaded the specs/instructions and set up a budget spread sheet. Already have a log program pre-populated with what I already have.... I think I am a salespersons worst fear/dream depending on your perspective. It's sad too see how much "knowledge" comes from some of them. I've also added a lot more here that i've deleted since this is a public forum and you never know. If only you could *will* the irv community only could see this. Now If I hosted a gathering I have a name for the meeting planned :P I'm of the TMNT generation BTW. Cowabunga dude! Lets like scarf down some pizza.
Mark it sounds like your plans are for a new RV rather than a gently used one? No doubt you have considered the hit you will take on a new one when you leave the dealer vs. pre- owned? There are so many good deals out there on low mileage RV's and the difference in cost allows you to get more bang for the buck. We were set on buying new because I worried about getting somebody else's problems. But for us we decided to go pre- owned route and in hindsight I'm so glad we did. Just something to ponder IMHO.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #7396

Looking at floorplans before we're ready is easier with new. I know manufacturers change floorplans up, but going back a few years once we find what we like isn't too hard. Looking at the used right now is overwhelming. I know each year brings "improvements" but I think most floorplans in their basic (especially popular ones) track through the years. I'm sure there is some decor changes/electronics/adds/deletes but the meats & bones stay similar I think? So If I like a Bounder 35/36, there would be a used version of it (or a Winnie that's similar for example) and when we have set the budget and go into "buy when the good unit is available mode" we'll have a reference point to start out. I'm sure I could find the perfect unit by looking at every unit on RVTrader but I don't think my patience would allow. Then when we buy some of these units are more popular with couples, so there will be a few mods that may be needed (dinette, with 1 folding chair at the end for me). If we use it and keep it as long as I plan, adding an inverter for a Ressie fridge and associated mods or if prohibited with that unit get a Amish cooling unit once the fridge is older (unless it's the recall unit then ASAP). If it's a diesel get a fire suppression unit in the back. Of course add some extra fire extinguishers, update C/O detector etc. Then after driving it see if I need to add Tru-Centre, handling fix, Koni/Bilstien shocks, shag dash mat, some place for the litter box (Ie door into bay?/under the bed?) I will be adding 2 or 3 SFF's to the TV's and a VG system for the drive. (Yes i'm a Geek, we have iPad/Droid/Surface tablets for example, as well as Wii U/XBox One/PS4) Bad news for me is even if I could F/T I would be time limited in the US for tax purposes unless our domicile changes. But giving up OHIP for Obamacare... OHIP isn't perfect but it works, and with the health care plan cheap. Of course we'd need travel insurance, vehicle insurance... It would be so much easier to start if this family could get a TT, but then we'd need a better tow vehicle... looping back to the MH. Sorry for getting all the RVM's off track. I hope this thread can handle multiple conversations at once well Oh then there is the Camp Freightliner, etc. I don't think we'd do rallies though. I'm sure ankle biters are a Rallies best friend

At least this topic should be bringing back memories for most of you folks.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #7397

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiamtns View Post
Hello, Mutant Peoples (and monkey): We have been looking at our schedules, and no matter how we work it, we won't be able to make the GC, mostly due to distance. Although we have not had the first GC, I know there has been discussion about the 2nd and subsequent GCs. Might I humbly suggest that we try for different regions each time? Maybe South, North, East, West...or something like that? We would like to be able to travel more distance, but until I find mobile work, we're stuck for extended time off. DW just got a new job that can be done with a mobile hot spot, but my work requires me to be in the office. East coast somewhere would be doable for us. Charleston? Myrtle Beach? Chincoteague?
I, too, would be deeply appreciative if mutant gatherings migrated around the US. As everyone has been kind enough to point out, I am the youngest member of this group and have just 30 short years before I retire. Until then, I have to go to work to pay for my travels and can't manage some distances. I am taking my long vacation time to go to Alaska. I will miss meeting Sena this time.
wingennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #7398

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrngTrillium View Post
Looking at floorplans before we're ready is easier with new. I know manufacturers change floorplans up, but going back a few years once we find what we like isn't too hard. Looking at the used right now is overwhelming. I know each year brings "improvements" but I think most floorplans in their basic (especially popular ones) track through the years. I'm sure there is some decor changes/electronics/adds/deletes but the meats & bones stay similar I think? So If I like a Bounder 35/36, there would be a used version of it (or a Winnie that's similar for example) and when we have set the budget and go into "buy when the good unit is available mode" we'll have a reference point to start out. I'm sure I could find the perfect unit by looking at every unit on RVTrader but I don't think my patience would allow. Then when we buy some of these units are more popular with couples, so there will be a few mods that may be needed (dinette, with 1 folding chair at the end for me). If we use it and keep it as long as I plan, adding an inverter for a Ressie fridge and associated mods or if prohibited with that unit get a Amish cooling unit once the fridge is older (unless it's the recall unit then ASAP). If it's a diesel get a fire suppression unit in the back. Of course add some extra fire extinguishers, update C/O detector etc. Then after driving it see if I need to add Tru-Centre, handling fix, Koni/Bilstien shocks, shag dash mat, some place for the litter box (Ie door into bay?/under the bed?) I will be adding 2 or 3 SFF's to the TV's and a VG system for the drive. (Yes i'm a Geek, we have iPad/Droid/Surface tablets for example, as well as Wii U/XBox One/PS4) Bad news for me is even if I could F/T I would be time limited in the US for tax purposes unless our domicile changes. But giving up OHIP for Obamacare... OHIP isn't perfect but it works, and with the health care plan cheap. Of course we'd need travel insurance, vehicle insurance... It would be so much easier to start if this family could get a TT, but then we'd need a better tow vehicle... looping back to the MH. Sorry for getting all the RVM's off track. I hope this thread can handle multiple conversations at once well Oh then there is the Camp Freightliner, etc. I don't think we'd do rallies though. I'm sure ankle biters are a Rallies best friend

At least this topic should be bringing back memories for most of you folks.
Mark, you uncontrollable typest. You must remember that many on this thread are also on the word game thread and there is a reason for that! We tire at sentences longer than two words. To aid us throw a " return" in every now and then to let our brains rest! return

Now after multibale readings of your post I find some lacking information, mainly that credit card info! I feel confident we could get a great committee of mutants together to shop this problem out for you!

Did I mention we have your best interest in mind!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #7399

Sorry! It was late, I was taught to type old school. Which means two spaces between sentences as well as actual paragraphs. It was an insomnia/work night. I was also taught to /ot (initials) at the end of a document. I think we were the last class to be taught that method. (In the elementary school I went to in the 80s we had computers in every class, yes they existed back then). For all you know I don't have a credit card! If you have a certain type of credit card I bet the first two digits are 37. If you say yep I know it's not a Chargex (old school name for a card) or VISA

Old is but an age. I know someone who called me ancient when I was 20. My dad also claims i'm old. As a non-member I think I tie wingennis give or take just a 'lil for youngest on thread. However I only have the toad :P

I just thought of some non-mutant traits.

- Mutants do not have clear above ground black water tanks
- Mutants do not store their nail clippings in jars
- Mutants do not run around with socks being used as ear extenders
- Mutants do not occupy three lanes of the highway while rolling down the road (yep I see quite a few people who incur on both sides of the lane their in by half a vehicle width)
- Mutants do not greet others the way their doggie fur-babies greet each other
- Mutants do not believe that the current president has any many cigars as a previous living Mr President, he does however have more cigarettes then any current living Mr President
- Mutants did not vote Tim Horton for Prime Minister
- Mutants are mostly over 3 feet tall and mainly under 8 feet tall
- Mutants don't know how to swing from branch to branch on nothing but vines ending each swing with a yell and wrapped around a tree while humming "George George George of the Jungle..."
- Mutants have never swam across the Pacific
- Mutants do not tap dance on recently waxed crowned RV roofs while singing "... old man ain't what he used to be, ain't what he used to be..."
- Mutants are normally not teenaged or green if they are of the RV variety.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #7400

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^ Thanks Tim. Mark - the other thing to remember is that we mutants also read the other forums on iRV2 and are familiar with your arrival here, plans and circumstances.

We have all been where you are in the quest for the right RV or machine for navigating the rainbow. I bought my first RV in 1991 and other mutants have been at it even longer, some are new or newer to owning an RV. But being an RVM, and having a number is predicated on two things. 1) Your RV doesn't have some things and you don't miss them. And 2) Embracing the concept that the journey is the destination.

You are just beginning the journey and that is a great endeavor. You also seem to be greatly enthralled in that. Also a good thing. But many here will tell you, the journey takes time and to slow it down a bit. You do not want to make a mistake with your first RV. You want the right one for you and your family in every way. Cost, floor plan, functionality, and so on. Study hard, visit RV shows, rent several, and so on.

As for being an RVM - you show some mutant qualities but without some type of RV - you don't fulfill the first criteria. You are more than welcome to post among us and we will guide you as best we can. You should also avail yourself of the broader forum where you will find others in your exact situation and place in the journey. Focus is the key to success in sifting out the many things you need to consider.

For example - your list of coaches ranged from tidy smaller units all the way to the lotto winners dream. This is doing you little practical good. Figure out your budget, then your must haves, nice to haves and don't needs. From there you can get at your true planning horizon and begin the real hunt for the right machine.

Take it slow and plan, plan, plan. I say this all the time - Plan your work (escape) and work your plan (escape your work). Good luck on the journey. For now - take a deep breath and get out the calculator and pencil. Budget and time line before recreational escape - that's the only way to make it real and not just something to ponder.

Good luck!
RVM2
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #7401

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
We have had the 6 and 8 year old since Thanksgiving. They have kept us busy. We took them on the town walking trail and burned off some of their energy. But they still had plenty to spare. They played with Abbie almost the whole time they were here and she is worn down.

Jim
Too bad you can't do like you do with grandkids like you can do with a dog and toss the ball while walking and have them fetch and return... they burn about 5 times the energy off that way....
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #7402

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Too bad you can't do like you do with grandkids like you can do with a dog and toss the ball while walking and have them fetch and return... they burn about 5 times the energy off that way....
I figured out the best of both worlds, let grand kids throw the ball, my two labs retrieved, I set on back deck and observed.

I even wore myself out doing that!

Dogs and kids loved it.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #7403

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post

I wish Abbie was more like a lab. After about 5 fetches. She looks at us as to say you want it you go get it.
I am finding Legos in some weird places.
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #7404

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart

I wish Abbie was more like a lab. After about 5 fetches. She looks at us as to say you want it you go get it.
Better Legos than sticky Eggos lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #7405

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart View Post
Jim, my labs are like the ever ready bunny. They will retrieve even if they don't see the ball drop. To let them know their in correct area and to start using their noise I'll tell them to "hunt it up".

My son was later playing catch with a small football with the 3 yo, he's pretty amazing for his age. On a ball that he missed and rolled down the hill, I heard my son telling the grandson to hunt it up, hunt it up! lol
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #7406

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I just humbly suggest that weather be a considering factor. I'm personally not inclined to attend anything anywhere that requires non-stop air conditioning or more than a light jacket in order to be comfortable outdoors. This is why Spring and Fall are good choices.

Perhaps someone can make a database of where we plan to be by the month and we can enter our itineraries. Maybe if there is a region that many RVMs will be in at the same time we can plan something.
I agree, and would especially like to get the heck out of dodge in my current residence in the summer!

I would like to go to Cali Beaches in the summer, but find the costs a bit too prohibitive. Perhaps a group thing would bring that cost down.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote