Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #19419

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Could it be...
Alas, if only it tasted like bacon!

Yacon Root
Yacon Syrup is a liquid sweetener made from the Yacon root, a tuber indigenous to the Andes of Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia. It is also commonly called the Peruvian Ground Apple, Sunroot, Sweetroot, or Strawberry Jicama. Yacon has a delicate caramel-honey taste that is not overwhelming and can be added to everything from teas to coffee, cacao drinks, smoothies, yogurt, cereal and basically anything that you want to sweeten. It is a delicious, light golden syrup. What is so extraordinary about this ‘super food’ is that it is a low glycemic sweetener with the added benefit of containing prebiotics.

A relative of the Jerusalem artichoke, Yacon contains something known as Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), a class of compounds that the body is not able to digest but that are able to support gut health by being a crucial source of food for the beneficial bacteria in the colon. We all know of the benefits of taking probiotics, but prebiotics are equally important for influencing the balance and composition of the microflora in the gut for they help probiotics colonize and more importantly provide the fuel for those probiotics so that they can create beneficial compounds known as short chain fatty acids, which have been shown to greatly benefit the physiology and the metabolism of the colon.

Where else can you find all this stuff, except among your fellow mutants!
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #19420

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Third day of a 2-week trip to Quebec City and Montreal. Driveway camping for 2 nights at my sister's south of Montreal and then to Quebec city for 4 nights. After that back to Montreal for 4 nights and then heading home. Typical hot, muggy summer weather in the St. Lawrence river valley. So far mostly fun and uneventful except for the second day. Heading into major construction west of Ottawa and then having to traverse the city on a busy expressway, also with lots of disappearing lanes due to contruction, a warning light popped up on the dash of the F-150 - TPMS fault. At first I was confused, as I had been thinking about putting a TPMS on the trailer but had not done so, then realized I must have one on the truck that I didn't even know about. Unfortunately, it did not indicate which tire. Got through all the construction to the south side of Ottawa totally freaked out and afraid of a blowout and finally found an exit with a gas station. Checked the pressures, and sure enough the front passenger tire was very low. Filled it up and headed off again. About 15 minutes later, warning popped up again. Gulp! Kept driving, getting more and more worried, thinking about blowouts, trying to change a tire on the highway, etc. etc. Finally stopped and put in some canned air and slime which got us to my sister's without incident. Today, took the truck to my sister's local mechanic (always great to live in the country!) and he could not find a hole or nail, so either the valve was leaking or the seal was bad. Didn't seem like the TPMS was faulty since the tire WAS low. Will see tomorrow morning before we set off again for Quebec City how it is. I drove around some today, but not highway driving. Keeping fingers crossed. Strange thing is I also had a very low tire on my less than 2-week old Subaru Crosstrek last week. Just my number up for tire problems, I guess! Otherwise, having a great time.

Tina.... I can relate... In the last year, my jeep has had 3 nails in 3 different tires, and a tire shredded while we were in Salt Lake City.... Not my year for tires either....

Diane is the original FTSFM........... (Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #19421

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Alas, if only it tasted like bacon! ......
Where else can you find all this stuff, except among your fellow mutants!
True dat! And I was looking into for the obvious or less obvious reasons....

But it is interesting that bacon is allowable on the Paleo Diet - and Yacon is good for you too!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #19422

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Could it be...
Sorry fella... know what your heart desires... but...
Wikipedia says...
Yacón syrup is a sweetening agent extracted from the tuberous roots of the yacón plant (Smallanthus sonchifolius) indigenous to the Andes mountains.[1]

Touted to help one lose weight?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #19423

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Speaking of regional variations ...

How many people outside of Ohio and Indiana have tried muskmelon? Looks almost like a cantaloupe.
I try to grow both. Some years I get one, other year, I get the other. My favorite variety is a smallish one called Ambrosia...but it is a cantaloupe.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #19424

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Speaking of melons -- the Kandy Lemondrop melons are now in stores. They look like a cantaloupe with a distinctive yellow tinge, and taste oh so luscious with a distinctive sweet lemony flavor. My daughter found them at Costco. I got mine last year at Sam's.

I saved the seed and sent some to Sue and Dunner, who shared some of his with Marty. I'm hoping they both get true Lemondrop melons, but you never know with hybrids, which I believe this is.

If you find them in your store buy them. You won't be sorry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #19425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Speaking of regional variations ...

How many people outside of Ohio and Indiana have tried muskmelon? Looks almost like a cantaloupe.

Not the same? I always thought they were. And then there's "mushmelon" too.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #19426

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Not the same? I always thought they were. And then there's "mushmelon" too.
And there is Fat Albert and Mushmouth
And Punkin Puss and Mushmouse...

More mutations.... and variations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406084530873.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	68831  
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #19427

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
From the I Can't Believe I Did That files --

Today I left the river house in the RV, with the car in tow, and drove to Puyallup, WA where my friend Don is spending his last week as an inpatient at Good Samaritan Rehab Hospital recovering from Gullian-Barre syndrome. I'm spending 3-4 days up here learning how to care for him, especially his tracheostomy.

So the hospital has 1 RV electric hookup and I reserved it. Debbie, who handles that, said she would park the hospital van there since it is frequently taken by someone ignoring the RV only parking sign. That she did do. But she also said she would move the van back to it's space at 3 PM, which she didn't do. And she left early today. Thanks, Debbie!

I tried parking in the van's space, but it was on an impossible slope. So, brilliant me sees a flat stretch of gravel next to the RV space and decides to park there. Only problem was this cliff behind the gravel space that I miss-judged the distance behind me and long story, short -- all the sudden I found my right rear end low and my left front tire about 10 inches above the gravel. OOOOOPPPS!

My Good Sam towing insurance paid for itself this year. Nothing was damaged beyond my pride. The tow bar very neatly put one arm on either side of a tree and only a nick the size of a quarter in the tree bark. It took all of 5 minutes to winch it out.

One more lesson learned the hard way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #19428

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
From the I Can't Believe I Did That files --

Today I left the river house in the RV, with the car in tow, and drove to Puyallup, WA where my friend Don is spending his last week as an inpatient at Good Samaritan Rehab Hospital recovering from Gullian-Barre syndrome. I'm spending 3-4 days up here learning how to care for him, especially his tracheostomy.

So the hospital has 1 RV electric hookup and I reserved it. Debbie, who handles that, said she would park the hospital van there since it is frequently taken by someone ignoring the RV only parking sign. That she did do. But she also said she would move the van back to it's space at 3 PM, which she didn't do. And she left early today. Thanks, Debbie!

I tried parking in the van's space, but it was on an impossible slope. So, brilliant me sees a flat stretch of gravel next to the RV space and decides to park there. Only problem was this cliff behind the gravel space that I miss-judged the distance behind me and long story, short -- all the sudden I found my right rear end low and my left front tire about 10 inches above the gravel. OOOOOPPPS!

My Good Sam towing insurance paid for itself this year. Nothing was damaged beyond my pride. The tow bar very neatly put one arm on either side of a tree and only a nick the size of a quarter in the tree bark. It took all of 5 minutes to winch it out.

One more lesson learned the hard way.

OMG, Barb! What a shock to the system! Did they have to give you CPR?

Good to hear from you and to know you're safe.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #19429

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
OMG, Barb! What a shock to the system! Did they have to give you CPR?

Good to hear from you and to know you're safe.
X 10 - The rainbow looks after those who look after themselves.
Or.... that's why I have GS Roadside too....
Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #19430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Oh post a pic of the gourds.... I am not gonna start another new technique, just curious... Lol....
As long as i dont see the bugs/worms/caterpillars.... I am ok....

But i would like to see photo

Btw
we are now A TWO KAYAK family.... Went and got another today, just like the other... Have a Lange System front and back bar in shipment.... Think it is like Jeff posted.... One like this... Nothing drilled or cut.
Attachment 68824

Diane is the original FTSFM........... (Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!

Good to hear you got a kayak rack. Thanks for the pic.

Here are some pics of the museum gourd:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406085707.337055.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	690.0 KB
ID:	68833 The whole case, my gourd top left.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406085769.888539.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	68834 The gourd and the Chinese batik cloth that inspired it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1406085885.413108.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	68835 A page in the accompanying book.

It's a fun technique and not difficult. If I can do it ...!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #19431

Tina, it's good to hear from you again and to know you're having a good trip, even if tire trouble takes a bit of the shine off the rainbow occasionally.

Having the TPMS is a good idea for sure. It lets you know when to worry, and when the break out the Rolaids.

Be safe and enjoy the rest of the ride.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #19432

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sue - your gourd art et all is beautiful. So why all the talk of worms... and squirms.... lol..

Very well done!

On edit - and me with cartoon triva of Mushmouth and Mushmouse.... lord help me... lol!!