Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #22443
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
PS: as per Steve, ditto. The Bella is 40' long. Only thing is, length determines the places you can go. For us, that rules out many state parks and most smaller places. Bigger, more "urban" parks are geared for big rigs; forested, hilly, picturesque places are not, usually.
See, that is just the thing. We PREFER state and national parks and forested, hilly picturesque places. I LOVE the size of a big diesel pusher and all the pluses that are inherent therein; but I don't love the idea of having to avoid the kind of campgrounds we prefer.

Dang, it isn't getting any easier!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #22444

Solo Rvers Club
Marty, Barb, Dave, Wayne and others I see my memory couldn't fit in...Glad to here from y'all again. Sorry missed ya the first post.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #22445

Good, good mutations....cue music. Oh darn, now this song will keep me awake! Thanks, Steve ... I think.

Great pic of mutants at OL! Dang! There shoulda been more of us, but y'all still made a really good showing. Thanks, DriVer, too!

Herb & Mel, thanks for the compliments. Fun for an evening, but I'm still the t-shirt, firewood, bacon-eating type.

Okay, so I stand corrected on the state park thing. I try to bow gracefully, but it ain't easy! :/ Maybe it's more Martin's concerns about driving and parking and getting satellite reception that keep us out of the smaller places I would prefer. I can understand. The extra living space is certainly useful, no doubt about that.

Bedtime beckons; it's been a long day. Cheers, all, and happy mutant dreams!

Sue
Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #22446
MPH

Okie dokes, folks. Lets say a miracle happens and I talk DW into a 36' Class A diesel. Where do you get the thing worked on if you're in BFE Wyoming or North Dakota? Oil changes? Scheduled maintenance?

If we go the Class A route, how much more will we be spending on fuel and maintenance? (I'll need to be able to address these kinds of questions.) The least of my worries is driving it. I'm crazy enough to believe I can drive anything and park it anywhere ... well almost anywhere, depending.

I'll start by changing my search criteria in RVT and RVTrader. Going to take a look at some A's. Also, with three RV dealers in town, I think I'll make the rounds again and this time look at their pre-owned Class As ... just in case.
Mel (not-a-dude )
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #22447

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Okie dokes, folks. Lets say a miracle happens and I talk DW into a 36' Class A diesel. Where do you get the thing worked on if you're in BFE Wyoming or North Dakota? Oil changes? Scheduled maintenance?

If we go the Class A route, how much more will we be spending on fuel and maintenance? (I'll need to be able to address these kinds of questions.) The least of my worries is driving it. I'm crazy enough to believe I can drive anything and park it anywhere ... well almost anywhere, depending.

I'll start by changing my search criteria in RVT and RVTrader. Going to take a look at some A's. Also, with three RV dealers in town, I think I'll make the rounds again and this time look at their pre-owned Class As ... just in case.
Mel (not-a-dude )
Hi Mel !!!!

Check out a Winnibago Vista they are shorter class A's and you can find them with plenty of space.

Also remember oil changes and filters once a year and you can get help anywhere in the USA just hop on iRV2 and ask you will get plenty of options

Cheers !!!!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #22448

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Morning Mel and all mutants everywhere...

Jim - Ginny - where are you? Mel is in need of your Class A Gas Insights...

Mel - bigger even than the Class A B C C+ ETC debate is the Diesel or Gas Debate. It will come down to youze... that's you and how you use it. So the hole in the whole thing is the... donut make ya crazy of I'll have a bacon donut please - sweet or savory... what's your preference... sorry about that 😉 I know it was no help.

That said - I am glad I at least said something... because you are asking the right questions and thinking out loud... there are lots of threads on the gas V diesel debate - and others can give their thoughts on it. Right now I have to go lower the bike rack on the CRV for Annie - she wants to pack some things in and take em to storage... cause - did I mention - I'm retiring and we're going full time Oct/Nov lol...

Good Luck...
PS - the first time I saw your "not a dude" signature - I thought - I know that... does she think I have lost my mind - and then I saw it again... and realized it was not directed at me.... Ok Wayne - Tim - Herb --- I opened the door on the status and location of my mind.... your turn. 😎
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #22449

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I'm still missing everyone... and while I don't say much about SOGC.... @ TBDRVPark and Curiosity Emporium - I have been collecting info - Intel - and paying attention to travel plans of mutants who share...

Which reminds me... A wizard has disappeared.... poof - Moonrover - come in... Moonrover.

And Long Strange Trip --- Old Me - Still upright are ya...

And this reminds me - Barb made the formal - and yet unenforceable request for Mutants to check in weekly... Ok we can't make ya - but if ya just said Hi... we'd know we didn't need to send the dogs out or alert the RVM SWAT Squad *** SO WHERE ARE THEY ***

And that's all have to say about that....

Good Night and Good Mutations...

Moonrover was on Rvillage last night..... So he is ok.....
Still wish we could get a weekly roll call..................
here, yea, nay, not interested anymore, leave me alone, i need help, just a one word lets us know you are still you....

Diane is the original FTSFM........... (Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #22450

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Geeze - that was easy - speaking of perceptions - Annie was certain letting the bike rack down was some big production number... 30 seconds it's down and she has the look of "Why do we keep you men around at all..." lol...

So - quickly here - there were Ford dealers - that did not or would not work on this beautiful - brand new 1991 when I bought it - and till the last day I owned it a couple years ago. On the road in Rapid City - on the road in WaKeeny KS and a few other places I found myself having Freightliner - truck stops - Pep Boys... and the odd Ford dealer provide service. Some didn't have a lift that could hoist it - others didn't have a bay height to get it in the door. Some were too busy to even want to talk about it.

The bigger question usually comes down to competency where repairs and maintence are concerned. You will find someone somewhere - but ya need to be sure they know what they're doing.

Was taking to RVM1 the other day and he is now a bonafied fan of SpeedCo... for DP fluid changes. I am a fan of Mobile Oil changes - Jeff I believe is a fan of do it yer self oil changes. I don't like to have to deal with the old fluid. I am a certified klutz and would have it everywhere in 5 minutes...

I am a huge fan Transynd transmission fluid and it's lifecycle... and you would be too. And the Allison Trans in a DP is smart - self preserving - and I would put it up against any you will find in a gasser.

Gotta run and do that w... thing a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411134830876.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	74257  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #22451

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
First off - Dog... apologies for a borrowing your picture - but it is instructional - and 2) Bonnie looks so comfy - it is mutating to just gaze upon your camp setup!

Mel - are you seeing the terrible place Dog had to stay because his DP was so big he couldn't get back to nature... oh the humanity...

So mutants - a pictorial challenge - show us your big rig in a State or Federal - Corp or Private park that comes close to wilderness - streams - mountains and such that others might think are unavailable in size 2 X or only at the Big and Tall store....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1411138399540.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	74262  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #22452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

Mel (not-a-dude )

Well I'll say that I have a gas class A wish I had A DP but money said no. and on my 33' motorhome I get 6mpg no matter what up hill down hill flat ground mine is a 454 chevy and oil changes are cheap same as a pick up. tune up same as a pick up. how ever oil changes every 3k it adds up. a DP on the other hand I think I'm right on this 9mpg and oil change every 7k at the same cost as an 18 wheeler. so about $200 each time. but with a DP you can pull more lbs behind it. also a engine brake is nice for them mountain runs. also for a used DP you can look to spend about 25k or more over a gas class A. hope this helps. in my opinion A DP is the way to go if your pocket says ok at first. they last longer.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #22453

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
did I mention - I'm retiring and we're going full time Oct/Nov lol...
I have lost my mind -Ok Wayne - Tim - Herb --- I opened the door on the status and location of my mind.... your turn. 😎
Steve you have such interesting post! I still have my mind, Wayne, Herb fess up!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #22454

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dwayne or some other insightful mutant.

In Mel's delimia I saw upper crust Cs C+ a Dynamax -

I know that B and upper level Cs can rival the price of As - for various reasons... but for sure there can be some savings in some Cs - just as there are in As - you have to know your price point as much as anything - but I concluded for me - value and bang for the buck is in the A DPs ,,, others conclude differently.

My biggest point to Mel and anyone thinking of buying the first big un... is to not rule out anything based only on the perceived drivablility of a Class A DP or gasser. The air suspension - air brakes and diesel generators are +++ enough to me - and yep - our 325 HP is smallish - but 8.8 - 9.6 mpg and not even broke in yet at 19 k miles....
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #22455

Quote:
First off - Dog... apologies for a borrowing your picture - but it is instructional - and 2) Bonnie looks so comfy - it is mutating to just gaze upon your camp setup!

Mel - are you seeing the terrible place Dog had to stay because his DP was so big he couldn't get back to nature... oh the humanity...

So mutants - a pictorial challenge - show us your big rig in a State or Federal - Corp or Private park that comes close to wilderness - streams - mountains and such that others might think are unavailable in size 2 X or only at the Big and Tall store....
Oregon coast

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142814.280866.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	74284

On the beach in Destin FL.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142874.679558.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	74286

Dont have pics handy of Yellowstone, or Grand Canyon, or Key West dry camping, but we pretty much take ours all over...

Diane is the original FTSFM........... (Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #22456

Next port, sailing into the harbor at Valleta on Malta just before dawn:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411141556.600162.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	74274

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411141659.575026.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	858.7 KB
ID:	74275

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411141749.549254.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	842.0 KB
ID:	74276
We stood watching from our starboard balcony, and I couldn't stop myself saying repeatedly, "Omigod! Omigod!" We have been to China, Tibet, and Japan, which have ancient civilizations, but this is even older. I have now been officially gobsmacked, to use the English word. It blindsided me!

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142079.932113.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	74277
Look up a crooked street:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142137.003900.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	74278
Or down on Valletta from the fortifications up at Mdina:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142353.008573.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	74279
Look up inside a lovely cathedral:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142434.948941.jpg
Size:	862.4 KB
ID:	74280

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142510.875541.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	864.6 KB
ID:	74281
Or down at all the mosaic designs over the graves of knights and bishops:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142628.969111.jpg
Size:	821.2 KB
ID:	74283
At sailaway late in the afternoon:

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411142829.329232.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	727.9 KB
ID:	74285 For all its age , Valletta is still a busy modern port.

In short, Malta is a bit of an unusual destination, and not an RVer's place, but well worth a visit.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming now....

Cheers!
Sue