Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #22653
MPH

Ok, dear, mutated friends, Steve suggested I talk about what exactly Kate & I are looking for in the way of a diesel pusher coach. So, here it is:

Budget is around $30-32k. We will pay cash. DW is not wanting to take out a loan (we live pretty much pay-as-we-go and don't owe anybody ... our homes & cars are paid for), although I would be willing to borrow $20 or $30k so we could get a newer coach. But, I am going to have to work within this budget, 'cause it ain't gonna change. I know that means we'll be buying an older coach, but I have to look at it this way ... an older coach is better than NO coach! And when we sell our primary home before taking off FT, we will put a chunk away into a MH fund to cover repairs and maintenance of the coach.

We have scoured the online classifieds for coaches in a 500 mile radius of where we live and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities. I am planning a kind of loopy trip around Texas to see all three this weekend (my sister driving, since I'm still recovering from knee surgery). Here they are, bottom to top ...

3) 1997 Monaco Windsor 38PB. It is a 38 footer with 53k miles. It has everything we want except a living room slide. We would not even consider it because of that, but it's a Monaco. It is in San Marcos, TX. Mom and Pop dealer was up front with me and said it would need front tires pretty soon. Rears are good, though. 275 hp Cummings and Roadmaster chassis. Know nothing of Roadmaster chassis. (??) Asking price: $30,000.

2) 1998 Newmar Dutchstar 3858. This is a 38' coach with 121k miles. It's a one-owner coach on a consignment lot in New Braunfels, TX. I'd have access to maintenance history. That would be nice. It has everything we want and them some. It has a 300hp Cat motor and a Freightliner chassis. Looks pretty well taken care of. Really like the sales woman in New Braunfels, TX that I spoke with. She was very up front about it and sent me some pics showing a little wear on the leather captains seats and a little chipping on the lower front of the coach. Asking price: $28,900.

1) 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. This is a 37' coach with 45k miles. It has everything...and I mean EVERYTHING we could possible want on it and then some, including solar panel, washer/dryer and dual pane windows. I do not like the floral pattern upholstery on the sofa and on the dinette booth benches. If we buy this coach, there would be an immediate re-upholstering of those items. Asking price: $29,950.

So, there you have it. Do you think we'll be able to find a nice, older coach at this price point? I don't want a p.o.s. coach, so will be very careful in this search.

If anyone knows of a super clean and well-cared for DP for sale in this price range, please let me know! And I welcome your input, advice and opinions. What do you think of this field of three we're looking at?

Gracias and good night! Whew. I'm beat
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:02 AM   #22654
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I have got to warn ya... Tim has the outside kitchen... and while I have not earned an invitation to watch him cheffin on it - I hear it is quite functional for his mutant operandi.
Terrific. He can be the official RVM outdoor kitchen chef. Happy for him to have that! And oh, I hope we camp beside them some day ... and get an invite for breakfast cooked at his outdoor kitchen!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #22655

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Sue, you take some amazing pics! You have the energy and stamina of a teenager. Your Rainbow sure does stretch a loooooooong way around the world!

Terrific!

Mel

Yup, Mel, and I rowed the whole way, too! ;0

Seriously? Whodathunk a plain ole farm girl would be seeing all these places? I grew up camping across the country because Daddy was Navy, stationed in CA, and all our families were in IL & IN. It was the only travel my folks could afford.

The travel bug bit them good, though, and me too. Been going ever since. Say "trip" and my backside is in the car before ya finish! In my previous life, then-hubby came home with a job offer and said, "Shall we move to Ecuador?" My response? "Sure! Where is that?" True story.

Cheers!
Sue
Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #22656
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Yup, Mel, and I rowed the whole way, too! ;0

Seriously? Whodathunk a plain ole farm girl would be seeing all these places? I grew up camping across the country because Daddy was Navy, stationed in CA, and all our families were in IL & IN. It was the only travel my folks could afford.

The travel bug bit them good, though, and me too. Been going ever since. Say "trip" and my backside is in the car before ya finish! In my previous life, then-hubby came home with a job offer and said, "Shall we move to Ecuador?" My response? "Sure! Where is that?" True story.

Cheers!
Sue
You made me laugh out loud. Now I'll sleep better!
Can't wait to meet you. I think we must be related.

Mel
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #22657

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok Mel, I know your type. Had a similar talk with Elizabeth when her and Mary first came on the thread. You see it's about choices in life. Some, and I want say who, will feel your life choices are all wrong.

Elizabeth and Mary choice to buy a car, when they could of bought A JEEP!
Now you have decided, most likely without trying out an outside kitchen, that you don't want one! Try one, you may like it! Make the right choice!

The real story is the used coach I bought had one and I first wanted to remove it so we had plenty of storage. Now that we've used it we actually love it, although it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll at the next GC, providing I'm not too old to travel! ( that was a jab at Steve) or a mini-c anytime.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #22658

Quote:
Ok, dear, mutated friends, Steve suggested I talk about what exactly Kate & I are looking for in the way of a diesel pusher coach. So, here it is:

Budget is around $30-32k. We will pay cash. DW is not wanting to take out a loan (we live pretty much pay-as-we-go and don't owe anybody ... our homes & cars are paid for), although I would be willing to borrow $20 or $30k so we could get a newer coach. But, I am going to have to work within this budget, 'cause it ain't gonna change. I know that means we'll be buying an older coach, but I have to look at it this way ... an older coach is better than NO coach! And when we sell our primary home before taking off FT, we will put a chunk away into a MH fund to cover repairs and maintenance of the coach.

We have scoured the online classifieds for coaches in a 500 mile radius of where we live and have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities. I am planning a kind of loopy trip around Texas to see all three this weekend (my sister driving, since I'm still recovering from knee surgery). Here they are, bottom to top ...

3) 1997 Monaco Windsor 38PB. It is a 38 footer with 53k miles. It has everything we want except a living room slide. We would not even consider it because of that, but it's a Monaco. It is in San Marcos, TX. Mom and Pop dealer was up front with me and said it would need front tires pretty soon. Rears are good, though. 275 hp Cummings and Roadmaster chassis. Know nothing of Roadmaster chassis. (??) Asking price: $30,000.

2) 1998 Newmar Dutchstar 3858. This is a 38' coach with 121k miles. It's a one-owner coach on a consignment lot in New Braunfels, TX. I'd have access to maintenance history. That would be nice. It has everything we want and them some. It has a 300hp Cat motor and a Freightliner chassis. Looks pretty well taken care of. Really like the sales woman in New Braunfels, TX that I spoke with. She was very up front about it and sent me some pics showing a little wear on the leather captains seats and a little chipping on the lower front of the coach. Asking price: $28,900.

1) 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. This is a 37' coach with 45k miles. It has everything...and I mean EVERYTHING we could possible want on it and then some, including solar panel, washer/dryer and dual pane windows. I do not like the floral pattern upholstery on the sofa and on the dinette booth benches. If we buy this coach, there would be an immediate re-upholstering of those items. Asking price: $29,950.

So, there you have it. Do you think we'll be able to find a nice, older coach at this price point? I don't want a p.o.s. coach, so will be very careful in this search.

If anyone knows of a super clean and well-cared for DP for sale in this price range, please let me know! And I welcome your input, advice and opinions. What do you think of this field of three we're looking at?

Hello Mel,

Your first two choices sound pretty good, the third choice with front tire needs would be my third choice as well, your first choice with the upholstery obstacles might slip to number number two in a hurry. Newmar makes a great coach, but since all I've ever owned is a Beaver I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

Cheers !!!!!! (Jeff)
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #22659

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ha Jeff, did you see the pictures of the Jeep Steve and Annie got me? Just what I wanted!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #22660

Quote:

old coaches are nice to we have a 1990 HR Imperial 33' gas power it has worked for us just fine have been from the west coast to the east now on our way back west. I hope one day we can get a dp with a slide.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #22661
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Ok Mel, I know your type. Had a similar talk with Elizabeth when her and Mary first came on the thread. You see it's about choices in life. Some, and I want say who, will feel your life choices are all wrong.

Elizabeth and Mary choice to buy a car, when they could of bought A JEEP!
Now you have decided, most likely without trying out an outside kitchen, that you don't want one! Try one, you may like it! Make the right choice!

The real story is the used coach I bought had one and I first wanted to remove it so we had plenty of storage. Now that we've used it we actually love it, although it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll at the next GC, providing I'm not too old to travel! ( that was a jab at Steve) or a mini-c anytime.
It's good to start the day with a laugh! Ok, I will concede that there are benefits to having an outside kitchen. We would save a lot of steps not having to go inside to get a cold beer ... we could attract new friends with the aroma of some hearty chili con carne cooking on the stove top ... and an outside kitchen would keep us, well, OUTSIDE, where all the scenery is!

I concede. Would take an outside kitchen.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #22662

Quote:
Not even close... lol... Wayne said to ask him... to show you HIS pride and joy... and that should be Earlene - but he implied it is a picture of Di with her missing tooth... but knowing Wayne...

Yep.... On his IPHONE 6..... Lol he got one....

Diane is the original FTSFM........... (Fast Talking Sliding Finger Mutant, #64) and is retired, duh!
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #22663
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hello Mel,

Your first two choices sound pretty good, the third choice with front tire needs would be my third choice as well, your first choice with the upholstery obstacles might slip to number number two in a hurry. Newmar makes a great coach, but since all I've ever owned is a Beaver I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

Cheers !!!!!! (Jeff)
Thanks, Jeff. It looks like I'll be looking at the Newmar first, then the Monaco, and finally, the HR Endeavor. Of course, I'll post my findings here for all the Mutants to read ... and advise us.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #22664
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
old coaches are nice to we have a 1990 HR Imperial 33' gas power it has worked for us just fine have been from the west coast to the east now on our way back west. I hope one day we can get a dp with a slide.
Great to know! I imagine if you take good care of a coach it will take good care of you for many years. We're going to give that a try, anyway!

I appreciate your comment. Encouraging!!!

Mel
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #22665

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a few of my stained glass works-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Door.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	74602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Flowers.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	74603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Window Skaters 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	74604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iris.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	74605  

Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #22666
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
^^^ Thanks Wayne... most reviews on the Black are pretty good. I think it's a special use toy - tool - and would be good on Annie's bike - shirt pocket and driving video to send her mom and dad... Hi - here we are kind of thing... the in rv videos Heath and Alyssa post on YouTube look very good...
For that purpose it is going to be wonderful. I'd go with the 3+ as it does have more capabilities. The mounting attachments are many and not only including the bike handle bar but there are head straps, chest straps and various configurations. The quality is quite good for what it was designed for. I don't think Annie will be disappointed having one for her "bike-scapades."

Quote:
Sugar and calorie free milkshakes - 😎😎
That is what we all ordered, no calories, but you know you can never trust what they will give you in a glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
Love it all. Thanks! And we'll all look forward to seeing your "pride and joy" sometime, if Di doesn't throttle you first!

Larry: pics of your stained glass, please!!!
Trust me Sue, my pride in joy is original. You will love it.

Quote:
I'm not sure I trust the old coot enough to ask to see his pride and joy...
You are going to want my pride and joy. Unfortunately you will have to get your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbnBarb View Post
Steve are you sayin Larry is too old to still have pride and joy? Lol
He will most likely be wanting to see my pride and joy after this discussion. I'll warn him here that he has to get his own after he sees mine.

Quote:
Thanks so much! Look forward to meeting y'all somewhere along the Rainbow before too much longer!

Mel
Think Rockport, TX, Rockport, TX, Rockport, TX, in November.

Also, have you looked at the PPL Motorhomes web site?

PPL Motorhomes

Or Motor Home Specialists

It's nice to just look also, eh?

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote