Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #41749
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I don't think it's luck Wayne, sort of a deserving benefit for your fine service…I'm just surprised not all veterans are aware those exist. When I was in FL over the winter, I met a guy across from me (we went motorcycle riding) and he (Marine) wasn't aware of that benefit. Made sure he was and places he should consider. He's going back this winter to the same place however, he has a good deal there based on his usage.
Thanks, all one has to do is be retired military or 100% disabled. I prefer my status of retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Wayne deserves it! But for all his talk of great weather... not 1 picture....
Would you like a picture of the blue sky? Maybe Earlene has some pictures she will share. I'll ask her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
It is indeed a cozy little cottage.

Attachment 102141

Attachment 102142

I'm getting reacquainted to driving on the correct side of the road in a stick shift Audi A4 diesel. It has this quirky fuel saving system of turning off the engine whenever you stop at a light - the first time it happened I thought I had stalled it. The other thing I'm having to get used to is the local high banked roads that are not much more than 10ft wide. Passing bays are provided every 200 yds. or so.

Sue and I are now settling in and working out what to do and where to go over the next week we are here.
When we were in the Far East we had to drive on the "wrong" side of the road and sit in the "wrong" side of a car for 3 years. In the learning process my biggest problem would be pulling out of a parking lot. For some odd reason I always wanted to turn into the right hand lane. It was sure funny and odd when we returned to the states and the same thing applied.

I feel your 10ft widths, although that may be a little wide. I can remember traversing down streets and there was a 1/4 inch of clearance and then sometime you had to maneuver the mirror around the other cars mirror. I would go real real slow but the natives zoomed around like it was nothing.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #41750
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Approximately 40 years ago we started our camping lives in this:

1972 Chevy Sportvan 20 equipped by TravCo. Slept 4 - two adults and to children (or small persons) in a bunk above the bed in the rear. The bed served as a daytime table. Two burner propane stove. Propane furnace for heat (and did it heat) Sink with the gray water drain a garden hose connection to the outside. A porta-potty that was a box with a padded lid that opened to a toilet seat and a bucket underneath that (with chemicals). Air conditioning was two windows down and speeding down the highway (top closed of course).

Those were the days, and now are the days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	102164  
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #41751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
It took me a while to get used to driving from where the passenger is supposed to sit too.

If you are going to be anywhere near Devon try taking in the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway run. The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway | The Last Narrow-Gauge Railway Adventure Happens to be my favoritest railway in the world. From what I hear its the most scenic area of the UK.

We plan to take up your suggestion this week. This is, indeed, a lovely part of the country. More pics when possible. Wish you were here! All of youse!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #41752

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
We plan to take up your suggestion this week. This is, indeed, a lovely part of the country. More pics when possible. Wish you were here! All of youse!
Sue,

When you get to Woody Bay Station please go into the Tea Room and say hi to Judy Williams for me. See if you can scrounge a free cab ride by using my name

I so envy you being able to visit.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #41753

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Sue,

When you get to Woody Bay Station please go into the Tea Room and say hi to Judy Williams for me. See if you can scrounge a free cab ride by using my name

I so envy you being able to visit.
Sue, feel free to throw my name around too. I'm pretty big across the pond! Actually I'm pretty big here, who's idea was it to bring a scale to a GC?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #41754

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Sue, feel free to throw my name around too. I'm pretty big across the pond! Actually I'm pretty big here, who's idea was it to bring a scale to a GC?
Hey Tim! So what did ya see today besides eye lids?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #41755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
We are watching the fires all along the route. We still have several days here so maybe it will be more contained when we start North. Smoke is not something we want to be in. Funny that the wind is blowing it to the West according to State web reports.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that.

Well, we are still having that "drop-down-jack" on the left front. Fortunately we are in a fairly level site so I just have to bump it once in a while. I hope we continue to get level sites.

Regarding Freightliner, there should be a 30 day guarantee, but read the paper work they gave you or give them a call.

It is 72˚ at 10:00 a.m. and just wonderful sitting here with the windows open and a cool breeze blowing. If anyone wants to escape the heat for the summer, the Left Coast is the place to do it. One just has to get used to the high $$ RV parks. I'm in a military park right now at less $$ a night so that is not bad. Next stop is for 2 nights up the highway at $115 for the 2 nights, but then military again with just WE at considerably less a night. Just lucky we can stay at those parks.

Since we coined the name "Citrus," you can use her cousing, "Lime."
Smoke shouldn't be a problem as it is blowing east into the valley and the going north towards Redding.
Sacramento is pretty clear today.

Gary
gwlaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #41756

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaeb View Post
Smoke shouldn't be a problem as it is blowing east into the valley and the going north towards Redding.
Sacramento is pretty clear today.
This report brought to you by RV Mutant News, Fire Reporting Division, Sacramento, California. Film at 11.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #41757

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dwayne, any update on the tranny?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #41758

Quote:
I've been e-mailing with her so she is OK probably just busy.

Steve is this Nevada Northern Railway Museum Historic train ride what we were chatting about?

Possum,

The NNRM is a great experience. It is however out in the middle of nowhere. If you can visit it I would recommend spending a day or more there.

If you can then make your way west to Carson City, there are a couple of good museums there, including the Nevada State Railroad Museum where I volunteer. It is open Thursday thru Monday with train rides on the weekends. If you PM me, I'll try to be there to give you a tour.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438813305.677894.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	102179

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438813406.172311.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	102181

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438814105.529604.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	102185

The Virginia & Truckee also has all day trips to Virginia City on weekends and hourly trips VC to Gold Hill every day.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #41759

For those in the Las Vegas area, check out the Railroad Museum in Boulder City. The train runs on weekends to Railroad Pass and back. It is air conditioned, too. While you are there check out the 'Jackass Flat' loco from the atomic test site.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #41760

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo Driver View Post
For those in the Las Vegas area, check out the Railroad Museum in Boulder City. The train runs on weekends to Railroad Pass and back. It is air conditioned, too. While you are there check out the 'Jackass Flat' loco from the atomic test site.
Hey guy... so glad your ears perked up when I mentioned you!

I've had you and the Inyo on my mind since we got to Vegas. Problem is, my memory isn't what it once was... I got you in my notes now! Hope to meet you one day... possibly in the fall...

Steve and Annie
Old 08-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #41761

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bootleggers Bistro Vegas Baby.. Linguini Vongole, Ravioli with Rose Sauce, Ensalata Caprese...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1438822958411.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	102202   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438822984067.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	102203  

Name:	1438823003468.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	102204  
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #41762

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Almost forgot the piano man... the Bootlegger is a great place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1438823106451.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	102205