Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #42239

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talked to some neighbors today. 14 folks in 5 Rentabagos from the Netherlands. They're having a blast! Picked up the RVs 3 weeks ago in SLC and drop them off in Vegas in a week or so. Very nice folks! They leave here tomorrow - guess they heard the mutants were coming.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #42240
MPH

Terrific pic of some sick, twisted Mutants! Wish we were there.

Update on the Bow saga ....

Review: Last month, Freightliner put in a new dash AC compressor. Blew ice cold afterward. Right after compressor installed, niece and her hubby had a breakdown on way to PDC State Park. Towed first (Friday night) to campground by I-37. That Monday, towed to Cummins in Amarillo.

So, we pick up Bow from Cummins and drive home to Lubbock, but notice dash AC isn't blowing cold. Park Bow in slot and get busy. Forgot to call about AC. Yesterday I went out to Bow's storage unit and checked AC. Not cold. Take to Freightloner.

Freightliner just called to say the compressor is damaged like it was hit. They sent me pics. He said it looked like something backed into it or hit it. So, one of the 2 tow companies that hooked her up and towed her or the folks at Cummins damaged the compressor and it has to be replaced ... again! Only, it had worked fine when the first tow truck took it. But I have no way to prove which one of the three entities (Tow company A, Tow company B, or Cummins) did the damage!!!!! Kate is about to come unglued - a very rare occurrence. I'm about to just throw my hands up and cry.

Since it is highly unlikely we can get anyone to own up to damaging the compressor, we are going to be out yet another &2000 to have it replaced again. We're just about done. I'm thinking we sell Bow and get out of her what we can and buy a 3/4 pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and say goodbye to motorhome expenses. It's way cheaper to maintain a pickup than a motorhome!

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #42241

I must be married to a Mutant.. Fresh out of hospital & she has been packing for road trip.. Not sure how far we will get before she runs out of shear will power & asks to turn around.. BUT, Saturday, I am pointing our "Micro RV" WEST & see if we get close to Bryce B4 y'all leave... Thanks for all the Ohmmmsss to restore Ann to at least 65% (AND she works harder at 65% than anyone I know at 100%)..

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #42242

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post

Review: Last month, Freightliner put in a new dash AC compressor. Blew ice cold afterward. Right after compressor installed, niece and her hubby had a breakdown on way to PDC State Park. Towed first (Friday night) to campground by I-37. That Monday, towed to Cummins in Amarillo.

So, we pick up Bow from Cummins and drive home to Lubbock, but notice dash AC isn't blowing cold. Park Bow in slot and get busy. Forgot to call about AC. Yesterday I went out to Bow's storage unit and checked AC. Not cold. Take to Freightloner.

Freightliner just called to say the compressor is damaged like it was hit. They sent me pics. He said it looked like something backed into it or hit it. So, one of the 2 tow companies that hooked her up and towed her or the folks at Cummins damaged the compressor and it has to be replaced ... again! Only, it had worked fine when the first tow truck took it. But I have no way to prove which one of the three entities (Tow company A, Tow company B, or Cummins) did the damage!!!!! Kate is about to come unglued - a very rare occurrence. I'm about to just throw my hands up and cry.

Since it is highly unlikely we can get anyone to own up to damaging the compressor, we are going to be out yet another &2000 to have it replaced again. We're just about done. I'm thinking we sell Bow and get out of her what we can and buy a 3/4 pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and say goodbye to motorhome expenses. It's way cheaper to maintain a pickup than a motorhome!

That is about like our luck.. So SORRY to hear...

Richard & "Queen" Ann, RVM # 110.. .. 2019 Coach House 26' .... Our Chihuahua T.T. lets us serve her in Arkansas.. lol
romin roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #42243

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Freightloner just called to say the compressor is damaged like it was hit. They sent me pics. He said it looked like something backed into it or hit it. So. One of the 2 tow companies that hooked her up and towed her or the folks at Cummins daged my compressor and it has to be replaced ... again! Only, it had work d fine when the first row truck took it. But I have no way to prove which one of the three entities (Tow company A, Tow company B, or Cummins) did the damage!!!!! Kate is about to come unglued - a very rare occurrence. I'm about to just throw my hands up and cry.

since it is highly unlikely we can get anyone to own up to damaging the compressor, we are going to be out yet another &2000 to have it replaced again. We're just about done. I'm thinking we sell Bow and get out of her what we can and buy a 3/4 pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and say goodbye to motorhome expenses. It's way cheaper to maintain a pickup than a motorhome!

That stinks. I don't know how you can prove who did what - but you know you didn't do anything. Maybe they can get a handle on it when they pull it - I don't know how though.

Remember how some classes averaged the test curve - drop the highest and lowest scores - I think you have to drop this expenses as a fluke, and look at the overall situation excluding this.

Freightliner has a service inspection - they check quite a few things - I don't remember the price - but they will let you know how things are stacking up... have you had that done?

You have come a long way and it seems that your pretty far down the road to turn back now. See if you can't get a handle on the maintenence items that are coming - how are the breaks - the air bags, the engine. Have an oil sample taken. Has the radiator been flushed? We bought Bonita 2 years before going full time so we could do all this while working.

I know it's frustrating - but I can't help but believe Bow isn't near the ready mark - but a checkup could be informative.

Realistically - a truck and fiver will set ya back and will not be trouble free either. Just 2 cents of what the heck do I know.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #42244

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

Two things come to mind for me: Can you post the photos that Cummins sent you? Do you have comprehensive coverage on Bow? If it's damage from a "hit" then it should fall under that insurance coverage. Hard for me to visualize how an A/C compressor can get damaged by a "hit" without some body panels also having some damage. Just my $0.02. Best of luck on getting it ironed out.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #42245

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Two things come to mind for me: Can you post the photos that Cummins sent you? Do you have comprehensive coverage on Bow? If it's damage from a "hit" then it should fall under that insurance coverage. Hard for me to visualize how an A/C compressor can get damaged by a "hit" without some body panels also having some damage. Just my $0.02. Best of luck on getting it ironed out.
I thought the same thing....
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #42246

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Call Cummins ask for the service manager... explain AC worked before engine died and what Frightliner said about damage see if he can research and come up with an answer.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #42247

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezman View Post
Call Cummins ask for the service manager... explain AC worked before engine died and what Frightliner said about damage see if he can research and come up with an answer.
Hey... quit posting and get here... lol.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #42248

American Coach Owners Club
R U an RV Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hey... quit posting and get here... lol.
Well its all your fault... start date is tomorrow and that is what I made the reservations for.
We called Ruby's and our site is full tonight so made no since to set up and move.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #42249
MPH

Bow's Woes

Ok, here are the pics of Bow's new compressor. Freightliner installed it about 3 weeks ago. I took it back to them today because the dash AC wasn't blowing cold air. The Freightliner service rep took the pics and sent them to me. Damage had to have occurred when it was towed to Cummins or when Cummins towed into their service bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow's damaged compressor 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	103314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow's damaged compressor 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	103315  

Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #42250
MPH

Bow's ongoing saga ... tragedy

New problem. Oh joy. I went to Freightliner an hour ago to pick up Bow. Rep notices little pool of oil under coach. Says, "We better check that out." Service tech comes over and pulls dip stick. Bone dry. Cummins just did an oil/filter change weeks ago along with $4,000 dollars of other work!

So, the very nice Freightliner rep (Cory) says he will call Cummins. He also asked my permission to pull the oil filter and break into it. He ants to check it for metal shavings. If there are metals shavings in the filter, he tells me that would be very, very bad ...and indicate an extremely expensive repair (bearings and so forth). So, I'm at home on pins and needles. He's going to call me in a bit to let me know what they find.

Steve, I know for a fact that a pickup truck is less expensive to maintain than a diesel motorhome. I also know that travel trailers and fifth wheels have problems, too. But I just can't imagine that anything is as expensive as a diesel motorcoach to work on! I mean, Barb budgets like $1,000 a year for maintenance on her gas engine mini moho!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #42251

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And So It Begins

Well Pat and I have become the proud parents of a shiny new Tiffin Allegro. Bit more than we were planning on spending but hey ho, the kids don't need an inheritance anyway.All we have to do know is sell the sticks and bricks and we'll be out there on the rainbow. I know I know, without pics it didn't happen but I can't see how to load them...is it an iPad thing?
We'll have lots of questions and I somehow RVM's won't be short of answers.
Be safe and have fun in Bryce.

Barry and Pat RVM114
TGA2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #42252

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA2016 View Post
Well Pat and I have become the proud parents of a shiny new Tiffin Allegro. Bit more than we were planning on spending but hey ho, the kids don't need an inheritance anyway.All we have to do know is sell the sticks and bricks and we'll be out there on the rainbow. I know I know, without pics it didn't happen but I can't see how to load them...is it an iPad thing?
We'll have lots of questions and I somehow RVM's won't be short of answers.
Be safe and have fun in Bryce.

Barry and Pat RVM114
Well played sir. Well played!