Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #42281

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Ok, here are the pics of Bow's new compressor. Freightliner installed it about 3 weeks ago. I took it back to them today because the dash AC wasn't blowing cold air. The Freightliner service rep took the pics and sent them to me. Damage had to have occurred when it was towed to Cummins or when Cummins towed into their service bay.

If they replaced this condenser 3 weeks ago they missed a mounting bolt (right lower corner). But unless you were driving in a lot of rain and dust it doesn't appear new to me. Just sayin'

Quote:
Yes it's the condenser. I don't know why I keep calling it a compressor. They put in a new condenser. There is actually a hole in that coil. They told me they could braise (?) it. (Put a copper patch over the hole.) they offered to give me the truck rate rather than the moho rate and knock off an hour or two on the price.
Most A/C condensers are made of aluminum. Brazing aluminum with copper probably won't hold.

Another concern is that this will cause and orifice type effect at the point of the patch. That could defeat the purpose of the condenser in condensing the refrigerant thereby sending gas to the expansion valve or orificed fitting at the evaporator coil.

Another, there is refrigerant oil in the A/C system which could cause problems when trying to solder the tube. Maybe this is the location of the oil puddle on the floor??

If damaged in towing should be an insurance claim.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #42282

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Yep yep I feel it! Usually means it's time to go to the bathroom, but I feel it!
Me too...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 PM   #42283
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
Just thought I would post a picture of some fine looking mutants that were meeting to plan their attack upon Bryce Canyon

You have been warned. We're coming
Who is the Santa with the beard. New Mutant?

Quote:
Terrific pic of some sick, twisted Mutants! Wish we were there.

Update on the Bow saga ....

Review: Last month, Freightliner put in a new dash AC compressor. Blew ice cold afterward. Right after compressor installed, niece and her hubby had a breakdown on way to PDC State Park. Towed first (Friday night) to campground by I-37. That Monday, towed to Cummins in Amarillo.

So, we pick up Bow from Cummins and drive home to Lubbock, but notice dash AC isn't blowing cold. Park Bow in slot and get busy. Forgot to call about AC. Yesterday I went out to Bow's storage unit and checked AC. Not cold. Take to Freightloner.

Freightliner just called to say the compressor is damaged like it was hit. They sent me pics. He said it looked like something backed into it or hit it. So, one of the 2 tow companies that hooked her up and towed her or the folks at Cummins damaged the compressor and it has to be replaced ... again! Only, it had worked fine when the first tow truck took it. But I have no way to prove which one of the three entities (Tow company A, Tow company B, or Cummins) did the damage!!!!! Kate is about to come unglued - a very rare occurrence. I'm about to just throw my hands up and cry.

Since it is highly unlikely we can get anyone to own up to damaging the compressor, we are going to be out yet another &2000 to have it replaced again. We're just about done. I'm thinking we sell Bow and get out of her what we can and buy a 3/4 pickup and a 5th wheel trailer and say goodbye to motorhome expenses. It's way cheaper to maintain a pickup than a motorhome!

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.
Quote:
Yes it's the condenser. I don't know why I keep calling it a compressor. They put in a new condenser. There is actually a hole in that coil. They told me they could braise (?) it. (Put a copper patch over the hole.) they offered to give me the truck rate rather than the moho rate and knock off an hour or two on the price.
Mel and Kate,
I am so sorry you are having these problems. In your post you stated that the AC was working after the first tow. Wouldn't that be enough to charge the second tow with improper hook up? I agree that you should ask Cummings and Freightliner what the exact cause could have been. I'd stick with the second tow company as at fault. Since the MH was not in operation and being towed it may be possible to claim it on comprehensive insurance and let the insurance company work it out with the tow company. There I go, thinking out-loud again.

As you know, we have put a lot of money into Citrus, not including $3500 for 6 new tires. We had a 5th wheel prior to Citrus. On one trip we shelled out $2250 for a computer module for the injectors. GS and insurance did not cover computer modules. As for the 5th wheel, well we only had it a year but it was in the shop a few times for things that did not work right. Talk about luck. (bad that is) One day a friend of mine accompanied me to the storage facility. I backed the 5er in, dropped the tail gate, unhooked the umbilical cord, raised the king pin to see just a little daylight, got in and pulled forward. My friend did me a favor as I was getting into the cab. he raised the tail gate to its riding position. Needless to say $1000 later I had a new tailgate. And on, and on, and on....

I don't think anyone can say with conviction that any one manufacture is better than the other and that any one model from a manufacturer is better than another. Earlene loves the Prevost and if the right man comes along she'd probably go with him, but then one day I asked her if she knew the difference between a Prevost and Citrus. The answer from me was, "The Prevost costs more to repair."

Regarding a gasser, well, towing a gasser improperly would have cost the same to have the condenser repaired/replace as for the DP - me thinks. The damage shown in the pictures could not have been caused by normal driving and Cummings or Freightliner would have had to raise it improperly on a jack system. I do not believer they did anything improper to cause that. My money would be on the 2nd tow truck driver. I'm not sure on your model but on mine before it can be towed the tow truck driver needs to disconnect the drive shaft. I'm wondering if that could have been problem with the oil. Someone on here will be able to tell you if the drive shaft needed to be disconnected.

Something is amiss with the breakage of the condenser. Smells fishy, and the oil leak. You never saw oil leaks before so it had to have been done very recently.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #42284

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mutants doing what mutants do... and the two tunnels on 12 as you enter Red Canyon just outside of Ruby's...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439609391332.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	103357   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439609407058.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	103358  

Name:	1439609433879.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	103359   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439609450505.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	103360  

Name:	1439610499352.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	103361  
Old 08-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #42285

I'm with the skeptical crowd too, concerning MEL's condenser as well as the engine oil loss. Things that raise the red flag have already been noted.

Oil puddle under engine ... mechanic pulls dip stick ... announces no oil in an engine that was just driven X-miles to the shop?? In the old days this would indicate a dip stick reading that was done by not completely inserting the stick back in for the level check. Called "short sticking". If 6 or 7 gallons of oil had been cavitating on the journey to the shop, there would be a massive oily mess dripping from the engine. It would be glistening with oil.

OK, maybe my paranoid genes are over active, but I do feel my eyebrows raising.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #42286

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mel, thought of the lyrics to this song when I heard of your troubles. Makes my heart hurt to hear of the anxiety you are going through.

I'm feeling a little like that tonight too. Got a call from the shop, Honey was done, but there were more problems. Seemed like they put a new compressor on, but said something about the cold air not getting to the cab. Needed to take the dash apart to clean something, they didn't have the time before we left. Brought it home, and son says, well, it's not turning or running or something. Gonna let Hubby take care of it tomorrow. We'll either have dash AC or not on our trip. Not a thing I can do about it... might decide to sleep days and drive nights though....if no AC.

About the time I brought the Honey home from the shop, I walked into the house to horrible squeaking that was fast turning into screeching... seems the blower on the Stick and brick A/C gave up the ghost. The store my son can get the part at discount due to his education at the Community College in HVAC is closed on the weekend. Glad we have an attic fan and it is cool enough tonight to sleep comfortable. Tomorrow heat may be another story. Good thing I picked up some last minute Critter care jobs before we left! They will pay for the S&B AC troubles...Labor is room and board for my son and his wife.... Honey is another thing... sigh. Should have put her in the shop a few weeks ago for her work, I think.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 PM   #42287

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
I'm with the skeptical crowd too, concerning MEL's condenser as well as the engine oil loss. Things that raise the red flag have already been noted.

Oil puddle under engine ... mechanic pulls dip stick ... announces no oil in an engine that was just driven X-miles to the shop?? In the old days this would indicate a dip stick reading that was done by not completely inserting the stick back in for the level check. Called "short sticking". If 6 or 7 gallons of oil had been cavitating on the journey to the shop, there would be a massive oily mess dripping from the engine. It would be glistening with oil.

OK, maybe my paranoid genes are over active, but I do feel my eyebrows raising.
And the bad guys in the old days could wipe a dipstick with perfect slight of hand.... Vegas show magicians would marvel.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #42288

Vintage RV Owners Club
And, I decided to get a pedicure.... I think I need the break from all the running around for extra critter care jobs, crazy stuff going on in my Extension Master Gardening org. I must attend to as I got the presidency dumped on me, and packing & loading stuff, getting laundry done, grocery shopping for us and the Son & his wife while we are gone etc. I think I'm gonna be really happy to get out of here for a couple weeks! (Even if there isn't cab air.... we have workarounds in mind which aren't quite as comfy but work ok enough.)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #42289

American Coach Owners Club
R U an RV Mutant

What a fantastic day......

Took Papa Steves suggestion visted Colorado Memorial this am... very nice.
Traveled a few hundred miles, stopped for the night at a Walmart only to find a couple more traveling mutant MH's.
Finish a bottle of Patron tequila yum...
Good night all feeling fine.
Look out we are getting close.....
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #42290

Hey Mel,

I know it can be frustrating, I know it can seem insurmountable, but at this point it may cost you more to sell him than to keep him. If we ever get a chance to meet I can tell you what it cost us to get started. We had many many repair hurdles to get over, but I swear it does get better, and just so you know my coach is 15 years old.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #42291

And !!! Just one more thing .....

Dirty Dave, Tipsey Tim, and Stuttering Steve ..... I'ma gona be huntin y'all ......

Yeeeeeee Hawwwww
Old 08-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #42292

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
And !!! Just one more thing .....

Dirty Dave, Tipsey Tim, and Stuttering Steve ..... I'ma gona be huntin y'all ......

Yeeeeeee Hawwwww
I got a cap with your name on it...
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #42293

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Evenin Muteys!

Dang there must be sumpin in the air cause we've been sitting in a hotel room for four days waitin on Cummins to get Jenny runnin again. This trip has just about eaten our lunch. First it was a freak water leak from the grey tank where the drain hose clamps into the tank which just happens to be right above the inverter. Yep, inverter gets wet and fries. GSEW says they won't cover it. That was $2500 in Colorado Springs shop. I wasn't a happy camper because that inverter was only 8 months old and because of a freak leak, manufacturer will not honor any warranty. Then we roll on towards Yellowstone from SLC and 13 miles short of our destination Jenny overheats on flat ground. I unhook Jeepy, drive in to get some coolant but she only takes a gallon. Start her up, straight to red she goes in no time. It took us three hours to limp into West Yellowstone on a Saturday afternoon. Starting goin maybe a mile then shutting her down to cool off. Called GS Roadside and had her towed to Bozeman where we have been all week. Should be done tomorrow and another $3900 until I see what GSEW will cover. Fan Shroud sheared off all bolts but one and shroud dropped against the fan causing it to barely turn. Had to pull the radiator to tap out sheared bolts. Then found the fan clutch leaking oil. Now that has to be ordered and put in. Finally got her buttoned up and crank her up yesterday... But wait..... Now we hear a new exhaust leak. Pull her back in and sure nuff, we got a rubber hose on top of the engine that look like it started melting and had a hole. Sooooo ordered part yesterday, should be in tomorrow. My question.... How the Hoo doo does a fan shroud shear off all the bolts? Cummins sure doesn't seem to know.
Mel I feel your pain! My Jenny only has 32K on here and I've replaced the water pump, now all this. I know these Moho's are expensive to maintain but this is ridiculous! I don't skimp on routine maintenance but geesh!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #42294

At thirty paces !!!! And we be seein who be cappin who ya old goat roper .... Dem der is fightin words !!!!