Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #42323

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezman View Post
May want to practice my drive by squirting.....
being a quasi self respecting mutant; I ain't gunna touch this line with a ten foot pole even if I could find one that tall.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #42324

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mel... one other meaningless thought on your situation. 6 months may sound like a long time but it goes very quickly when you have a goal and journey to plan and work toward. You have spent your entire life - as most of us do - working toward retirement and you second childhood. You are worth the investment. And, as you can tell by my posts re Bow, I think he is too. I'm not wrong about you, but could be about Bow. The next six months will tell - but if you have arrived at maintenance mode, you may find your time line reverts to original estimate. We are all pulling for you.

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1439656595505.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	103413  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #42325

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The RVM Welcome Sign is out...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439657600016.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	103414  
Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #42326
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCRUDE View Post
Wayne, bearded Santa is don of course. He hasn't shaved or trimmed since GCCL redux
Must be an adventure every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I can't believe he's let himself go like that!
Now Tim, which came first the kettle or the pot, and just what color was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
One of the mgrs at Freightliner said the oil pan is near where they (mechanic at Cummins) were working on the fuel pump. At least I think that's what he said. It will be highly unlikely that we can get either tow company to own up to causing the damage, although first tow guy didn't disconnect the drive shaft since he was only towing it 8 miles or so. Second tow guy did disconnect it for the 20+ drive to Cummins in Amarillo. But Cummins mgr told Freightliner that the guy who towed it to them is a shady character and nobody in Amarillo trusts him.

Oil leak has to be Cummins fault. It had never leaked a drop prior to them having it. And oil on ground under Bow at rv storage spot hasn't been there for months. It has been since I brought it back from Cummins 3 & 1/2 weeks ago. Freightliner guy is talking with Cummins rep, and I wish I knew if they were truly being honest or if they are just covering for each other.

Kate wants to sell Bow, but I'm thinking we should work a few months longer next year and build the savings back up and hang on to her for a while after she's fixed to see if the major problems are taken care of. If we have savings built back up in a year and a half, maybe we can take off then.
If the mechanics around the area are stating that someone is "shady" it needs to be reported to Good Sam. Problems encountered at any facility need to be reported to the appropriate management or BB. There are also places on this and other forums for reporting bad service.

Hang in there, retirement will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Picture it. Sicily, 1928.

Been watching too many episodes of the Golden Girls... I meant - Picture it - Bryce Canyon, Utah - 2015 - the stage is set - mutants are moving and it's a beautiful day for a Curiosity.
Where did you get my tail!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Herb, makes ya want to park your moho in some beautiful spot and never move it! You know we feel your pain, my friend. I guess there are no guarantees of trouble-free RVing even with a new or newer coach. At Freightliner yesterday I watched them pull a 2013 coach into a bay. Mgr pointed to it and said, "The owner paid $1.1 million for it." And there it was, in the shop.
When we were having our "moment of one repair" in Oregon a few years ago, there were 21 service bays at Guarantee RV. Every day they were full and the waiting lot was full. There was every type of manufactured RV, including Prevost and down to the low Citrus. No one is immune to repairs. If one thinks that a boat is a hole in the water to pour money into, then an RV is a hole in the road that one pours money into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
That's exactly what I do! The dash air in my Beaver is intermittent and I just don't even try to use it. Even when it works, the heat in the coach on a hot day doesn't even get quelched with the dash air. I run the front A/C unit on the genny and all is good. Sometimes I even have to shut it off cause we're cold!

Here's the latest for me.

Just left on day one of holidays, noticed my right front Jack wasn't fully retracted. I cycled the leveling system again to see if it would retract and blew a seal in the Jack. A pool of hydraulic fluid surrounded my front tire. So much for using my jacks on our holiday! Hope all my booked sites are level. Good thing I brought blocking with me! What a pain in the A$$ though. That should be good for another $1,000 bill!
First on the jacks. Welcome to the club. I have had jack problems since 2010 on a continuing basis. Why Winnebago went to Kwikee and did not keep the HWH line for two years is a shame. But HWH has has a few problems also.

My dash AC worked great the first couple years, then started blown 80˚ temps out of the vents. I have had it worked on, then worked on, then worked on and each time it works for a little while so we have also learned to fire up the Genny going down the road and let the basement AC cools us.

Nature of the beast.

=====================

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #42327

Meanwhile, in St Andrews,

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439659650.338412.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	103422

Sue is flying a rainbow.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439659712.465345.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	103424

And a shop called the Bottle Shop sells some very strange brews

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439659811.900927.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	103425

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439659839.346025.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	103426

As most of you should know, St Andrews is the birth place of golf. Here we are by the 9th hole tee.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439659979.953910.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	103427

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439660005.966841.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	103428

Finally, a picture of the town seen from the West Sands.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439660135.338951.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	103429

We move down to Northumberland tomorrow for another week.

Have fun in Bryce and commiserations to those having technical problems.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #42328

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, the boys weren't in the shop, but Bob spoke with them, and they will look again Monday AM, there was something about wires they think they can get squared away.
Not holding my breath... but if we get off later, we may stop at Kanab Utah and fly Wednesday PM rather than driving the rest of the way. It's about an hour and a half from Bryce. If someone wants to meet us there for a ride. He thinks it would be scenic. If we do that, we would stay at a campground within a couple miles of the airport there.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #42329

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess what... it's raining!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #42330

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Guess what... it's raining!
Picture or it didn't happen...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439670574343.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	103441  
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #42331

Pouring at Bryce ..... lol ...... Gotta be because of Flagship !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #42332

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
4 Mutants in a row...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439671660817.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	103443  
Old 08-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #42333
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Mel, thought of the lyrics to this song when I heard of your troubles. Makes my heart hurt to hear of the anxiety you are going through.

I'm feeling a little like that tonight too. Got a call from the shop, Honey was done, but there were more problems. Seemed like they put a new compressor on, but said something about the cold air not getting to the cab. Needed to take the dash apart to clean something, they didn't have the time before we left. Brought it home, and son says, well, it's not turning or running or something. Gonna let Hubby take care of it tomorrow. We'll either have dash AC or not on our trip. Not a thing I can do about it... might decide to sleep days and drive nights though....if no AC.

About the time I brought the Honey home from the shop, I walked into the house to horrible squeaking that was fast turning into screeching... seems the blower on the Stick and brick A/C gave up the ghost. The store my son can get the part at discount due to his education at the Community College in HVAC is closed on the weekend. Glad we have an attic fan and it is cool enough tonight to sleep comfortable. Tomorrow heat may be another story. Good thing I picked up some last minute Critter care jobs before we left! They will pay for the S&B AC troubles...Labor is room and board for my son and his wife.... Honey is another thing... sigh. Should have put her in the shop a few weeks ago for her work, I think.
Marty, thanks so much for the song and the sentiment. That song is perfect. Hope Honey's troubles are all over and done with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezman View Post
What a fantastic day......

Took Papa Steves suggestion visted Colorado Memorial this am... very nice.
Traveled a few hundred miles, stopped for the night at a Walmart only to find a couple more traveling mutant MH's.
Finish a bottle of Patron tequila yum...
Good night all feeling fine.
Look out we are getting close.....
Hmmmmm ..... Patron.... Believe it's time to run over to Spec's. Good tequila makes everything all better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
Hey Mel,

I know it can be frustrating, I know it can seem insurmountable, but at this point it may cost you more to sell him than to keep him. If we ever get a chance to meet I can tell you what it cost us to get started. We had many many repair hurdles to get over, but I swear it does get better, and just so you know my coach is 15 years old.

Cheers!!!
You are SOOOO right about frustrating .... and seemingly insurmountable. I've noticed that your coach is also a 2000 model. It's nice to know that there are coaches as old as ours on the road that are running well and giving good service still. I hope and pray Bow is one of those. But, we're still undecided at this point about sticking with her. I know we won't do anything anytime soon. I'm having the first of 2 knee replacements in Sept. So, any decisions about Bow will be on hold until after the first of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Mel, you seem to have fixed many things, spending huge sums of money. Why spend $2000 for easy A/C when you have good overheads and a Genny. It actually uses no more fuel to run the Genny than to turn on the dash unit. The added benefit is the overhead units cool better.
I've thought about that ... using the overhead ACs to cool the coach while driving down the road. And the fact is that our plan has us in cooler parts of the country in the summer time and warmer parts during winter time. Quite possible we won't ever need the dash air again. However, the mgr at Freightliner did offer me a very good deal to patch and braise the condenser. May take him up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
The only thing that I can add from afar (meaning ... I ain't there) in reference to motor home problems and specifically Diesel engines is ... it pays to be VERY familiar with the beasts. How they operate and the accessories too. Does not mean you ever need to actually dismantle an engine yourself, but knowledge is power.

Mel ... you seem to be emerging from this scrap with the right attitude. Wait and make the big decisions after the dust has settled.
I am so ignorant of things to do with motors and engines. The only thing I know to do is have the required maintenance done on schedule. Which, I will ALWAYS do with all our vehicles, including our big diesel diva, Bow. We love so many things about her, but are still trying to decide about keeping her and pouring more money into her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
That's exactly what I do! The dash air in my Beaver is intermittent and I just don't even try to use it. Even when it works, the heat in the coach on a hot day doesn't even get quelched with the dash air. I run the front A/C unit on the genny and all is good. Sometimes I even have to shut it off cause we're cold!

Here's the latest for me.

Just left on day one of holidays, noticed my right front Jack wasn't fully retracted. I cycled the leveling system again to see if it would retract and blew a seal in the Jack. A pool of hydraulic fluid surrounded my front tire. So much for using my jacks on our holiday! Hope all my booked sites are level. Good thing I brought blocking with me! What a pain in the A$$ though. That should be good for another $1,000 bill!
Good grief, Les, you're just like us ... if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all! People like us should NEVER go to Vegas .... unless we go with Annie and give her a stack of $20s to play for us.

Finally, thanks to everyone else for the encouragement and empathy. There is a lot that RVers have in common ... love for the outdoors and nature, love of traveling, being free-spirits, not wanting to be tied down to one place, etc. ... and spending our kids' inheritance on our beloved RVs.

How I wish we were at Bryce. Love all y'all!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #42334

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Something tells me it's all happening...
https://youtu.be/-0uO5RKI-S8
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439673109549.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	103444   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439673125609.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	103445  

Old 08-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #42335

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Mel... does Eds chair look familiar...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439674218219.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	103448  
Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #42336

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey Marty... Sheba is wondering when Bess will be here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1439679425825.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	103456