Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #43807
MPH

Why do the little smiley faces change to question marks when I post from my fruit phone?
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #43808
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Not to drastically alter the flow of the chatter, but does anyone recall this?

Probably like everyone else, I associate mental images with sights, sounds, even aroma ... all in a mixed replay when I hear a song from the past.

For me, this one was playing on the radio station in Saigon, called AFVN (Armed Forces Viet Nam). It was on AM broadcast frequency, and I would always dial in AFVN on the NDB (non directional beacon receiver) so "the needle" would be a guide to point to the known transmitter tower location as one of the ways we managed to not get lost out there over the jungle.

On an otherwise routine flight one early morning, we got a frantic radio call about some River Patrol boat that was under heavy fire from the shoreline on the Mekong River. The radioed position was nearly under us, so we dropped down to skim low level up the river. The thought was to help the river boat with some suppressive fire into the shoreline. We saw the smoke puffs both from the River boat and the shoreline. By that time we were in radio contact with the boat. The guys in the boat agreed to stop firing when we made a fast run close to the shore. The rapid staccato sound of our gunfire, the pounding of the rotor blades as we did a steep turn, AND ... that song being played in our headsets all happened at once.

So ... when I hear "Hooked on a Feeling" by BJ Thomas, I can feel the vibration of that powerful Chinook helicopter in my hands, along with the intercom chatter from the crew, and other radios. The visual aspect was water spouts as the bullets smacked into the muddy shoreline. Even the adrenaline rush is revisited !!

A while back, I watched a DVD of Guardians of the Galaxy, not knowing that Hooked on a Feeling would be the theme song. Upon hearing it, I was pacing the floor with an adrenalin fueled flashback.

Well so much for my interlude of sights, sounds, and flashbacks to add to this day's chatter.
Made my eyes fill reading your story.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #43809

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Steve, we would love to visit in Montrose but we are back home in Texas. Our brother-in-law passed away last month so we had to come home early. If we were still in Gunnison we would love to come over and visit.
ginny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #43810

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny47 View Post
Steve, we would love to visit in Montrose but we are back home in Texas. Our brother-in-law passed away last month so we had to come home early. If we were still in Gunnison we would love to come over and visit.
I was just thinking since you know the way, you might come back.

Hope things are settelIng down for you.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #43811

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Morning Don, hope your ears aren't ringing! We mini-c ed with Jim and Ginny last night and they were saying they had a great time in Memphis with you two! In fact we covered most of the Rumble at the Cape crew!
Two memorable get togethers!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #43812

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
👏👏👏 (and 4:00 was getting there. Getting up was ... even more unbelievable!)

I'll pass your greetings on, shall I? 😙 😇 Hi Barb and Sena and Lily from Dave, and me too!

Cheers!
Howdy back at ya! Hey Sue -- where are you and Martin spending this winter? Joining the massive mutant invasion of AZ, maybe?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #43813

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
The silent one says to tell y'all that she has fond memories of the GC 2.0 at CL and looks forward to seeing everyone sometime. 😎

Me, too, and am looking forward to seeing Kate again. (I won't let the cat get my tongue next time, promise!)
Old 09-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #43814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Not to drastically alter the flow of the chatter, but does anyone recall this?

Probably like everyone else, I associate mental images with sights, sounds, even aroma ... all in a mixed replay when I hear a song from the past.

For me, this one was playing on the radio station in Saigon, called AFVN (Armed Forces Viet Nam). It was on AM broadcast frequency, and I would always dial in AFVN on the NDB (non directional beacon receiver) so "the needle" would be a guide to point to the known transmitter tower location as one of the ways we managed to not get lost out there over the jungle.

On an otherwise routine flight one early morning, we got a frantic radio call about some River Patrol boat that was under heavy fire from the shoreline on the Mekong River. The radioed position was nearly under us, so we dropped down to skim low level up the river. The thought was to help the river boat with some suppressive fire into the shoreline. We saw the smoke puffs both from the River boat and the shoreline. By that time we were in radio contact with the boat. The guys in the boat agreed to stop firing when we made a fast run close to the shore. The rapid staccato sound of our gunfire, the pounding of the rotor blades as we did a steep turn, AND ... that song being played in our headsets all happened at once.

So ... when I hear "Hooked on a Feeling" by BJ Thomas, I can feel the vibration of that powerful Chinook helicopter in my hands, along with the intercom chatter from the crew, and other radios. The visual aspect was water spouts as the bullets smacked into the muddy shoreline. Even the adrenaline rush is revisited !!

A while back, I watched a DVD of Guardians of the Galaxy, not knowing that Hooked on a Feeling would be the theme song. Upon hearing it, I was pacing the floor with an adrenalin fueled flashback.

Well so much for my interlude of sights, sounds, and flashbacks to add to this day's chatter.

Agreed that this is powerful stuff.

While I was totally removed from the war, except for news footage, a date wanted us to see a movie about it, so we did. I still can't listen to the music from it w/o seeing the closing shots of choppers taking guys out while leaving someone behind, and feeling the emotions that movie set up.

If it affects me so, I can only begin to imagine what it must be like for you and for other vets. Your description brings it as close as it could probably get.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #43815

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Howdy back at ya! Hey Sue -- where are you and Martin spending this winter? Joining the massive mutant invasion of AZ, maybe?

That's the plan, or part of it anyhoo. What fun!

I don't really want to spend the whole winter in one spot again, though. A month here and there might suit us better and allow these mutant genes to flourish. We'll be laying plans soon!

BTW, have you seen "Night at the Museum"? One of the featured characters is a male capuchin. He's very good in the part, but I kept thinking "Sena!" I'd recommend the movie for light entertainment and a bit of slapstick. Mutants don't mind a bit of silliness, do they?!!

Cheers!
Old 09-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #43816

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If any Mutants make their way to/through Pahrump this coming winter please be sure to let me know.
sam60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #43817

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspinz View Post
BTW, have you seen "Night at the Museum"? One of the featured characters is a male capuchin. He's very good in the part, but I kept thinking "Sena!" I'd recommend the movie for light entertainment and a bit of slapstick. Mutants don't mind a bit of silliness, do they?!!

Cheers!
That monkey is actually a female named Crystal. She has done most of the monkey parts in TV and movies in the last 10-12 years. She has an outstanding trainer who knows how to bring out all of a capuchin's natural talents. There are some hysterical videos on YouTube. Just search for Crystal the monkey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_the_Monkey

And woot woot about y'all in AZ this winter. Maybe we can find a lake to go yaking together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #43818

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
If any Mutants make their way to/through Pahrump this coming winter please be sure to let me know.
I have a dear friend in Henderson, NV that I promised to visit next month on our way to AZ. I'm betting we could arrange a mini-C.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #43819

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
That monkey is actually a female named Crystal. She has done most of the monkey parts in TV and movies in the last 10-12 years. She has an outstanding trainer who knows how to bring out all of a capuchin's natural talents. There are some hysterical videos on YouTube. Just search for Crystal the monkey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_the_Monkey

And woot woot about y'all in AZ this winter. Maybe we can find a lake to go yaking together.

Thanks for all that, Barb. I shoulda known you'd know! I kept wondering if Dexter was actually played by a female, as often happens. I didn't realize there was a trilogy, and of course what I saw was the 3rd one. It did well as a stand-alone, though.

Bringing the yak and planning to look for suitable water. It'll be great to have a yakking buddy ... maybe more than one, even! Woot!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #43820

Hi Everyone, RVM111 checking in for a moment.
We are headed to the County Coach rally in Watkins Glen NY in a couple of weeks - are any RVM members going to be there - I have the beer and wine!
Second question - The dreamer (Mrs Fiscal Controller) says we are heading to Alaska for the summer starting in late May from Oregon. Is anyone from the group heading that way. If not how about suggestions or comments on what to expect or look out for. Thanks,
Glen and Barb Burgess
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote