Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #15

Pepper?? I for sure not take a chance on making that motor sneeze. Just saying. Good luck. Radiator shop only permanent fix. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #16

Careful with anything added as a the chemistry of the antifreeze is different now.

If it holds pressure it is not leaking.

Check level with a stick so you have a benchmark then apply pressure with a tester and leave it.

If pressure is stable great but check level against stick after being under pressure to see.

Also twist or try to twist every hose you can find and operate all of the heater controls.

You may have had a large air bubble in a high point that burped out.

Ours requires opening a bleeder valve to get air out of one overhead pipe
Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay on the additives I will take her for a run 20 miles stop take a look, I would think that everything should be @ the operation temp by then for a Gasser.
Thanks,Tim
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year and Safe travels
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Pepper DOES stop radiator leaks. ALL my contact trucks in the Military carries a 1lb can of pepper just for that use. If it was a bigger leak they'd use pliers to crimp the tube as closed as possible and then dump a hand full of pepper in it, run it for an hour to seal it up.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #19

No one said it didn't work. But what all is in that coolant system? Oil cooler ever get clogged? Cylinder sleeves? Too many other places it may "stop the leak" also.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes pepper does work. It was often used in the racing circuit years ago but then racers usually rebuilt everything between races anyway but it did help to get them through the race.

Many year experience with this stuff. I have used most every product out there and yes some of them work for awhile but in this situation don't try it. Get a good new Radiator. You've got an older MH. Don't try to cut corners with something like this. It will probably come back to haunt you down the road.

Some losses of coolant are from external leaks but some are from internal head gasket leaks or cylinder head or block cracks. These small cracks will open and close as temperatures change. If you have an internal leak they can be diagnosed with dyes and special lights. I'd want to make sure that I didn't have one of these problems. Changing the radiator won't top the internal leaks. You'll have to find a decent shop that can diagnose these kinds of internal leaks.

We don't see as many radiator fix-it shops anymore because of the use of plastic and aluminum radiators employed to save weight.

My 40 years experience working on all kinds of vehicles is, " If it is from a can and supposed to fix something it won't work for very long if at all." Don't waste your $$$$ and time using band-aids to fix this problem.

TeJay
Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #21

I used the stuff as an emergency stop gap once many years ago, but seeing as how it stopped the leak, I decided to see how far I could go before a repeat occurrence.

When I got rid of the car some years later, it was still holding. That's all I know!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, radiator