Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

We like our RM, but like anything it's not perfect. We have had both a Garmin and now the RM. We like all the additional information the RM gives us, for instance the name of the road as well as the highway number. There are many different setting on the RM that you have to make sure you have right, fastest route or the shortest route, what to avoid, bridge heights etc., but once you enter all your information, the RM will get you there.

jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've had ours for a couple of years now and I'm generally happy with it. You do need to keep the software updated, as with any unit, and as I've said before, you can't turn your brain off when you turn the GPS on, I don't care what brand it is. They all have their quirks and the logarithms used in the programing have their limits.

One example, last week we took the short trip from our SC base up to Cherokee NC. The GPS always wants to take us in on highway 19. The campground we stay at is on 19, about 5 miles north of Cherokee, but there are sections of narrow switchbacks that are best experienced in the toad, not 63' of motorhome and toad. Just east of, and running almost parallel to 19 is the "Smokey Mountain Expressway", or highway 74. It is 4 lanes, scenic, but it does ad about 10 miles to the distance. I suspect the GPS translates this into more time too as they can't account for the time spent well under the posted speed limit negotiating the twistys, not to mention having to drive through towns.

When we bought our Rand McNally it was pretty much the only GPS advertised as RV specific. Since then there are competitors like the Garmin mentioned earlier. I have no direct experience with the competition but I can tell you, I'm in no hurry to replace the RM unit.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You won't find a better RV GPS than the Garmin RV760-LMT

It's one of Garmin's best so far!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using my RM 7710 for close to two years now. I keep it updated with the latest software which is normally available three or four times a year. Yes it is slow to boot up but for me that is not an issue or concern. I like the large screen and information available on it. I can find campgrounds along my route and I can then plan on where we will be staying for that night while traveling. I would buy it again or its newer model the 7720.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #19

We have the Rand-McNally RNVD 7720 works good for me.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
I have been using my RM 7710 for close to two years now. I keep it updated with the latest software which is normally available three or four times a year. Yes it is slow to boot up but for me that is not an issue or concern. I like the large screen and information available on it. I can find campgrounds along my route and I can then plan on where we will be staying for that night while traveling. I would buy it again or its newer model the 7720.

X2
18000 miles and so glad to have it showing the way. We use the atlas as a back up, but RM has been spot on!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Being able to quickly and incredibly easy to find fuel or campgrounds along your route or near a city is amazing. Yes it can steer you wrong and you should always cross check your route with another source if you are heading to places unknown.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #22

I purchased it all I can say is not worth it at all all the stories you hear about heading down dead end roads low clearance are true total waste of money use gps on your phone or ipad
Old 06-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjenkins93 View Post
We are considering buying the Rand McNally GPS but with such a hefty price tag, I was wondering if anyone out there has one and their thoughts on this product. I think it would be great when traveling through mountainous areas and just good to have when traveling in our 40' motorhome with tow vehicle. We also do a lot of cross country traveling.
Mine is built in the dash and works very well. I like the RV tools, such as keeping track of fuel consumption and NOT routing me to places that could be a problem with sharp turns, overweight, low clearance etc. Garmin, Tomtom, and Magellan also have RV GPS units now. The Rand McNally is NOT too expensive for what it does. It does a better job of finding RV parks than Woodalls (Now Good Sam) does.

It works far better than the GPS built in my VW Passat. I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one for the Passat.

Be sure to update the maps over the internet.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #24

We have the 7720 also and once you set it up to display the way you want it to it is great. It has many options and some great features with the latest software update. A GPS is like clothes and everyone likes a different style. If you have used garmin before I say stick with garmin as this 7720 will drive you crazy but if this is your first GPS you will like it.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
CW latest mailer shows the RVND 7725 on sale for $279.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
We upgraded our gramin to the Garmin RV760-LMT. I like the bigger screen. We did look at the RM model but read complaints about the screen washing out in bright sunlight. The 760 has met all my needs and hasn't directed me to odd places.......yet....
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #27

As anyone will tell you no GPS is perfect. I have owned a RM 7720 for two years (17,000 miles) and updated it regularly. The RM 7720 is feature rich and you should take the time to read the manual and carefully set it up to your specific rig. I can also tell you I have tried to second guess it a couple of times, bad move on my part! It works for me, will not leave site without it.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #28

I did a side by side comparison of the RM and Garmin RV GPS's.

As other's have said no GPS is perfect but the RM outshone the Garmin in just about every category from ease of use, to superior routing (most of the time), to large POI files, to ability to track fuel mileage and export info to spreadsheets, etc etc.

The Garmin was returned and we have never looked back.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps