Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Rand McNally $350 RV GPS Review

We are considering buying the Rand McNally GPS but with such a hefty price tag, I was wondering if anyone out there has one and their thoughts on this product. I think it would be great when traveling through mountainous areas and just good to have when traveling in our 40' motorhome with tow vehicle. We also do a lot of cross country traveling.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

I have a RV7710 and I like it. It takes my RV's size into consideration when planning routes. Keeps me away from tricky areas. If your like the RM GPSs they also make one with a 5" screen which is a little cheaper.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

We are not happy with ours. It takes forever, and I mean forever, to boot up. After we told the thing 1k times that we have a 36 footer MH, it still manages to route us through areas we shouldn't be. I don't know how many times DW had to use her iPhone's GPS to double check a route.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Thanks y'all! Sounds confusing and I'm not sold yet. Was reading reviews on their iPad APP and decided that's not the route I want to go!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had our original RM for over three years. Works great only one situation but a no hassle one. It is important to update the current data on a regular basis as all GPS devices need this. RM is a no charge update. The ability to add your profile is a tremendous option.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at the Garmin RV760LMT. Takes into consideration your weight and dimensions to plan your trip and also has a car mode so you can easily move it to the toad when you land. I have used one since the became available and would not change.

Dennis
Old 06-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I started with the 7710 and now have the 7720. I like that when planning a route, it gives you two choices. That was an update last year and has made a world of difference.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 7710. It is, by far, the worst GPS ever. It has routed us down roads that would have been fun to drive in the 240Z my wife owned many years ago. Aldo dead ends, and narrow city streets. We finally gave up on it on our last trip home from visiting our daughter in Boise. For the fastest route it wanted us to get off I-84 in Pendleton Oregon and drive up through the Blue Mountains through Walla Walla. I would have been crazy to take that route plus it would have taken hours longer than going through the Tri-Cities and up 395. When I changed the route to freeway it wanted us to drive WA 26 from the Tri-Cities to Vantage to pick up I-90 instead of taking 395 to Ritzville and picking up I-90 there. That route would have taken us 165 miles out of our way. The 7710 is headed for the dumpster. Never had that problem with a Garmin.
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

I've followed several of the gps threads and got a good idea of the really bad situations. I then went to Best Buy and tried out my top three choices. Granted, without gps signal, I was limited to the on board demo but could operate each of the menus and try different functions. My particular interest was with the RV applications.

My choice was the Garmin RV760...purchased it through Amazon, cheapest price, no tax, and free two day shipping.

Test drove it on a known route with actual profile. Edited the profile on the return by increasing the width of the vehicle two feet. Worked very well. Seven inch screen is a must have for me!

Good luck on your investment.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've looked for an iPhone RV routing app but I have not been able to find one yet.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #11

I have seen a lot of posts from people who say their RM GPS took them in areas they should not have been, or through small streets. A common mistake with this unit is that it is designed for RVs and Cars, and there are two different setting. If you have it in car mode, it can take you down an alley of two.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My wife and I have had no problems with our 7710. I regularly check for updates and keep the unit current. I like the ability it has to inform us of traffic speed changes in construction zones. Being we live on the left coast it is great knowing of steep hills, sharp corners or whatever other hazard the thing tells us about.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #13

We have the Rand-McNally RNVD 7720 - not be confused with the 7710. We love it. End of report.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A vote for RM 7720. No GPS is perfect, but we are pleased with the 7720.

Tags
gps