Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #127

I don't think a lack of courtesy is limited to drivers these days, it's society-wide.

If you say hello to someone they look at you like you belong in an institution. Forget about chatting to a friendly child at the next table in a restaurant, you're likely to get a dirty look, or worse, from the parents.

Sometime back I was about to enter the bank I deal with, as I approached the door a lady dressed in a business suit, phone stuck to her ear was also. I stopped at the door and held it open for her. Did I get a thank you, or even a smile and nod? No.

She pulled the phone from her ear, looked me in the eye and in a very sarcastic tone curtly stated "I am capable you know!"

If not for the automated closer thing, I'd have slammed it shut in her face and let her open it for herself!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #128

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I don't think a lack of courtesy is limited to drivers these days, it's society-wide.

If you say hello to someone they look at you like you belong in an institution. Forget about chatting to a friendly child at the next table in a restaurant, you're likely to get a dirty look, or worse, from the parents.

Sometime back I was about to enter the bank I deal with, as I approached the door a lady dressed in a business suit, phone stuck to her ear was also. I stopped at the door and held it open for her. Did I get a thank you, or even a smile and nod? No.

She pulled the phone from her ear, looked me in the eye and in a very sarcastic tone curtly stated "I am capable you know!"

If not for the automated closer thing, I'd have slammed it shut in her face and let her open it for herself!!
Most ladies around here are thankful, and even surprised, when I hold a door for them. The one who wasnt and acted just like your lady, got the door shut in her face on the way out.. coffee looks good on wool jackets

Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #129

Forest River Owners Club
Thumbs up Truck courtesy

I have a sign in my back window on my RV that says ' MY FAMILY DRIVES TRUCKS ( 4 AT ONE TIME NOW ONLY 2) BE COURTES TO ALL TRUCK DRIVERS". I usually ge a wave from passing drivers and always flash lights to let them in especially if some car is pushing him. Almost always get a thank you. I will even slow down and let him come over if he needs to pass another truck. It is a pain for then to have to downshift and lose their speed then try to get 80,000 lbs back up to speed.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
...most in this thread feel they have the right to challenge a merging truck...
I think that is a gross mis-statement. I have not heard anyone say they would challenge a merging truck, that would be silly. We have attempted to correct the mis-statement that a MERGING TRUCK HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY, nothing more. In fact I have said that I do yield to merging traffic when possible; car or truck.

The reason I have tried to stress that the main flow of traffic has the right-of-way is because I have seen many drivers that don't appear to know that.

I have experienced many "car" drivers race down the on-ramp at a speed faster that I am travelling, and then continue to move into my lane (way before the end of the merge lane0, the continue to move to the middle lane, or onto the far left lane. BTW, that is not considered merging...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, I'm NOT going to read all 9 pages of this thread. All I know is, the law says the vehicle merging on the highway DOES NOT have the right of way. I also know that every interstate that I have ever driven has these little yellow signs that have an arrow and and a curved line. These signs are to warn freeway traffic that there are vehicles merging on to the highway.

I think it might be better to replace them with signs that say "WARNING, VEHICLES MERGING ON THE HIGHWAY, USE YOUR HEAD AND MOVE OVER IF YOU CAN".

That being said, I find most truckers and RV drivers are very courteous.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
those little yellow signs are usually posted on the on-ramp warning merging drivers to yield right of way.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #133

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
I think that is a gross mis-statement. I have not heard anyone say they would challenge a merging truck, that would be silly. We have attempted to correct the mis-statement that a MERGING TRUCK HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY, nothing more. In fact I have said that I do yield to merging traffic when possible; car or truck.

The reason I have tried to stress that the main flow of traffic has the right-of-way is because I have seen many drivers that don't appear to know that.

I have experienced many "car" drivers race down the on-ramp at a speed faster that I am travelling, and then continue to move into my lane (way before the end of the merge lane0, the continue to move to the middle lane, or onto the far left lane. BTW, that is not considered merging...
I agree with Romeo. I have seldom, if ever, seen truckers as the problem when merging. The problem I see repeatedly is CAR drivers who don't seem to know that they are supposed to yield when merging. That should mean either speeding up considerably to get in ahead if I am pulling the rig in the right lane, or slowing down and getting in behind me. If I can move over to the left lane when I see someone coming up the merge ramp, I will. But the issue I was trying to point out is that many times I CANNOT! Either there is a someone in the left lane next to me, or someone coming up in that lane fast enough that it would not be safe for me to amble over in front of them.
If I had a nickle..... for every time a car comes speeding up the merge lane--apparently blissfully unaware--only to get to me, where I am in the right lane with no where to go, and then they have to hit their brakes or plow into the side of my 55 feet of rig. And then they flip me off! LOL
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #134

Good to know that the rule is universally applicable right across the USA

and Australia
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk05 View Post
I have a sign in my back window on my RV that says ' MY FAMILY DRIVES TRUCKS ( 4 AT ONE TIME NOW ONLY 2) BE COURTES TO ALL TRUCK DRIVERS". I usually ge a wave from passing drivers and always flash lights to let them in especially if some car is pushing him. Almost always get a thank you. I will even slow down and let him come over if he needs to pass another truck. It is a pain for then to have to downshift and lose their speed then try to get 80,000 lbs back up to speed.
I'll say THANKYOU !! without even reading the other responses...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I guess it's safe to say that a good majority of today's drivers apparently were trained on Grand Theft Auto or some other video game. At least that's how I see them by their driving habits. I'm just waiting to see some of them hit hookers with baseball bats and drag people out of their cars.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #137

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

No kidding! I'd have done the same!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
A lot of you have seen the "Truckers have no manners" thread. After a 150 posts, the post seems--as par-- to wander a bit. But, it did and does bring up something that I find interesting. When I was very young, (the 50's) my father and I camped in the California deserts/mountains almost every weekend in his 1957 F-100 StyleSide with a color matching camper shell. He taught me the basic courtesies of the road. One of these was to flash your high beam when a trucker passed you and he was clear to swing back into your lane, day & night. I recall that just about all the truckers responded with a flash of their own when they returned to lane as a kinda "thank you" salute. I still "flash" but it seems most truckers today don't care. My question to the truckers out there--and there seems to be many--is this still a courtesy they want from a RVer? Maybe technology has made this a thing of the past. Don't know. I hope not. Curious...
I wouldn't say signalling is a courtesy I "want" per se, but I usually appreciate the gesture with one caveat... Its better to flash the lights on and off rather than high beam low beam. There are two reasons. First like is that its MUCH more noticeable and less likely to be confused for the vehicles bouncing effect. Or a motorcycles fluctuating headlight. The second... Those brights actually hurt the truckers eyes if its at night. A lot of the time, ill go to check my mirror, and end up staring directly into em when they flash. The effect is a little painful and leaves a short "dazzled" effect which can be dangerous. (truckers do it too so don't feel bad).
Bout the courtesy topic in general... There IS a trend towards drivers being unprofessional. With the economy, more people are going into trucking because its the only way to feed their family... And instead of enjoying the job and lifestyle, they're resentful and angry.
there's a trucking forum called truckersreport.com with a section for "questions from the general public" with valuable information. RV'ers are usually more well informed than regular motorists... But even so, most people have no idea what's going on from the truck drivers perspective.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #139

Newmar Owners Club
As I mentioned before, there is no need to flash or signal a truck when driving on a multiple lane highway. They have plenty of room and time to move past a vehicle that they are overtaking. The need is when they are passing on a two lane highway and may need to move back into the right lane to clear the on-coming traffic lane.

So if a vehicle "flashes" when on a multiple lane highway and doesn't get a return flash from the truck, it's probably because it wasn't necessary.

And... there is no need to use your headlights to signal a passing vehicle if you have an ICC light switch; that's what it's for; that's what the trucks use to signal.

I have one, which I believe most Newmar coaches have, and I use it to signal when on a two lane highway.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So if a vehicle "flashes" when on a multiple lane highway and doesn't get a return flash from the truck, it's probably because it wasn't necessary.
It would be rare not to get a thank you from a truck driver for flashing a lane change. The number one reason that you would not get a return flash is because the trucker did not see the flash. If the trucker is not looking into the right mirror the flash does not always come into peripheral view.