Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I Love Truckers!!!!

Folks,

I have had wonderful relationships with truckers on the roads...Yes many truckers have not reciprocated the flashy lights when we are on the road...but I put them down to a younger generation and maybe they are anaware of of the old courtesies...

Years ago when I was a youngster, my Mom was traveling cross-country with us 4 kids and 2 dogs to relocate after a nasty divorce. We had a flat tire and a very kind trucker stopped and helped us by changing our tire. He accepted our Mom's offer of a picnic lunch and showed my young brothers his rig and let them crawl around and even beep the loud air-horn. It was a very kind act on his part to a very hurting family. I was about 12 years old at that time and he told me that he was often reading a book as he drove down the road. When I expressed my shock, he demonstrated his abilities to hold his book on the wheel and to drive at the same time....While I do not approve of his methods, I can understand his motives and I really appreciate his kindness. Maybe, we can cut the truckers a break....when they can flash the lights...they do so. I have been the recipient of a friendly light flash and on a lonely night...I love it.....

Now lets talk about something more important...!!!! ANd give the truckers the thumbs up that they deserve...!!!!

Faith

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I always appreciate the thank you flash too. It lets me know my courtesy lights are working and also lets the truckers know we are not novices driving to slow just obeying the speed limits. I know that drives some truckers bonkers but towing a vehicle over the speed limit and getting a ticket is just not worth it. I can enjoy the view and never worry about the safety device in the rear view mirror looking like a gumball machine that hit the jackpot.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Folks,

I have had wonderful relationships with truckers on the roads...Yes many truckers have not reciprocated the flashy lights when we are on the road...but I put them down to a younger generation and maybe they are anaware of of the old courtesies...

Years ago when I was a youngster, my Mom was traveling cross-country with us 4 kids and 2 dogs to relocate after a nasty divorce. We had a flat tire and a very kind trucker stopped and helped us by changing our tire. He accepted our Mom's offer of a picnic lunch and showed my young brothers his rig and let them crawl around and even beep the loud air-horn. It was a very kind act on his part to a very hurting family. I was about 12 years old at that time and he told me that he was often reading a book as he drove down the road. When I expressed my shock, he demonstrated his abilities to hold his book on the wheel and to drive at the same time....While I do not approve of his methods, I can understand his motives and I really appreciate his kindness. Maybe, we can cut the truckers a break....when they can flash the lights...they do so. I have been the recipient of a friendly light flash and on a lonely night...I love it.....

Now lets talk about something more important...!!!! ANd give the truckers the thumbs up that they deserve...!!!!

Faith
Nice story Faith.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have found that the vast majority of the truckers are great and very good at what they do. They fully understand the needs and difficulities of handling large rigs. ( TRuck or RV ) On the other hand I have seen some truely foolish moves done by idiots in cars cutting off trucks or RV's that weight 10 times more than their little car. In case of an accident we would just roll over them!
Dan
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
I have found that the vast majority of the truckers are great and very good at what they do. They fully understand the needs and difficulities of handling large rigs. ( TRuck or RV ) On the other hand I have seen some truely foolish moves done by idiots in cars cutting off trucks or RV's that weight 10 times more than their little car. In case of an accident we would just roll over them!
Dan
Dan, you are, no doubt, a veteran observer of the old New England exit from the 3rd lane maneuver.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Dan, you are, no doubt, a veteran observer of the old New England exit from the 3rd lane maneuver.
Observer....yes you could say that. I had a front row seat two weeks ago as the stupid SOB ( Not Some Other Brand either!) moves from behind me in the right hand lane, passes me and the car in the center lane, JUST TO CUT IN FRONT OF HIM AND ME TO TAKE THE SAME EXIT AS ME! ( Yes my blinker as on. ) Of course he has to hit thew brakes to make sure he didn't over shoot the exit or go into it too fast. After all THAT WOULD BE DANGEROUS!

Dan
Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #35

I have been driving for almost 55 years, and driving RV's for about 30 years. I have found that most truck drivers reflect my driving habits. If I am driving like a jerk, I find that most truckers around me are driving in the same manner.
However, if I drive in a courteous manner the truckers are driving in the same way.
In fact that seems to be the way the whole human race behaves. When I am a jerk, everyone else is a jerk, but when I am a decent human, other are the same.
Our behaviour is reflected back to us everyday in every way. Always extend a hand of brotherhood, and it will be returned!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
In my quick reading to this thread I didn't see where it was mentioned that people were talking about "flashing" on a two lane road or on both two lane and freeways. I too learned to flash back in the '50s, but that was because we were driving on two lane roads where passing was often done with limited visibility of the road ahead. We now have many passing lanes on two way roads and multiple lanes on freeways.

I see no need to flash in passing lane sections or on freeways; however I will still flash on a two lane road where the passing vehicle has a short stretch in which to pass.

I have an ICC switch on the dash which will flash the running lights. I use the ICC switch to signal trucks.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
I am a trucker and now a RVer, I blink (on-off not high low) and flash clearence lights to say tks.... but I don't think it is a comeover signal but a you SHOULD clear me and come over when you are at a safe distance...

I think it is like scooting over the fog line, (white line) to help give the passer a better view, here in TX. If it is safe. I do it in a big truck when I want them to pass in a safe place and I have a better view.

My 2 bits
Old 08-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #38

Recently I have observed truckers driving with no manners, and also I have seen truckers driving with manners. Likewise, I have observed many, many auto drivers running totally without manners, and some auto drivers who observe proper driving manners.
My conclusions is the percentage of truckers driving with no manners is only equal to the number of auto drivers without manners!
NO Difference between truckers and auto drivers.
Perhaps a few more truckers with good driving manners?
I AM NOT a trucker, and do not even know a trucker!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Today I was taking my Rv for service at a local dealership and I was keeping to the inside lane doing about 60 MPH. The other lanes were passing me as if I were standing still. Suddenly, I huge truck tried to enter the highway from an entrance ramp, I could not move over to the left because I was boxed in and this jerk came up on my blind spot and tried to force me over into an impossible situation. I had to stand on the brakes to avoid a collision and then I saw the 800 # on his rear end..."How am I driving???...blah, blah, blah..." I called his home office and identified the truck, but the dispatcher said that all of their trucks needed to keep on a rigid schedule and that I should have allowed this idiot to have right of way. Since when do trucks entering the highway get preference over any of us already on the road????

So frustrated!!!!

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #40
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Today I was taking my Rv for service at a local dealership and I was keeping to the inside lane doing about 60 MPH. The other lanes were passing me as if I were standing still. Suddenly, I huge truck tried to enter the highway from an entrance ramp, I could not move over to the left because I was boxed in and this jerk came up on my blind spot and tried to force me over into an impossible situation. I had to stand on the brakes to avoid a collision and then I saw the 800 # on his rear end..."How am I driving???...blah, blah, blah..." I called his home office and identified the truck, but the dispatcher said that all of their trucks needed to keep on a rigid schedule and that I should have allowed this idiot to have right of way. Since when do trucks entering the highway get preference over any of us already on the road????

So frustrated!!!!

Faith
I wonder how much it would have changed his schedule if he had hit you while failing to yeald right away?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blew a tire on I40, and a trucker stopped to change it for us. Forty or fifty in cars and RVs passed us without stopping to see if we needed help. Dont lump all drivers into one basket.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #42

fansill, Well, we all have our own opinion but I have never seen a huge truck appear suddenly - seems to me they are very visible, especially on an on ramp. You were there, I wasn't, but with the speeds I drive I most often slow down and let them in. Maybe I'm overly polite and often don't pass a truck on an up grade because I know he'll need to pass me on the down side of that hill. Back when I lived on a boat we often used the phrase "rule of tonnage" - That's where you may be really right & legal in holding the position but that don't mean you can't get run over. That would ruin a good day. Just my opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote