Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
fansill, Well, we all have our own opinion but I have never seen a huge truck appear suddenly - seems to me they are very visible, especially on an on ramp. You were there, I wasn't, but with the speeds I drive I most often slow down and let them in. Maybe I'm overly polite and often don't pass a truck on an up grade because I know he'll need to pass me on the down side of that hill. Back when I lived on a boat we often used the phrase "rule of tonnage" - That's where you may be really right & legal in holding the position but that don't mean you can't get run over. That would ruin a good day. Just my opinion.
Safe Travels
Bob
I agree, something about that "tale" just doesn't float. In all my years of driving I've yet to see such. The truck would not take on such a liability.
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I am in some what heavy traffic, even on a 4 lane highway I will flash a truck to let him know he is clear to pull back into the lane ahead of me, so he is not holding up the cars and pickups driving over the speed limit in the other lanes. Reason for this is I have seen too many cars and trucks cut off 18 wheelers and Motorhomes as if they could stop on a dime.

As for merging traffic, cars and pickups had better adjust their speed to slip in safely ahead or behind me, I will not yield my right of way to them. But a truck is another story and I will move over a lane if possible or slow down to let them merge as the merge lanes in way too many areas are not long enough to allow them to get up to traffic speed. Trucks may be more powerful and faster today, but just like they can not stop on a dime, they also can not accelerate like a car or pickup.

And last but not least, Truckers are "WORKING" and I am relaxing, so give them the benefit of doubt and let them get on with their job in as smooth a manner as possible.

No I am not and have never been a Trucker, but I have a lot of family members who are.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #45

I don't flash my lights to let a trucker know it's okay to pull back in in front of me because they always pull back in too soon as it is. Invariably, they pull in real close and I then have the choice to either follow more closely than I want until they eventually pull away, or slow down to make the space.

They're comfortable driving real close to each other, and I'm not. It's pretty much impossible to maintain a truly safe stopping distance these days, but I don't think that means I should welcome trucks pulling in 15 feet in front of me. The longer they wait to pull back in, the better.

That said, I will flash my lights to let a merging large vehicle (truck or RV) know that I'm letting him in in front of me. In that case, there's a limited distance for the maneuver, and the more information he has, the better.

If I'm in the RV and there's any traffic at all, I no longer pull over into the next lane to let merging traffic in because I've been left hanging out there too many times when the merging vehicle starts pacing me, making it impossible for me to get back over. Big blockage of cars cursing that idiot RVer in the left lane (i.e., me, all the while thinking "I was just trying to be helpful!"), or pulling up behind the vehicle on the right making it even MORE impossible for me to get back over.

So I stay in the right lane and slow down for merging big rigs if necessary, and keep my hand poised on the horn when it's a car driver on the phone.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #46

I hate to say this, but people who drive cars have no manner either.......I see to often a car will cut in on a tractor trailer when it is so tight......but when I am driving my motorhome people have the same mentality. I have had a couple of close calls...cars coming onto the on ramp, trying to get ahead of you because they don't want to be behind you.
So I guess when the title of this thread saids truckers have no manners, It goes both ways
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Twice in the last month I've had semis change lanes right in front of me without warning or signaling, like they were driving sportscars. Whatever happened to PROFESSIONAL drivers? These idiots were acting like they were driving Miatas or something. One even had the audacity to honk his horn at me when I wouldn't move over (I couldn't!). I've about had it with these jerks.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Today I was taking my Rv for service at a local dealership and I was keeping to the inside lane doing about 60 MPH. The other lanes were passing me as if I were standing still. Suddenly, I huge truck tried to enter the highway from an entrance ramp, I could not move over to the left because I was boxed in and this jerk came up on my blind spot and tried to force me over into an impossible situation. I had to stand on the brakes to avoid a collision and then I saw the 800 # on his rear end..."How am I driving???...blah, blah, blah..." I called his home office and identified the truck, but the dispatcher said that all of their trucks needed to keep on a rigid schedule and that I should have allowed this idiot to have right of way. Since when do trucks entering the highway get preference over any of us already on the road????

So frustrated!!!!
Maybe a nice big honkin' lawsuit when some idiot trucker rolls over a car will made the companies think about their "rigid schedules".

Faith
Maybe a nice big honkin' lawsuit when some idiot trucker rolls over a car will made the companies think twice about their "rigid schedules".
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Twice in the last month I've had semis change lanes right in front of me without warning or signaling, like they were driving sportscars. Whatever happened to PROFESSIONAL drivers? These idiots were acting like they were driving Miatas or something. One even had the audacity to honk his horn at me when I wouldn't move over (I couldn't!). I've about had it with these jerks.
It's a different breed of "professional" driver today then 30 years ago when I was doing it. Today the trucking industry is infested with ex-cons and deadbeat dads that just don't give a @#$&. The best thing you can do is to copy the name and number of the trucking outfit and report the driver. The trailer number is usually displayed somewhere along the back of the unit along with a phone number. a cellphone photo of the rig and offense couldn't hurt either.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Since when do trucks entering the highway get preference over any of us already on the road????
You were in the wrong not the trucker. You must either change lanes or adjust your speed for a merging truck because I guarantee you that the truck is not going to hit his brakes at the end of the merge lane. He is gaining as much speed as he can as a courtesy to you so that you wont have to slow down to much.

Flashing of the lights is a nice courtesy that truckers appreciate. It is not something that truckers depend on to make a lane change, just a nice > the lane is all yours and I'm comfortable with you moving in front of me now thing. If you don't get a thank you flash back don't think less of the trucker as he most likely was not looking when you flashed. I am a trucker and of course Rver.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You were in the wrong not the trucker. You must either change lanes or adjust your speed for a merging truck because I guarantee you that the truck is not going to hit his brakes at the end of the merge lane. He is gaining as much speed as he can as a courtesy to you so that you wont have to slow down to much.

Flashing of the lights is a nice courtesy that truckers appreciate. It is not something that truckers depend on to make a lane change, just a nice > the lane is all yours and I'm comfortable with you moving in front of me now thing. If you don't get a thank you flash back don't think less of the trucker as he most likely was not looking when you flashed. I am a trucker and of course Rver.

Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #52
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I am betting we are seeing a lot idiots that drive cars like idiots are also driving the trucks. It seems a lot of people seem to believe that they have the rightaway coming down an onramp. They are required to yeild. What happened to the PROFESSIONAL drivers? They have retired and are now driving RVs.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You were in the wrong not the trucker. You must either change lanes or adjust your speed for a merging truck...
I beg to differ with you... I was taught, and believe it is the law (or was in Oregon) that the merging traffic must yield to the main traffic and move into traffic safely... the traffic on the main highway has the right-of-way.

Let's say both freeway lanes have vehicles travelling at 70 mph side by side, a vehicle merging onto the freeway at 70 mph... which vehicle would be required to brake (reduce speed) to avoid a collision?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
I got into the habit of looking at the (merger) to see if they are looking in the mirror or the lane or into "space" . That tells me if I should hit the horn or what. I am shocked at the # of drivers who don't look till they are running out of ramp and looking at the side of a large rig ,MH ,or 5er.
GoldenCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
...I am shocked at the # of drivers who don't look till they are running out of ramp and looking at the side of a large rig ,MH ,or 5er.
Why should the look; they think THEY have the right-of-way (as do some on this thread), and they would rather be dead-right than safe-and-alive...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf7 View Post
Observer....yes you could say that. I had a front row seat two weeks ago as the stupid SOB ( Not Some Other Brand either!) moves from behind me in the right hand lane, passes me and the car in the center lane, JUST TO CUT IN FRONT OF HIM AND ME TO TAKE THE SAME EXIT AS ME! ( Yes my blinker as on. ) Of course he has to hit thew brakes to make sure he didn't over shoot the exit or go into it too fast. After all THAT WOULD BE DANGEROUS!

Dan
Dan last year on the way back from Illinois to Arizona we had a Big rig in front of us and another along side of us trying to pass and some fool in a small ford truck passing us on the right shoulder. I told my DH Look out this guy is going to cause a big Accident. We had to slow down just so he could Pass.............Go Figure I hate on ramps because some get on as slow as a Turtle and you have to hit your breaks to let them on and others fly in like you are not even there. Big Motorhome with Toad??? Can't you see Us
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote