Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
I am betting we are seeing a lot idiots that drive cars like idiots are also driving the trucks. It seems a lot of people seem to believe that they have the rightaway coming down an onramp. They are required to yeild. What happened to the PROFESSIONAL drivers? They have retired and are now driving RVs.
I agree with you that idiots drive cars also. One thing that has become more common over the last 20 years or so is the morons who coast onto the highway forcing everyone to slow down, change lanes, or worse. I see this everyday.
One of the craziest things I ever heard of is that teenagers can take ONLINE Driving courses, a friend of mine's daughter just did this in California. And we wonder why there are so many idiot drivers out there?
In 1971 I was taught how to drive by our high school football coach. He was tough and I still remember the things he taught me today. One of them was to match the traffic speed when entering a freeway and YIELD as they had the right-of-way.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #58

Quote:
I beg to differ with you... I was taught, and believe it is the law (or was in Oregon) that the merging traffic must yield to the main traffic and move into traffic safely... the traffic on the main highway has the right-of-way.
I'm glad you are begging to differ here and not on the road with me. All I'm saying is that a 80 000 lb truck merging on the highway is not a force you want to play chicken with. It may be illegal for the truck to squash you like a bug but that doesn't mean it wont happen. Drive safe and keep flashing those lights.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #59

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks...

I agree,and most truckers are wonderful people, but when a rogue trucker tries to force me into a "do or die situation..." I am really angry!!! I always stay in the inside lane and I give way for everyone, whether they are a small little car or a huge truck. Really...I give way to everyone and hubby hates when I do that, but I pick my battles.... But when someone tries to force me into a dangerous situation...I get really angry! To have a trucker ride my along side of me and try to force me to brake suddenly or to swerve to accomadate them is unacceptable.....

Just my opinion......

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #60

Quote:
I still "flash" but it seems most truckers today don't care. My question to the truckers out there--and there seems to be many--is this still a courtesy they want from a RVer?
Its a nice gesture and always appreciated. I appreciate it from truckers and especially from any other vehicle.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am really sorry to see all the people attempting to bash truck drivers. I have been driving for 54 years, with who knows how many miles behind the wheel and I can not recall a single time when I had a problem with a 18 wheeler. Cars and pickup trucks, now that is a whole different story.

I feel safer driving my MH around 18 wheelers, because in most cases I am watching traffic not only several vehicles ahead of me, but also to the sides and rear and I know what a trucker will do as conditions or actions of others change.

Respect is a two way street and only a fool does not respect the professional 18 wheeler drivers.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #62

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
I am shocked at the # of drivers who don't look till they are running out of ramp and looking at the side of a large rig ,MH ,or 5er.
I also feel like this has become much more of a problem in the last number of years (perhaps it corresponds to the number of years we have been doing a lot of driving pulling the rig).

But I tend to travel in the right lane-55 or 60 mph, and let all who want to go by, do so on my left. Its a little safer for my stopping needs, a little cheaper for my fuel costs, and a little less stress inducing at the end of the day.

However, I am amazed by the number of people who seem to have never learned how to come onto a highway from the entrance ramp and do a proper merge. They are supposed to yield! But at the speed I am traveling, they can easily speed up and go ahead of me if the desire, or slow down and get in behind. Yet there are so many times that they seem to think that if they just keep driving towards the side of my truck or rig, I will mysteriously vanish into thin air. If I can reasonably do so, I will move over to the left. But many times, (virtually never in heavy traffic) this is simply not an option.

And then to top it off, when they finally realize I'm still there, there PO'd at me, because THEY don't know how to drive

Finally, from my perspective this has not been an 18 wheeler issue at all. It's nearly always a car or a pick-up. Not to say it hasn't ever happened with a big rig, but it seems for the most part they do know how to merge.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself, and I feel better already.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #63

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Please understand....

I love the truckers and understand the life.... but they also have to understand that many of us are respectful and will yield when we can...but if we cannot yield because we are boxed in....They cannot force us off the road. I have always yielded to a trucker...heck...I have always yielded to any car entering the highway from an entrance ramp,I guess I am wimp.... but I will not be forced into a situation that I need to crash my "home" to prevent a collision because a trucker cannot tap his brakes to allow me that tight of way that is granted to me by the common sense rules of the road....

I feel that many younger truck drivers do not recognize that we need to share the roads with them. They are in a hurry to get to their destination and are completly obvisious as to the rules of the road in their haste to complete their runs....

Just my opinion...

Faith (with Bob the hospital and in no hurry to get to our next destination...)
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #64

What you guys are failing to understand about big rigs is that when fully loaded after a full merge the truck is still struggling to get up to highway speeds. Tapping its brakes on the merge lane is not a safe option. Your only choice is to give the merging truck right of way. I don't ever recall having an issue with an Rver in regards to merging but cars is a different story. If you find your self fighting for asphalt at the end of a merge lane with a trucker, you only have yourself to blame. Ok my rant is over 10 4 good buddies.......
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #65

In highway traffic, you cannot speed up to let someone merge because of traffic in front of you, BUT you can slow down and make space in front of yourself to let them in. A little common sense goes a long way. It takes looking and planning a head.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #66

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the most valuable things I learned when I started driving my motor home is anticipation. Driving way up the road, planning ahead, what ever you want to call these practices. Mostly I watched truckers in congested areas and took cues from their driving habits.

You do not find many, maybe any truckers trying to merge and finish the conversation, or dial the phone or day dream at the same time.

I wish I had a nickle for every car that would not lead, follow or get out of the way when merging.

I'd buy a Newell.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
One of the most valuable things I learned when I started driving my motor home is anticipation. Driving way up the road, planning ahead, what ever you want to call these practices. Mostly I watched truckers in congested areas and took cues from their driving habits.
I follow the 5/12 second rule when driving. keep five seconds behind the vehicle in front of me, and my eyes are watching traffic 12 seconds down the road. Do that and you should be able to anticipate and avoid most problems.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #68

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gadget63

I notice your signature about looking for a toad. Make sure you give the Honda CR-V a good look. Look at consumer ratings and compare to other vehicles you might consider.

Everyones bang is a bit different but using your standard we decided on one and have been very pleased with our choice bang and buck wise.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Gadget63

I notice your signature about looking for a toad. Make sure you give the Honda CR-V a good look. Look at consumer ratings and compare to other vehicles you might consider.

Everyones bang is a bit different but using your standard we decided on one and have been very pleased with our choice bang and buck wise.
Thanks for the info, still on the fence and to be honest, I have to sell one of my cars first before buying a toad. I had my eye on the Hyundai Elantra 4 door hatchback. seems like a lot of car for the buck. Know anyone interested in a 06 BMW 320 ci convertible let me know... hehehe
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #70

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Application Charts | Remco Towing

Is the Hyundai towable 4 down or do you care? You can check at this website but it should also be verified in the owners manual.