Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Car blanch ..... glad you liked my word..... except for the spelling not bad for a trucker eh???????????

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
The right-of-way is not always posted, but known to be the vehicle on the right at a 4-way stop.

:
Not in all cases. As I recall there was a question on the written drivers license test in California years ago that went something like this.

Four vehicles all arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time. One is a Police Car, One is a Fire Truck, One is an Aid Car and the fourth is a Mail Truck.

Which one has the Right of Way?

Yeah, think about before you answer or scroll down to see what I put, which was the correct answer on the test.

Answer: The Mail Truck! Reason: Because it could be carrying information or data vital to the safety of the Nation. Granted, this was from the late 50's when I got my 1st license and communications have changed (Note I did not say improved), but I believe that law is still on the books.

Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #87
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well this might not be about truckers not having manners but with regards to freeway merging-happened a few years back driving along US 101 in LA. As usual, traffic was congested and staying in the outer lanes, had to constantly yield to merging traffic. Had just yielded to one car when another one squeeze on my lane to get in. Well, I had to brake and let her in and then, surprise, surprise, when she was in front of me and safely in the lane, she flips me the finger. Don't know if that's how they say thank you in CA.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochisme View Post
...Four vehicles all arrive at a 4 way stop at the same time. One is a Police Car, One is a Fire Truck, One is an Aid Car and the fourth is a Mail Truck... Which one has the Right of Way? :
Answer: The Mail Truck! Reason: Because it could be carrying information or data vital to the safety of the Nation...
Yeah, maybe so, but it would be 5-7 business days late...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Quiet, you don't want any one at the Post Office to hear that......
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #90

Thor Owners Club
Havent noticed that its one particular group of folks.....the rude ones come in all shapes, sizes and yes....colors..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #91

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Havent noticed that its one particular group of folks.....the rude ones come in all shapes, sizes and yes....colors..
x2.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #92

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Amen, by the time it got there the crisis would be over!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #93

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You were in the wrong not the trucker. You must either change lanes or adjust your speed for a merging truck because I guarantee you that the truck is not going to hit his brakes at the end of the merge lane. He is gaining as much speed as he can as a courtesy to you so that you wont have to slow down to much.
In WA EVERY on ramp has an implicit "YIELD" sign at it's end, The sign isn't there but you still must yield to mainline traffic. So, if the entering vehicle (truck, motorhome, car, motorcycle, etc) causes an accident guess whose insurance gets dinged? In fact if mainline traffic has to tap the brakes it's an illegal merge and, if seen by an officer, will get you a ticket for failure to yield right of way.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #94

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_28602
I work as a drivers license examiner who does commercial vehicle testing. I have been on at least 100 road tests in tractor trailers and can tell you that everyone I have tested appreciates someone who flashes their lights or slows down to let them merge into traffic.

I personally think that all drivers should have to take a ride in a large vehicle prior to getting their license so they can see what these guys/gals go through out on the road.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I don't remember ever seeing a yield sign on a freeway on-ramp. Have you ever seen a yield sign on the freeway when approaching an on-ramp?
When was the last time you saw a yield sign an a 4-way stop...? The right-of-way is not always posted, but known to be the vehicle on the right at a 4-way stop.:
Now that we have been talking about it, I have become more aware of yield signs on on-ramps. Here on the I-90 freeway that runs through Spokane, we have a few on-ramps that are short and do not have a "speed-up" lane so they have yield signs (BTW they are red bordered yield signs, not the yellow yield signs). The on-ramps that have a normal speed-up lane do not have yield signs. However, as stated, the lack of a yield sign does not mean one does not have to yield.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Monacoach
You were in the wrong not the trucker. You must either change lanes or adjust your speed for a merging truck because I guarantee you that the truck is not going to hit his brakes at the end of the merge lane. He is gaining as much speed as he can as a courtesy to you so that you wont have to slow down to much.

Sounds like a driver the post is titled after.
I have been a truck driver for over 25 years and I have never thought that a vehicle in the main lanes has to give me the right of way when I am merging onto the freeway(would be nice if they did). Me as the proffesional driver always have to adjust speed to enter traffic in a safe manner.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #97

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_28602 View Post
I work as a drivers license examiner who does commercial vehicle testing. I have been on at least 100 road tests in tractor trailers and can tell you that everyone I have tested appreciates someone who flashes their lights or slows down to let them merge into traffic.

I personally think that all drivers should have to take a ride in a large vehicle prior to getting their license so they can see what these guys/gals go through out on the road.
OK, but you did not comment on the freeway on-ramp right-of-way issue. As a license examiner you should be able to state the law on right-of-way, at least in your State.

BTW, as I have stated, I always yield to merging traffic by moving to the left, or if necessary slowing a bit. This is a matter of courtesy and common sense not a matter of law, or who has the right-of-way.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #98
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_28602 View Post

I agree with Jeff 100%. Most truck drivers (I am talking about merging now) are trying to merge as safely as possible. Occasionly you will run intio jerk but not usually while merging. The ones that get to me are the cars that run up along side (probably trying to pass on the right) and run out of lane and EXPECT you to get out of the way. I have had his happen when there was 100yds. of space behind me.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote