Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #99

Truck drivers

Hello.
I am a truck driver myself. Not one with diesel in the blood as we say in Europe but hey, it pays the bills. Originally from Germany and with all the laws in Europe, it is difficult to say: "Truckers have no manners.." Why? Think about this. Here in North America your uncle can show you how to drive. Driver school needed? No. In Germany you need for every little vehicle with a gas engine a licence and you get it - right - after you joint a driver school and pass the road test. For every licence you need also a written test and a First Aid training. Think about this. I made my first licence for a "bicycle with gas engine" when I was 15 of age. 1. First aid training. 2. Signing up for driver school and got trained there for 10 hours before the written test. Made the written test and 3. driving training and later road test. All again for every licence I got.

Than I moved to Canada. Driver school before written test? Why - was always the question. Go and try it. If you pass - wonderful!
OK. I tried and passed the first time. (OK. My English wasn't the best so I had to guess what they are asking about the "landing gears". -> Do I make the pilot licence or the trucker licence??? )

Road test - Go and try it! OK I passed the first time - and this in December 2005 at -32 degrees Celsius outside - frozen windows and so on.

After that - I am good to go an the North-american HWY's - right?
Europe - you use your right signal light to signal that someone can pass you. I did that a couple of days - until someone on a truck stop was mad at me. "Idiot - the road was clear and you won't let me pass!......."

Oh yeah. You guys are using the left one to show someone that he can pass. I figured that out!

With all that said. Maybe next time if you think the trucker has bad manners - think twice. It could be a one of the "imported" drivers like me who has to figure out what is going on here.

One example and from some here also wrong known ->merge.
All on the main road have the right of way and MUST NOT change the lane for someone who like to merge - until it is save to do so. The merging vehicle MUST yield the main traffic and - if he can't get safely in the traffic - he must stop and obey the law. The rules are the same here in North America. A lot drivers think the traffic MUST make space so they can merge - and this is wrong. (Salt Lake City/Utah - race track mergers ->merging without looking left or right - that's what I like with driving a big vehicle!)

Using the lights to signal a save merging? We in Germany are not allowed to have CB radios. Flashing the lights is a "MUST DO" and shows good manners. Still here in North America I flash the lights - SEMI, RV - I don't care. And I say "Thank YOU" with using my signal lights.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
If some driver in the right lane ignores the merging truck you cant expect the truck to stop. You guys can debate who has the right of way until you are blue in the face but rest assure that an 80,000 lb chugging up the merge lane will be entering the highway. So now the person in the car after sending a text from his lap so no one can see, has a truck beside him coming up to the end of his merge lane. What is he to do hmmmmmmm...... stand firm maybe send another text because the good people in IRV2 said he has right of way? or get of the way and allow the truck to enter the freeway? You guys are advocating an unsafe situation based on your belief that you have right of way. Well guess what.... you do not have right of way if it puts other vehicles in harm..... common sense at some point must kick in...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
If some driver in the right lane ignores the merging truck you cant expect the truck to stop. You guys can debate who has the right of way until you are blue in the face but rest assure that an 80,000 lb chugging up the merge lane will be entering the highway. So now the person in the car after sending a text from his lap so no one can see, has a truck beside him coming up to the end of his merge lane. What is he to do hmmmmmmm...... stand firm maybe send another text because the good people in IRV2 said he has right of way? or get of the way and allow the truck to enter the freeway? You guys are advocating an unsafe situation based on your belief that you have right of way. Well guess what.... you do not have right of way if it puts other vehicles in harm..... common sense at some point must kick in...
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I do believe that if "some driver in the right lane" has an opportunity to move over then, by all means, he should. But just because a vehicle, whether he weighs 80,000 pounds or 4000 pounds is chugging up the merge lane that does not give him the right of way to run over someone.
I have been a truck driver for over 25 years and it has been and always will be my responsibility to operate my truck in a safe and professional manner, no matter how stupid someone else on the highway acts.
The vehicle on the highway does have the right of way and it is up to the vehicle entering the highway, whether he is 80,000 pounds or 4000 pounds to be sure that no other vehicle is put in harms way.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's called "Defensive Driving", a little known term these days.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #104

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
I do believe that if "some driver in the right lane" has an opportunity to move over then, by all means, he should. But just because a vehicle, whether he weighs 80,000 pounds or 4000 pounds is chugging up the merge lane that does not give him the right of way to run over someone.
I have been a truck driver for over 25 years and it has been and always will be my responsibility to operate my truck in a safe and professional manner, no matter how stupid someone else on the highway acts.
The vehicle on the highway does have the right of way and it is up to the vehicle entering the highway, whether he is 80,000 pounds or 4000 pounds to be sure that no other vehicle is put in harms way.
People seem to forget that little fact that vehicles entering a highway must yield right of way to traffic. I summonsed people all the time for that.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
It's called "Defensive Driving", a little known term these days.
But it seems that most people have figured out OFFENSIVE driving!

Ken
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
To you officers on board here, is it the law that traffic must yield right of way to j walking pedestrians?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
To you officers on board here, is it the law that traffic must yield right of way to j walking pedestrians?
I am not a LEO, but I do know that in some areas of the Country a "Pedestrian" will always have the "Right of Way" even if they are breaking the law by J-Walking..

I play it safe and always give the "Pedestrain" the right of way, but that has been ingrained into me by growing up in California and living in Washington.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If some driver in the right lane ignores the merging truck you cant expect the truck to stop. You guys can debate who has the right of way until you are blue in the face but rest assure that an 80,000 lb chugging up the merge lane will be entering the highway....the good people in IRV2 said he has right of way? ... You guys are advocating an unsafe situation based on your belief that you have right of way. Well guess what.... you do not have right of way if it puts other vehicles in harm..... common sense at some point must kick in...
Quote:
Well if the "j-walker" is crossing the merge lane, I guess he's doesn't have the right-of-way and is a dead duck.

I'm not a officer, but have played one when I was a kid...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well if the "j-walker" is crossing the merge lane, I guess he's doesn't have the right-of-way and is a dead duck
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #110

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Whether legal or not, a vehicle should give the j-walker a wide berth as the alternative is hanging around waiting for the police and emergency services to arrive to figure out who was right and who is scraping the j-walker from the bumper of the 18,000 pound vehicle.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #111

Newmar Owners Club
While we are waiting for a legally based answer, I will offer this: I have seen (read) were local pedestrians have been hit while crossing the street between crosswalks and the driver was not cited.

I imagine it has a lot to do with local laws, but I always give a pedestrian the right of way, for selfish interests...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #112

I'd suspect that the jay walking laws will vary state to state and sometimes city to city.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote