Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Re:Truckers have no manners

A lot of you have seen the "Truckers have no manners" thread. After a 150 posts, the post seems--as par-- to wander a bit. But, it did and does bring up something that I find interesting. When I was very young, (the 50's) my father and I camped in the California deserts/mountains almost every weekend in his 1957 F-100 StyleSide with a color matching camper shell. He taught me the basic courtesies of the road. One of these was to flash your high beam when a trucker passed you and he was clear to swing back into your lane, day & night. I recall that just about all the truckers responded with a flash of their own when they returned to lane as a kinda "thank you" salute. I still "flash" but it seems most truckers today don't care. My question to the truckers out there--and there seems to be many--is this still a courtesy they want from a RVer? Maybe technology has made this a thing of the past. Don't know. I hope not. Curious...
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

even though some of truckers dont respond i still do it as a courtesy to them if i get a response thats great if not maybe he had more important things to do
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I must say that I still blink lights at them when they pass but I too get very few "thank you" from the truckers (even in my car I blink lights). That said I also see that they did stop and help my parents when their MH broke down on the road. It might be that with the new relaxed rules bringing in out of country drivers in to the USA that they do not even know what all the blinking lights are about.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some blink some do not;I do not care, I still blink. My courtesy is not based on someones elses acceptance.

I find most motorist and truckers to be mindful of good road manners and the special situations for large vehicles. Rarely do I put on my turn blinker to change lanes that it is not honored, particularly in heavy congested areas etc. I behave in the same manner.

There are a minority of exceptions, major exceptions to the above and they are terribly irksome to say the least. For instance how is it so many peple in California, the freeway capital of the world, do not know what a merge lane is for? Still they are a minority of the whole of drivers.

But that minority is why my gas rig has a very nasty loud air horn, seldom used; for the not so special few of all stripes that make themselves a menace.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just did a trip from Vancouver Island Can. down to Las Vegas. I dont think I have ever noticed truckers or for that fact RVers in Canada (at least in B.C.) since I was a kid, ever flash there lights for other passing rigs. As soon as we got off the ferrie in Wasinton the fist MO I passed with my truck and 5ver gave me the flashing lights to let me know it was safe to come back in. I thought that that was shuch a good idea I imediatly picked up the habit of flashing my lights for other RVers and Truckers. I noticed about 80% of the truckers but less fellow RVers would extend the courtesy. I always did my best to flash my thanks.

I think the technology and the amount of trafic on the road make it a bit dificult to always extend the courtesy of a thankyou. As for the amount of trafic I would rather share the road with ten times the number of trucks then with half the cars out there. With so many little cars ziping around you on the hi-way like you are just another obstical for them, you have to be paying so attention not only for driving your own rig but 100% attention for all the stunt drivers out there.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The reason most truckers don't blink their lights to tell you it's safe to pull back in is because of liabilaty reasons. If they were to blink their lights to tell you it is safe and you crash, they would probably get sued by some people. It is a shame our society has gotten so suit happy. Having lawyers advertising on tv does not help, imho. The name of the game is CYA, unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
CD

Below is from post #61 of Truckers have no Manners.
I don't know how true it is but will take it at face value.

There are at least two good reasons why your well intended but probably misguided "courtesy" wasn't returned. Reason number 1 is today's drivers are taught to not flash lights except for legal and acceptable practices. The reason is liability issues. ie., Truck A flashes Truck B to pull back in from left lane. Meanwhile Car C slips in front of Truck A from the right and gets sideswiped by Truck B's trailer. End result is that Car C files a lawsuit against Truck B who then blames Truck A, who was just trying to be courteous. Reason number 2 would concern your "SmartWheel" which, if it's anything like mine, will flash the high beams right in the trucker's mirrors (never a good thing), unless, of course you are using headlight on/of switch which would be the proper way to do it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

As a truck driver I agree do not flash your hi beams at night the peterbilt I driver has a button on the end of the turn signal switch to blink the clearance lights and if you push down on the turn signal switch I flashes the head lights so it takes no effort to be curtious
jhamihvfd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of presumptions in all these legalities, however true they may be.

I do not flash to tell a trucker it is ok to turn back in; I flash to tell them they are past my front. Whenever a lane change is made it is up to the person making the change to decided if it is safe. I'm sure a good lawyer can make hash of this but liability has been seperated from fact for a long time.

Regardless of all the flashing going on (I got the bird flashed this trip) basic courtesy is supreme regardless of what is done with your lights or fingers. Actions speak louder than flashers.

I notice many trucks moving to to second lane to allow others to merge, cars as well. I do the same. Many move to the far outside on hill climbs to allow others to pass w/o slowing down. On the other hand I have had a few trucks try to take the front off my rig, but not as many as motor cycles who love to brave the dreaded swerve into my path. If they are trying to frighten me; it works. But these are exceptions and quite foolish.

I don't mind the lack of acknowledgement as long as the behavior around me is civil.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Liability Issues? Really? Does anyone have any specifics on this? Such as company memos, firsthand knowledge, copy of company policy?
I can't believe this country has gone so far down the tubes that we've let "liability" trump common courtesy.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I flash my lights (both car and RV) and get a response about 50% of the time.

If I am in heavy traffic and a truck wants to change lanes I will slow down to make a hole for him to get in front of me and get a thank you 90% of the time.

I have also had many truckers do the same for me when I am driving the RV, Flash their lights or give me a break to change lanes when in traffic. And I always say thank you.

My MH has a switch on the left shelf next to the mirror buttons specifically for the purpose of flashing the running lights.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #12

The trucks of the 50's were vastly underpowered, and it was often vital for the driver to get back in the appropriate land and kept his/her eye in the rear view mirror, and a flash from the passed vehicle was an aid to the driver.

Todays trucks are so powerful, and fast that it's safer to just glance into the rear view mirror to affirm their thought that they are already sufficiently past the other vehicle to move back into the lane, and probably will miss a passenger car's, and or RV'ers flashing of the lights, and give the old response.

They more than likely miss a fellow truckers flash, but toggle their tail lights out of respect to a fellow trucker.

The same basic forces come into use if the conversation about truckers flashing their tail lights for you to safely pass if you are behind them on a hill. That went by the wayside a long time ago as cars have so much horsepower that passing on a two lane road is no big deal, as apposed to a 1940 ford coupe!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
The trucks of the 50's were vastly underpowered, and it was often vital for the driver to get back in the appropriate land and kept his/her eye in the rear view mirror, and a flash from the passed vehicle was an aid to the driver.

Todays trucks are so powerful, and fast that it's safer to just glance into the rear view mirror to affirm their thought that they are already sufficiently past the other vehicle to move back into the lane, and probably will miss a passenger car's, and or RV'ers flashing of the lights, and give the old response.

They more than likely miss a fellow truckers flash, but toggle their tail lights out of respect to a fellow trucker.

The same basic forces come into use if the conversation about truckers flashing their tail lights for you to safely pass if you are behind them on a hill. That went by the wayside a long time ago as cars have so much horsepower that passing on a two lane road is no big deal, as apposed to a 1940 ford coupe!

Ed
How times change. I remember the old days.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Liability Issues? Really? Does anyone have any specifics on this? Such as company memos, firsthand knowledge, copy of company policy?
I can't believe this country has gone so far down the tubes that we've let "liability" trump common courtesy.
When it comes to liability issues I have no specifics, I'm not aware of any cases (Save one where a trucker trying to pass the dishonorable poke-a-longus attorney at law, got sued for half a million for "Endangerment" even though he was driving in a very safe manner and there never was any endangerment, This was in Ohio many years ago).

However I also see adds for law firms suing nearly every drug company on earth over the dangers of this or that product.

I would not be surprised to see some dog bite firm take up a case such as described in this thread.

By the way. There really is a law firm called Dog Bites R Us.