Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just received 2 more of Vince Flynn's novels and 2 new Joseph Wambaugh from Amazon.con. Looking for ward to reading all of them. Now have a backlog of about 20 books, unfortunately I buy faster than I read.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #58

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by wthomas1:
Just received 2 more of Vince Flynn's novels and 2 new Joseph Wambaugh from Amazon.con. Looking for ward to reading all of them. Now have a backlog of about 20 books, unfortunately I buy faster than I read.
Oh, me too. The TBR pile is my security blanket.

Two new Wambaugh's? I know of Hollywood Crows; what's the other one?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #59

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by TXiceman:
It should be there now...

Ken
Yes, it is and thank you very much.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hollywood Station, new at least to me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #61

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by wthomas1:
Hollywood Station, new at least to me.
Thanks; I'll look for it.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #62

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
the new electronic book readers popping up these days .....
... I looked at Sony's version a month ago and its type is book-like, not like a computer's screen, but I didn't really get to see if its easy to use or not.
Today I skimmed thru some specs on the 'kindle' unit .... very interesting !

It uses cellphone type technology which means you can download books from almost anywhere you are. You don't have to be connected to a computer or at one of those 'hotspots' like a Starbucks. Anywhere it will download books.
And the list of books was in the plural of 100,000's.+

The books from the bestseller lists seemed easy enough to get pricewise ... about 9 or 10 bucks.
The viewing features are good. The size is good.

I was a paperboy 40 years ago (or so) so I am old school and sure hate to see newspapers going away these days. And I always figured similarly I'd be the last guy in the world to ever quit holding a good old fashioned dusty book in my hand .... but these new fangled systems are pretty interesting.
I'm not ready for the leap yet, but I am now at least openminded.

( me happily reading a dusty ol' book ---> )
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
FatDog, I understand what you're saying and I think electronic stuff is definitely the wave of the future.

BUT, at the moment I don't want something that is another power drain. And I don't want to pay $10 for a bestseller (which I usually don't read anyhow).

And I can't see how comfortable one of these readers would be in bed on my side, using one hand, which is how I read paperbacks before sleep.

I think I'll just be a fuddy-duddy for a while as far as books are concerned. However, I do need to go learn my new GPS unit. TTFN
Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #64

Excel Owners Club
Revelation
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #65

Larry has a Kindle on order for me for Valentines day so I should receive it after the 24th, I will let you know if I like it which no doubt I will. I love to read and have all of Stephen King's, Mary Higgens Clark, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton, Nicholas Sparks, most of James Patterson, some of Debbie Macomber's, I have read most of Sidney Sheldons, some of Dorothy Garlock and now I am reading Nora Roberts. We have alot of books! The Kindle is what I need as it stores over 1,500 books
pug_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #66

Solo Rvers Club
I've read reports about electronic paper and ink where the "paper" looks and feel like regular paper but can receive ink-looking digital text. So I'm going to wait until they start making paperback-size book-like things with that paper. That way, I can have the ease of the traditional book style and the efficiency of the digital age. I hope I don't die before they get this working.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #67

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
MovableBookLady ... I am now intrigued by this whole digital book thing, although I sure do relish 'occasionally' falling asleep on the sofa with an ol' paperbook lovingly cradled in my arms,
and ,
Pug_Lady .. please let us know about your new Kindle. I think you might be our first real expert o them after you receive yours. I also have ALMOST all of King's books although I have now switched back to non-fiction again.
and ... i have 2 pugs whom I love dearly, along with an English bulldog. My house at night sounds like a snoring Army barracks after a long weekend of leave.

later book readers !
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #68

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the Wambaugh lead.

Here's a new electronic reader for future consideration. http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by DonavonP:

Here's a new electronic reader for future consideration. http://www.plasticlogic.com/product.html
Very interesting. They're obviously targeting the business/academic market -- the size is 8-1/2 x 11 inches, not a size I want to try to handle when reading in bed.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally posted by MovableBookLady:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:

Very interesting. They're obviously targeting the business/academic market -- the size is 8-1/2 x 11 inches, not a size I want to try to handle when reading in bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The print may be large enough that way to be able to read it without my glasses. It being letter paper sized is not that big if the weight is kept down. A medium sized 200 page paperback is roughly 7 1/2 X 10 1/2 inches when opened so this would only be between 5% to 10% larger. I just grabbed the closest paperback on the shelf in the medium size range and measured it.

They are not very open about the price though asking that you get on their mailing list so they can send it to you or wait for when they announce it so I read that as most likely more than I want to spend.