Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #85

Safer

I just finished reading and thoroughly enjoying "Safer" by Sean Doolittle. I passed it along to my wife who also couldn't put it down. If you enjoy a good mystery, written with a nice first person narration, I highly recommend "Safer". The author has a few other published works which I intend to check out asap.

Another good, unique work of fiction is "One Second After Midnight" (I think that's it, as I loaned it out), the plot is very conceivable (the effects on life after an EMP blast) and was recently noted as a top pick on several fiction lists.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #86

I just finished One Second After. It was scary to understand that our country could be destroyed with only 3 nuclear weapons exploded in the upper atmosphere. The after the appocolyspe theme is a favorite of mine ever since I read Alas Bablyon by Pat Frank when I was a kid. I am currently reading Patriot which is also of that theme but is written for the extreme right wing, I would not recommend it as a form of entertainment as the character development is minimal if non existent. The book is a how to guide in the form of a novel for the hard core survivalist.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #87

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RoadRunner View Post
Atlas Shrugged was the last book I finished, and it's my favorite. It really is relevant today.
I just ordered a copy from Amazon. Can hardly wait to get it.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I just ordered a copy from Amazon. Can hardly wait to get it.
Who is John Galt?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #89

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of Atlas Shrugged? I find it listed in philosophy sections and am afraid to get into something very dense. I tried to get through The Prince but just couldn't understand the literal translation from Italian.

Denis
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #90

With the exception of one character's VERY long speach toward the end, it is not a dense, philosophical book. The philosophy is ingrained in a very interesting plot.

The main character is Dagny Taggart. She essentially runs a railroad, Taggart Transcontinental.

I say essentially because, as a woman, she can't be the real boss, but she's the only one who knows what she's doing. She and her brother inherited the railroad. Her brother is in the ol' boys network of fools who think they know how to make money.

She tries to expand the business and keeps getting thwarted. She is very good at finding solutions, but just when she needs someone, they seem to disappear. The disappearing is very important to the plot.

There's a love triangle (quadrangle?) subplot where Dagny tries to find her true love. There are even love scenes in the book.

I don't want to give away too much. I thought it would be a philosophy book, too, but the plot is what drives the book.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #91

I mostly read non-fiction history books but, in the last year, I've read the First Man in Rome serie by Colleen Mccullough. Best serie I know about the daily life in Rome during the Republic.
I also read almost all of Sharon Kay Penman books. Her books are set in England during the Middle Ages. Again very entertaining and very accurate in the historic details.

When I read ebooks, I use a program called Stanza that runs on my Ipod Touch. At first I was concerned about the size of the screen but I found out it wasn't a problem. The added bonus is that you can carry it with you all the time. So if you are in a waiting room or in line somewhere you can read your favorite books.

Ray
Old 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
I havent read all the posts here .. Just finished In Harms Way and Blind Mans Bluff ... Both excellent reads ..

Am just about finished with Glenn Beck's Common Sense , and about to start Dick Morris' Catastrophe
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #93

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammr' View Post
I havent read all the posts here .. Just finished In Harms Way and Blind Mans Bluff ... Both excellent reads ..

Am just about finished with Glenn Beck's Common Sense , and about to start Dick Morris' Catastrophe
Is 'Common Sense' a pack of lies, as the MSM claims or is it worth reading?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
It's worth it , I dont believe anything the MSM talking heads put out ..
Old 08-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #95

Books to Swap

This is a great site for all avid readers. I recently ran across it. I have found a selection of books there at great savings. Mention my name if you join and I will get free books. I have about 50 or so books listed on the site.

PaperBack Swap: Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free.

Ray Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote