Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #15

I made my boys learn how to drive on a stick shift, once you learn that,
you can drive anything...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Some interesting posts. To take a different direction, when I have taught someone to drive, the first thing I would do is go to an empty parking lot (Sunday etc) and have them drive slowly around the parking lot. Then have them back up around the lot. Have them learn to park parallel as well as angle and back in parking until they were sick and tired of it. In the end they were not afraid to park or back up. When they can drive slowly without looking for things they need to use and can park & back up they are ready to get out on the road with a little more speed. It is important that they know where light switches, wipers etc are with out looking for them.
thanks for the ideas but been there and done that, paralell parking was fun. She got good at it thogh.

Looking for travel data that is not comonly knowen. I read somewhere that on construction baracades the direction the stripes mean whitch way to merge. It has been a while since i saw these "Rules" and i dont remember all there where.

again thanks keep them comming

Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oregon & Washington have sequential exit numbers- 1, 1a, 2, 3 etc. Nothing to do with mile markers. Lowest is in the south, highest in the north (example along I-5)

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Oregon & Washington have sequential exit numbers- 1, 1a, 2, 3 etc. Nothing to do with mile markers. Lowest is in the south, highest in the north (example along I-5)

Sheila
I think you are mistaken about WA. The exit number is the closest smaller number and if there are 2 exits between 2 mile markers they add an "A" then "B" etc.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Cliff,

I do not believe that I am mistaken. I know that exit 7 is more than 7 miles away from the WA/OR border.

However, I will bow to those who know more about that

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have not got past the three teen girls I am teaching to drive......good luck with that....just smash the whole vehicle on every corner and get it over with! Just kidding! Once my sister painted a bench red, put a " wet paint" sign up and then sat down on it. She tried to start the car by inserting the key into the cigarette lighter. Dad managed to teach her to drive and she passed drivers exam and became licensed. Her car is dented on all corners, both sides of garage have been hit and on coming traffic tends to move out of her way. She is good with the horn though!
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi Cliff,

I do not believe that I am mistaken. I know that exit 7 is more than 7 miles away from the WA/OR border.

However, I will bow to those who know more about that

Sheila

Sorry, but you are mistaken, WA and OR are not one of 11 states that still
use sequential numbering on their Interstate exit signs. According to MUTCD,
the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Federal Highway Administration.

And going north from the WA/OR border on I-5 ...............

Exit #7 (NE 134th St) is 7.25 miles from the middle of the Columbia River,
according to Google Earth.

The exit numbers jump from #5 to #7 to #9 to #14 to #16 to #21 and so on.
Sequential numbering systems do not skip numbers like that.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
thanks for the ideas but been there and done that, paralell parking was fun. She got good at it thogh.

Looking for travel data that is not comonly knowen. I read somewhere that on construction baracades the direction the stripes mean whitch way to merge. It has been a while since i saw these "Rules" and i dont remember all there where.

again thanks keep them comming

I think the diagonal stripes on barracades tell you which way to move, if I recall.

[ \\\\\\\\\\ ] <-- This means go to the right

[ ////////// ] <-- This means go to the left

[ /////\\\\\ ] <-- This means go around left or right
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Help please,

I have 3 teen girls I am teaching to drive 2 have their licences but need some pointers for traveling, IE how exits are # etc

what i am looking for i saw 20 to 30 years ago in Readers digest. It explained things like exit Numbers. How to tell whitch side of the road an exit was on, how the construction barracades are positioned to move traffic and a bunch of other neat things.

any body have some pointers for "New" travelers or a place to look

thanks
That is funny . . . it was about 30 years ago and I remember the article well. I was just getting my license and my dad made that required reading. I STILL think of the article when on the freeway. Have you tried contacting Reader's Digest? They would have to have it in their archives.

Good luck with the driver's training! We did that 3 times and lived to tell the tale. Just.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman
I have not got past the three teen girls I am teaching to drive......good luck with that....just smash the whole vehicle on every corner and get it over with! Just kidding! Once my sister painted a bench red, put a " wet paint" sign up and then sat down on it. She tried to start the car by inserting the key into the cigarette lighter. Dad managed to teach her to drive and she passed drivers exam and became licensed. Her car is dented on all corners, both sides of garage have been hit and on coming traffic tends to move out of her way. She is good with the horn though!
Well 2 have their licenses I was just looking for little known info to pass on to them as they head to college Btw 3 girls are 18, 18, and 15. One 18 yo is just living w us but we clam her as ours. They do a pretty good job of driving though they seem to have heavy feet and get lost easily ;-0. Good thing for cell phones to call dad for directions
Old 05-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like they are excellent drivers and you are doing great as Father. Wish you all the best.