Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Reading the News Paper

I just realized that I haven't read one in 9 months. And guess what? I haven't missed a thing, and the sun keeps coming up. :-)

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #2

I think my blood pressure is much better when I don't read the nonsense that the media wishes to report on today in the newspaper. The only thing I miss is the sports section during the baseball season, but you can get that info on the MLB website.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Gave up on Gannet papers since they now have less coverage than the TV or radio. I can remember back in the day when the local radio news department grabbed a paper on the way to work to get the news. No more.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
I just realized that I haven't read one in 9 months. And guess what? I haven't missed a thing, and the sun keeps coming up. :-)

The only reason I take the daily paper is for the comics and obituaries!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
It's been years since I read a newspaper. I get my news from TV and additional news and comics from the internet. I don't read the obituaries; I'm afraid I'll find myself there.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read the local paper for local happenings. TV news is from 120 miles away and not relevant to home town happenin's.

Glenn
Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
I read the local paper for local happenings. TV news is from 120 miles away and not relevant to home town happenin's.

Glenn
Heck the local paper and TV are within 10 miles and still have not figured out the suburbs are here after 150 years or so. ;-)
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Cancelled the newspaper here about 3 mos ago. It's primary purpose seemed to be to ridicule the Sheriff and Governor. (Both are working hard)
Our award winning, disrespectful and irreverent cartoonist now has his own "satirical" column and is on the editorial board. It has become is so one-sided...... I'm surprised they print on both sides of the paper.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #9

I used to be a "news" junkie, then one day I kicked the habit and now only get my "news" from my car radio now and then. I don't miss it and haven't touched a newspaper in years. I used to look through the my Friday local paper for local shopping flyers but now I have an App for that too!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas the news paper today is not what it was 40 years ago..

I recall reading a book. (This was closer to 50 years ago) where a kid is trying out a lot of jobs..One was Reporter..The editor took a story in his paper regarding a traffic accident..The story was fair and balanced and well written.. The implication of the story is "Police are investigating"

The editor re-wrote it in the manner of far too many newspapers today and ask the kid to re-read it.. "When are they going to arrest the truck driver?" was the outcome..

Fox News claims to be Fair and Balanced.. Someone (Ex employee) wrote a Kiss and Tell book titled Fair and Balanced.. Fox sued him.. the only case I know of where the judge actually laughed the case out of court. Fox is noted for "When are they going to arrest" Reporting.

(Having been a victim, both professionally and personally, of several news services in one way or another I do not like any of them.. But Faux is the worst).

(One station in Detroit was declared personna non grata in my office by my boss.. (That was one of the professional cases).

Newspapers today are not much worth reading.. Well some small local ones perhaps but not the big dailies.

True story: The Detroit News carried a story about the successful launch of the space shuttle, Went off without a flaw.

Only thing is the shuttle was still sitting on the pad.. had not launched.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

no newspaper/ no tv

Gave up on tv about a decade ago. Missed it for about six weeks. Gave up on newspaper about five years ago. Missed the puzzles the most. I figure if something that important in the world is going on I'll hear about it in line at the grocery store.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
About a decade ago we changed our newspaper subscription to Wednesdays and Sundays only (to keep the coupons, I think). We've now been fully weaned from the newspaper about six years (life without coupons). Much prefer the web for our news; TV is our choice for weather. I don't know what we are doing without coupons, but life goes on... I do miss the puzzles, however! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #13

Out of curiosity have you checked on line for printable puzzes?

Then there are puzzle books. We keep one in the "study".
Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...Then there are puzzle books. We keep one in the "study".
nothermark: We are over our weight at the passenger rear because of the number of puzzle books in the "study" (LOL). I start the day with one, and end the day with one (that is to mean, a puzzle book). What I have not tried are the online options. I prefer the old-time anacrostics. \ken

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote