Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

REAL Service Dogs

This topic has been posted, and beaten around many years. Lets, stick to the Topic of SERVICE DOGS... Not I have a small dog ??? small dogs are ankle Biters ,,, Not big/small. just service dogs. And I would like to add , a service dog? Is it required to be Muzzled ? when out and about with the owner... I was at a Business place last week , an individual had a dog that was To him a service Dog. ( he did not have a card ) He had it on a leach , it growled at me when I walked by.. ( we don't need any Remarks, Just facts ) I had never seen the dog before , did not look at it or touch it.. (it was NOT muzzled ) I went to the Business owner and asked him who would be libel If the dog were to bite me. ,, We discussed that , and the dog owner and the business owner, both would be... Lets Not try to push responsibility on.. Remember , The buck stops here..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
This may help
Laws

Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony Bachler View Post
This topic has been posted, and beaten around many years. Lets, stick to the Topic of SERVICE DOGS... Not I have a small dog ??? small dogs are ankle Biters ,,, Not big/small. just service dogs. And I would like to add , a service dog? Is it required to be Muzzled ? when out and about with the owner... I was at a Business place last week , an individual had a dog that was To him a service Dog. ( he did not have a card ) He had it on a leach , it growled at me when I walked by.. ( we don't need any Remarks, Just facts ) I had never seen the dog before , did not look at it or touch it.. (it was NOT muzzled ) I went to the Business owner and asked him who would be libel If the dog were to bite me. ,, We discussed that , and the dog owner and the business owner, both would be... Lets Not try to push responsibility on.. Remember , The buck stops here..

Tony, with all due respect, I'm having a real hard time following your post above.

Do you not like small dogs?
Do you think small dogs cannot be service dogs?
Do you think all service dogs should be muzzled?
Who tried to push the libel responsibility on...to what/whom?
What buck are you referring to?

Again, no disrespect....just trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

Reading from that link it appears that the owner of the business in this case could have excluded the dog because of its aggressive nature. The law is rather ambiguous about this though. Also it appears that the owner of the animal is totally responsible if something happens. But that makes an interesting question, what if the business owner had not excluded an aggressive dog and it did attack someone would a business owner then be liable also.?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

I will go ahead and derail this one. It only had one wheel on the rails to begin with!
Since when can you get a service dog because you don't like to be away from them? Now you can be granted a licence for one if you have separation anxiety. I'm not saying that this isn't a real illness. I'm just saying it doesn't warrant having a service animal!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #6

Some of the problems are the state regs themselves. In Florida you do not have to carry a card proving your animal is a service dog and the dog does not have to wear any specific collar or vest. In addition a business owner may not require any proof of the animals status nor can he/she even question the dogs status. There was a case here where a quick food restaurant was being sued by a person for embarrassing her by asking if the big pitbull she had was really a service animal.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Sorry I guess I posted over some heads.. #1 I like dogs. I own dogs. I have Sued over dogs. ( I have sued the Dog owner, Not the dog ). I was just pointing out different laws, and on response able owners.... Owning a park I have seen most all of it. I think most can get the picture.. And I am not posting to find any disagreements... At one Of the biting sessions . The Animal enforcement Officer Said it is a law in ALL the states , That all dogs must be on Leash and in full control.. OH I travel with dogs and with doggie bags.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Retired animal control officer and dog trainer for over 30 years here: The fella that claimed that a dog must be on leash is just dead wrong. Many areas across the control recognize verbal control as acceptable.

Regarding Service dogs: They do not need a muzzle in public. A real service dog will not normally act aggressively or growl They are trained not to. That said, upon the very first growl, the business owner has the right, legally, to eject the animal from the premises.

In your first post: if the dog bit you I will leave up to the lawyers to hash out. Many grey areas there.

The ADA and laws regarding service dogs are federal and in effect in every state.

A quick Google search will confirm my statements. They laws were amended around 2012, so make sure you have the latest version.

Hope this helps you.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:20 AM   #9

My dog, a 10 month old puppy, is in the middle of training as a service dog. I am a high anxiety person and have passed out on more than a few occasions. She calms me, is learning to use the phone (speed dial) if I pass out and bark until help arrives. She has papers for all this but I'm not required to carry them.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:12 AM   #10

Federal law (ADA) does not require any license, apparel, card, papers or any "official" authorization of a service animal (dog or horse). Although anyone can get all kinds of this stuff online. A person with a service animal is required to answer only two questions about the animal when accessing an area open to the public:
* "(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform."

As far as a dog that growls at you: *"a person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken."

* U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section

As far as being bitten, civil and/or criminal law applies.

Like many things, some folks are going to abuse it. However, I travel full time and rarely see service dogs in public places that otherwise exclude pets. A few times I've wondered about a women carrying a tiny dog in her purse, but those dogs don't seem to cause a problem anyway. (Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.)
Old 07-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
Federal law (ADA) does not require any license, apparel, card, papers or any "official" authorization of a service animal (dog or horse). Although anyone can get all kinds of this stuff online. A person with a service animal is required to answer only two questions about the animal when accessing an area open to the public:
* "(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform."

As far as a dog that growls at you: *"a person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken."

* U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section

As far as being bitten, civil and/or criminal law applies.

Like many things, some folks are going to abuse it. However, I travel full time and rarely see service dogs in public places that otherwise exclude pets. A few times I've wondered about a women carrying a tiny dog in her purse, but those dogs don't seem to cause a problem anyway. (Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.)

Thank you for posting this (I knew it but people don't), I get asked all the time for a "card" for my service dog which is not required. I will add one thing to you comment though, if the dog is acting aggressive the person my me asked to leave as the handler does not have the dog under control in public. I have been a guest at the AZ State Bar at training conferences and every lawyer in the room agreed the dog should be removed when this topic came up.

On a side note I was taught when I received my dog that I should treat it like a 'brief case', it should be seen and not heard, she is a tool for me to get around and not a pet when in public, she is working. Some may not agree with this but it works, my kids don't pet her, or play with her when her vest is on, most don't know she is there with me at a restaurant as she is under the table. My dog is 'small' to me at 63 lbs but large to most so she is not one of these ankle biters you see in the stores.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony Bachler View Post
So let me see if I have this right. In the case of a bite (or whatever), you would would consider holding the business owner libel - the same guy required to let this dog in to his business? What a guy....
Old 08-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #13

I guess we don't need to prove we have authority to do anything today. Or it is heading that way. Maybe in the future you won't have to show a card to park in a handicap space?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #14

I see where you can buy "service dog" vests from numerous sources on the internet. I suspect that many/most of the service dog vests are being worn by regular run of the mill pets.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service