Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:

Can you find a list of the American companies that have closed up operations and layed off workers in the US and moved to Mexico.
That would astound you too.

It's Too bad, because America was a nice place once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are certainly ahead of the curve. Once this new immigration policy implemented the biggest benefits will probably go to Mexico. American companies will simply move to Mexico for cheap labor. That will boost their economy and create thousands of jobs that they badly need. The bad news is that it will take many American jobs south of the border. In a few years those who are now complaining that they've lost their lettuce picking jobs to illegals might just find that they have to go Mexico for jobs!

Sadly we don't seem to think before we act these days.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #16

I, too, earn a living in the oil industry. The latest gov't report shows gasoline imports to be at an ALL TIME high (even higher than after Katrina and Rita). The profit margins are now at a level that attracts the foreign distillate sellers. This is why so many companies are building refineries in other countries--to sell their products here. We are hamstrung--we cannot get permits to build new refineries in our own country. It is at a point now that if all the foreign gasoline and diesel supplies were cut off at once, within 28 days with all our refineries at 100% capacity, we could only supply 34% of the current demand. It is not just foreign crude oil we are dependent upon.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:

As a Retired Navy veteran I ask you to name one place in the world that is better than the USA to live in. I have visited 36 countries, I have yet to find some place with more freedoms than we have. I have yet to find some place with more personal space, or a better standerd of living for the average person.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vegascpl:

Can you find a list of the American companies that have closed up operations and layed off workers in the US and moved to Mexico.
That would astound you too.

You are certainly ahead of the curve. Once this new immigration policy implemented the biggest benefits will probably go to Mexico. American companies will simply move to Mexico for cheap labor. That will boost their economy and create thousands of jobs that they badly need. The bad news is that it will take many American jobs south of the border. In a few years those who are now complaining that they've lost their lettuce picking jobs to illegals might just find that they have to go Mexico for jobs!

Sadly we don't seem to think before we act these days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well in the auto industry the US companies are down sizing. Yet many Japaneese, German and Korean car compnies are building new plant here in the USA. Denso, a car parts maker is also expanding in the USA, three of its existing plants this year.

We need to look and see why foreign owned companies can open and expand in the USA but our Armerican run companies are shrinking.

The reasons are many for this. Big management, slow to change and the Union. The Foreign compaines have lean management, and lean inventory and a very quick to change.

Oil problem is the EPA and governement regulations. It is cost prohibitive to build a new refinery in the USA. It has been years since one was built. We need several new refineries. All ours are very old.
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #19

Profit vs. Profit Margins

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Most government school graduates can't even so much as explain the difference between a profit and a profit margin. Let's say that you're selling a widget for $10 and you're making a 10% profit. Your profit is $1.00. Your profit margin is 10%. Now let's say that your costs go up by $9 a widget. So, you double the price at the widget store. Now widgets are selling for $20. Your costs are $18 per widget, so you're making $2.00 on every sale. Your profit has doubled to $2.00 per widget, but your profit margin is still 10%. You're still making the same profit on every dollar that you invest in your business, but your profits have doubled! So ... as surely as wet streets follow rain ... along comes the politician to demagogue you for doubling your profits. He starts to talk about a windfall profits tax to take that extra dollar away from you. Oh, to be sure, he knows what the real story is here --- but he also knows that his poorly educated constituents don't know. The playing field is set for some grandstanding and pandering ... and our politico is off to the races! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shamelessly stolen from Neal Boortz
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #20

RE: American Car Companies vs. Japanese, German and Korean.

Great article in The Economist last couple of weeks about that very subject and they posed an interesting thought.

They pointed out one major difference in the business models of American car companies that the Japanese and German car companies don't share. Don't recall them including the Koreans. American companies develop a model and then have all their divisions, for example GM: Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, etc, put out a competing model of the same car: Lacrosse vs. Impala vs. Grand Prix (...if I have my models mixed up don't shoot me I may not know what kind of a car it is but I do know an expensive one).

They posed that they are putting too much into competing with themselves. Honda, Toyota, BMW on the other hand have a business model where they produce one car model that is basically their flagship, the Accord, the Camry, into which they put all their R/D resources. They do offer a variety of higher and lower end cars, but the flagship is really their bread and butter of the operation.

Very interesting indeed.

Marcia
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 AM   #21

Toyota does compete against its self. The Toyota Camery is also available as an upscale Lexus, same goes for the Avilon by Toyota and the Sequoia by Toyota, both are available as up scale Lexus.

Guess where the most efficient and profitable 4 cylinder engine plant in the world is? West Virgina, it is owned and operated by Toyota. They export 15% of those engines to Japan. Same plant also makes 6 cylinder engines, may of which are exported to Canada for the Lexus.

Toyota looked at building another Car plant in Chatanooga TN. They decided on Toranto Canada for one reason over TN. They stated they were afraid they could not find enough skilled labor in TN.

Toyota was correct about that. I worked in a Auto parts manufacturing plant in TN. I was a miantenance team leader. We were recruiting maintenance people out of state as we could not find enough skilled labor. At no point in the five years I worked for them were we not trying to hire at least one maintenace associate. Today they have 1 open maintenance team leader position and five maintenance associate positions.

I left not for the pay, as my new job was a pay cut. I left cause we were working 1000 to 1300 a year in overtime. The stick coil production line get 1 day off a month.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ...they produce one car model that is basically their flagship, the Accord, the Camry, into which they put all their R/D resources. They do offer a variety of higher and lower end cars, but the flagship is really their bread and butter of the operation.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not arguing the fact they have upscale versions of models...just that their business model relies on the "Flagship" model in their fleet which is the difference in the American car manufactorers business model.

Marcia