Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
You forgot to mention how they have shortened up the yellow lights to the legal minimum. In some suburbs if you stop more than a few inches past the white line, it will cost you $100. In Illinois it doesn’t matter who is driving the car. Your car - your ticket. They claim it’s all about safety. When they donate the money to charity, I’ll believe that one.
As far as I know there is no "legal Minimum" for yellow time. Now this from 15 years ago, but when I was working .....dirty word for sure.... computers were just being introduced into the traffic signal systems. Back in 2000 computers were smart enough to "see" vehicles, count them and classify them and adjust timing to better serve a interescation. If a factory let out, the signal was smart enough to hold the green longer to allow more factory vehicles to get through.

One signal system I worked on the camera/computer were programed to see large coal trucks that were not able to stop on time and the system would go into emergency mode and flash red in all directions. Problem is the truckers learned this and they wouldn't even try to stop blasting right on through!

Look up and you might see small cameras on the signal arms "looking" at you. That could be a "smart" intersection and controlled by computers constantly adjusting timing for better traffic flow.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
You know, there is no way we can predict how others will behave when driving. Yes, we should all know the rules of the road, and we do our best to follow them. But we just have to allow that others will see us in our RV and will say, I can beat that big ole thing and will then proceed to do this or that. We can't change others behavior, no matter how 'peeved' we may be. Drive defensively. LEt them pass. Its the journey, not the destination. Enjoy this beautiful country and our time in it.

"Did you see that? What an Idiot!"
As Sharon would say: :temper temper, no 4 letter words now! Take a deep breath and let them go"! But let her drive and OH Boy, it would make a sailor blush!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of drivers have just changed. Everybody's in a hurry. It's ok to drive the speed limit plus a CPL mph but to cut ppl off then quick exit or go so fast a move from have to Lane, sometimes 3 Lanes at a time. When you drive an rv, or pull one, you need a super navigator, dash cam and multi cameras. Oh that's right you can't take the time to look at them. And ppl wonder why there's roads rage. I guess I should say. LOL cause I try really hard but Everytime we drive, something happens
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
As far as I know there is no "legal Minimum" for yellow time. Now this from 15 years ago, but when I was working .....dirty word for sure.... computers were just being introduced into the traffic signal systems. Back in 2000 computers were smart enough to "see" vehicles, count them and classify them and adjust timing to better serve a interescation. If a factory let out, the signal was smart enough to hold the green longer to allow more factory vehicles to get through.

One signal system I worked on the camera/computer were programed to see large coal trucks that were not able to stop on time and the system would go into emergency mode and flash red in all directions. Problem is the truckers learned this and they wouldn't even try to stop blasting right on through!

Look up and you might see small cameras on the signal arms "looking" at you. That could be a "smart" intersection and controlled by computers constantly adjusting timing for better traffic flow.
I’ll defer to you on the existence of a legal minimum. Here’s what Chicago uses:
From the City of Chicago website: How long are Chicago’s yellow lights?
Chicago's yellow lights are set at 3 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 30 mph or lower, 4 seconds on streets where the approach speed limit is 35 mph or higher.
The city describes the yellow light times as more than adequate.
I suspect most traffic engineers would disagree.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #33

In Florida it is illegal to accelerate towards a yellow light. The state claims that if you have time to hit the gas, you have time to hit the brake.

They will definitely fine you for that.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #34

Red Light & Double Yellow Lines

To me, knowing that the driving habits of offenders cannot be changed makes for a set level of cautious driving: HIGH ALERT
For others the offenses are a great opportunity to lay on the Hadleys and maybe pound their fists until they are pink....to no benefit!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes the Hadley's will cause an idiot to do something even more stupid! I agree the best thing these days is to be on high alert.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #36

In a township near me the cops have put up signs at all stop signs. 'FULL STOP, FREE. COASTING THROUGH STOP SIGN, $141.50'
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
A lot of drivers have just changed. Everybody's in a hurry... you need a super navigator, dash cam and multi cameras...
It seems like cars pulling out from a side street will jump out in front of you right at the intersection because they don't want to follow a slow moving MH. With that, I'm currently shopping for a dash cam because it's not "if", it's "when" an accident occurs it'll recorded .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 AM   #38
IC2

I dislike the right turn on red law. It seems to be OK for people to not even slow at that intersection - and I have yet to see anyone stopped for doing that. Double lines - HA!. Though with that said, the closest I've been to being hit was a state cop coming over a hill crest at high speed. We missed by inches. I also made a complaint which cost him some unpaid free time (7 days) off the job.

If you feel the need to waste an hour some day, watch some You Tube car crash videos - just the US/CA versions, not the Eastern Europe to see how people really get themselves in a world of financial and occasionally personal hurt. Here's one as an example:
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:14 AM   #39

You are the first person I have ever heard say they did not like the right turn on red law. I wonder, do all states have that law?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP. yes you are basically correct on Red Lights. there is an exception or two. But to quaify you must enter the intersection on GREEN. Not Amber.. That said. A few blocks from my house the rule seemed to be 3 cars on red and no stop on red before turning right... about a half mile south of there I got rear ended by an idiot doign 60 in a 45 zone. (Long story no injury, I did well and testified against idiot so I got paid!!!)

As for the double yellow.. Truer.
Having topped the hill I'm now crusing about 7-8MPH over the posted speed limit, in a curve, double yellow, when the guy with the licendse 1 D 10 T (Well that is the icense he shoudl have had) passedf me.. I kid you not.. Oh, I made it to breakfast no problem.. Him.. I'm not so sure of.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #41

I tried to answer my own question (I did, all states allow right turn on red unless sign posted prohibiting it) and stumble on another goody. Right turn on red arrow!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Here in the Chicago area we have red light cameras. My wife got a $100 ticket for not coming to a complete stop when turning right on a red. She swore she stopped but then we looked at the video they supplied, and she did not. The wheels never stopped completely.
Most likely a police officer would not have written a ticket for such a small infraction, (the wheels were barely turning), but the camera is unforgiving.
This is a right turn on red light, now she sits until it turns green because she doesn't want to take a chance on another ticket. Oddly enough, everyone behind her at that light patiently waits also. She thinks they all got tickets at one point too.
I will not run even a yellow light if I can safely brake and stop. These cameras are a cash cow for the city and suburbs around here.
If I read your post correctly, your wife "swore" she stopped, but the camera showed she did not, so she received a ticket for the infraction. Now she is showing her righteous indignation for the fine by refusing to turn right on any red light, therefore inconveniencing those waiting behind her.

Okay, I guess that makes sense.

Her claim that everyone behind her also waits patiently is no doubt due to the fact that being further back in the line, they cannot see if any traffic is approaching from the left.

Tags
light