Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly643 View Post
Montana or S Dakota LLC? Would that fix the issue.
There have been many lengthy discussions about the Montana LLC. In a nutshell the burden of proof is on the taxpayer and if he starts a Montana LLC but continues to live in CA and does not meet the legal requirements to no longer be a resident of CA then the Montana LLC does not work. There is a combination of the tax laws, DMV laws, and other requirements of residency which become controlling in the legality or illegality of the Montana LLC.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Montana or S Dakota LLC? Would that fix the issue.
You won't pay CA sales tax, but you acquire a whole new set of problems. CA, in particular, seems to be stopping RV folks (on occasion since all traffic laws are enforced based on officer location and availability) who have dissimilar MH and toad license plates. Some have reported issues and citations, others have not. And, if you have a job in CA you are supposed to have your car registered in CA. (Although, here too, enforcement is spotty.)

And you have the issue of insurance coverage in case you really need it. Theoretically, you need a CDL in CA to drive a corporate owned vehicle. Again, the enforcement of this seems to be capricious. But, if you are in an accident without a CDL you are technically driving with an invalid license. You have to evaluate your risk tolerance on this issue.

If you want to continue to live in CA and want to avoid CA sales tax you have to follow the rules in pub 52. It is that simple. Otherwise, move out of state and come back and visit, and you will be OK. Just do not work here.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #31

Sounds like plan. The real issue is tax on used goods. It is outrageous and makes people consider changing address! My friend paid for artificial repairs against the cost??
Old 04-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I don't understand why you want to stay in cali if it's so bad? Why not just move to Kanas?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
I guess I don't understand why you want to stay in cali if it's so bad? Why not just move to Kanas?
I love your answer. "Put up or shut up " America hated the British tea tax not th he British (until the war began ) I love Kansss but my familh sre in CA. I am sorry for offending those who think that paying tax over and over again for the same thing is good.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:54 AM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Isn't a shame we have to even consider working the system to save ourselves from confiscatory tax rates in the first place?

Buy an RV in Washington state for instance and you will a "Use Tax" on used and sales tax on new at the rate of 8.7-9.9% depending on your city & county. So if you buy a used class a DP @ $300K you will pay $26-30K in use tax. Considering they already collected sales tax on this unit when it was new, likely nearly $40K, I find this to be outrageous.

Our new state of declared residency, OK, and in fact where we own property, they charge 3.25% on 1/2 the purchase price of new and the same rate on 65% of 1/2 the purchase price. So on a $300k coach the use tax is $6337.50. Still a lot, but saves $20K+ over WA. or about 5700 gal of fuel @ $3.50/gal or nearly 45K miles traveled. Or in our case will pay for our used stacker trailer.

Maybe I should set up a Shell Corp address and you can all register there ad save $$
Here in Clark Co the rate is 8.4% on the difference. I could had used that $23,000+ on the Magna for something else! But my WA state retirement is more than that every year so I guess it somewhat evens out! Our Magna was originally sold in FL so WA never collected anything on it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #35

Quote:
I love your answer. "Put up or shut up " America hated the British tea tax not th he British (until the war began ) I love Kansss but my familh sre in CA. I am sorry for offending those who think that paying tax over and over again for the same thing is good.
More like, "stop supporting their asinine laws with your money, move somewhere you pay less money and get better service!"

Tags
cat