Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #43
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, I long for the simplicity and safety of those days. I don't think anyone even locked their doors at night. Nobody worried about where their kids were or them being kidnapped, as long as they were home for supper.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #44

So many happy memories. I guess the sense of family and community was stronger then. Watching the lunar missions, the Kennedy tragedies, MLK assasination, the summer of love, the Vietnam war and protests, the cold war, and of course the wonderful family meals! I could go on and on.
Can't forget about the music! From 50s to rock, Italian music and polkas, and even opera.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #45

Growing up I worked with my dad at his auto parts store on Saturdays near Detroit. I remember when gasoline was 18cpg during one price war. Later, when I turned 16 and had to buy my own fuel I was outraged it had gone up to nearly 60cpg. Now we pay nearly $2 for bottled water!
berkashire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #46

Electricity was new out in the country. Four room house with bare bulb drawstring lights, coal stove in living room, water piped in from reservoir about a quarter mile from the house complete with the occasional salamander, outhouse, wringer washer on back porch, catch a chicken from the yard for Sunday dinner. Bath night in a wash tub in the kitchen with water heated on the kitchen stove. We grew most of our own food as we were on a farm. Had a can house in the back yard with cool spring water running through a trough in the middle to store food canned in mason jars. Had 40 milk cows, so milk aplenty. Up at 4:00 am to milk cows, then to school, then milk cows again at 4:00 pm. Never wore shoes in summer except for church. Yes, a much simpler time.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #47
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I remember when I was in Elementary School the outhouses were way down the hill in the woods. Long walk and cold sit in the winter!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I remember when I was in Elementary School the outhouses were way down the hill in the woods. Long walk and cold sit in the winter!
Ha, ours had snow on them, sometimes several inches, and some other "stuff" that got there by kids squatting on them to avoid the snow and missing the hole. Number 1 was OK, but I don't remember ever using them for anything else.

They were a bit closer.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #49

I remember in the 70's when cable first came out...6.95 a month

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
We were mostly overseas until I was 10 yrs. old. Army "Brat". But when were back stateside, and dad retired from the military,we had milk, eggs and pastries from the bakery delivered. Even the dry cleaners picked up and dropped off my fathers dress work shirts.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #51

Lotta things I remember, lotta things I'd rather not. My mother cleaned houses, my twin sister and I washed the clothes, little sister played. Worked on the farm with Bob and Nellie, (our team of horses) I hated to plow, couldn't keep it in the ground. Helped milk 9 cows by hand every morning, plus other chores of course. At 15, on bad winter days, the old man kept me home from school, he took one half of his mail route, and I took the other. Would I do it again ? Looking back, that was the best part of my life.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I remember in the 70's when cable first came out...6.95 a month

That may have been when cable came to your area - my Dad was a cable TV design engineer and the first system we worked on was in Trail, British Columbia in 1953!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #53

I'm not going to say my age () but The Wizard of Oz came on TV only once a year and my family counted down the days until we could watch it on our B/W TV. We all got our blankets and popcorn and enjoyed the show. I remember watching the original King Kong too. Good times.
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #54

Remember riding my stick horse to the store for 1 cent gum. Came out of the store and someone had stolen my stick horse. I had to walk all the way back home.

John & Martha Rowin
2000 Safari Continental Panther
Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #55

When I needed money, I worked for it. Cutting grass, selling vegetables or Christmas cards was a way to make extra money for clothes, hobbies, and other things. I always remember buying gas at 19.9¢ per gallon for regular and I could not figure out why anybody in their right mind would pay 21.9¢ for "high test".
Flizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #56

I remember when REA came and installed electric service. The pumps on the wells were changed out from gas to electric and the silence was deafening- just a hum. We did away with the wind charger and battery building. Bet those glass batteries would be worth a fortune to a collector. We bought DDT POWDER in 50 pound bags, made DDT Paint with water and painted everything in sight. Butchered cows, hogs and chickens. Had to go to town for the locker plant. Rode the bus to school. Near Artesia, NM in south east NM in 1946-47. We kids thought it was great but was a tough life for our parents.
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote