Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #85

Have you tried starting them sideways?
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #86

I haven't heard the term "rag man" in a bunch of years. I thought mother was making it up until one came to our door. All these memories show that we all have a lot of things in common. I can relate to so many of them.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 AM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
ked

Did a lot of what was said here.

The one that I think is the most novel, especially these days, is my first day of school.

I was 5 years old, Mom walked me with some other mothers and neighborhood kids to our first day of kindergarten, about a half mile.

The next day the kids and I walked alone and did so till I was a junior when my buddy got a car and picked me up. Never took a bus.

Can you imagine a 5 year old walking by themselves today. The parents would be locked up.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #88

Thor Owners Club
I remember walking a little more than a mile to school for first through sixth grade. Then, I had to walk to that same school as that is where I caught the bus to middle school. High school was a three+ mile walk, but I normally hitch-hiked with some success. Got frost bite one day when they early released us because of a blizzard and there was no traffic, so no possible rides home. And I lived in a suburban setting, not a rural area where it was even further for everyone. Never would see this today.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #89

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Linda Bohr;4997429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
When we first got a telephone the only option was a party line. Eight families shared the line. The local gossips listened in all the time!

When I was a kid, we had a party line. We had an old crank phone and the operator was at a switch board in town. One night, my brother and I got to go to a movie and we were supposed to call dad to come and get us when it was over. The line was busy. It stayed busy until I was panicking because the man who ran the movie wanted to go home. He took us to the telephone building where a friend was the operator. I was crying and told Betty that we couldn't get hold of daddy to come and get us. She broke in the conversation and said it was an emergency. When daddy came on the line I told him that we had been out of the movie for an hour and we couldn't get through because a lady on the same line had been talking for hours. She came on and said, "I have not." So I know what you mean about the gossips. I guess she wanted to know what the emergency was so she could spread it about.
Reminds me of whenever we wanted to make a call we had to pick up the phone and tell my aunt who lived across the street to get off the line so we could call.

Glenn
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 AM   #90

Remember starting the school day with the Flag pledge and the Lord's prayer...must have ruined us all...what were they thinking? God Bless America!
fickes7167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #91

KZ RV Club
I remember when kids could read an analog clock. Came across a younger person that couldn't tell time on the office clock so they would use their phone.
Tony_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #92

I remember teaching my kids to tell time on a clock with hands.
Seemed like a thing parents should do.

My digital clock looked like a tiny Roldex. Anybody remember them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Full blown AI androids will not need a clock, nor to sleep or eat/drink or use a bathroom. Don't need to breathe either.

It's a coming folks... So long as civilization does nor extinguish itself first!! Luckily, ""Full blown AI androids" should be a bit past most of our times on Earth. Grandkids will have to deal with it all!!
Old 10-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #94

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Oh yeah. Click. Click. Click.

I remember my mother lighting the pilot light in the oven.
Acoustic modems.
How about the "clicker" TV remote that you could actually hear because it was acoustic?
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post

Acoustic modems.
How about the "clicker" TV remote that you could actually hear because it was acoustic?
We were poor. Dad would yell out the channel ( there were only 13 ) and one kid would change and fine tune it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bohr View Post
Have you tried starting them sideways?
Our wood stove was a copy of the free standing stove wood stove that was very efficient. The barrel slats were too long to fit in the stove , so they were cut in half to fit in it.

I remember when I was young, dad took me and one of my brothers to the local old time hardware store in town that had a free standing wood stove on display. It was similar to a Fisher brand.
With 9 children at home, it was too expensive for dad to buy, but he knew he could duplicate it. My brother & I were the lookouts in the hardware store as dad hastily measured and drew up the stove on paper. (the store owner frowned on copying his products on display)

After a few days of cutting the steel & welding, we had a perfect copy of the stove at a much lower cost. It lasted some 40 plus years till mom & dad passed away.
Enclosed is a picture of a similar wood stove that dad copied.

Dad later added a water pipe loop in the stove with a pump and circulated the water to a coil in a piece of ductwork with a fan to heat the boys bedroom at back of the house.(5 boys in this room)

The Bourbon Whiskey barrel slats were a hardwood & they gave off lots of heat. They always smelled great while stacked on the porch. I guess that's why I have grown to love Kentucky Bourbon.

I don't know who is responsible for starting this thread, but thanks so much for starting it. It has brought back so many happy memories of my childhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FISHER wood Stove.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	263787  
ky bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post

Acoustic modems.
Late 1950's Grandpa Arthur inherited a bit of cash from a cousin while in his 80's. Purchased a Zenith B&W TV [he was color blind anyway] having what we called the "clikie"

It had four acoustically connected, spring loaded push buttons... channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down. When button pushed there was small hammer-pin that hit different sized tuning anvils to create octaves required.

I soon found that my "whistling" Duncan YoYo when blown through with my mouth could mimic same octaves. Depending on how hard I blew through the center of YoYo different items on TV would happen. I could even be in different room and the YoYo trick worked. I ran with it for a while, listening to Poppa Arthur cuss his new fangled TV. Eventually I showed him and we gad a great laugh! He was my favorite... as I was his!!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky bob View Post
Our wood stove was a copy of the free standing stove wood stove that was very efficient. The barrel slats were too long to fit in the stove , so they were cut in half to fit in it.

I remember when I was young, dad took me and one of my brothers to the local old time hardware store in town that had a free standing wood stove on display. It was similar to a Fisher brand.
With 9 children at home, it was too expensive for dad to buy, but he knew he could duplicate it. My brother & I were the lookouts in the hardware store as dad hastily measured and drew up the stove on paper. (the store owner frowned on copying his products on display)

After a few days of cutting the steel & welding, we had a perfect copy of the stove at a much lower cost. It lasted some 40 plus years till mom & dad passed away.
Enclosed is a picture of a similar wood stove that dad copied.

Dad later added a water pipe loop in the stove with a pump and circulated the water to a coil in a piece of ductwork with a fan to heat the boys bedroom at back of the house.(5 boys in this room)

The Bourbon Whiskey barrel slats were a hardwood & they gave off lots of heat. They always smelled great while stacked on the porch. I guess that's why I have grown to love Kentucky Bourbon.

I don't know who is responsible for starting this thread, but thanks so much for starting it. It has brought back so many happy memories of my childhood.
Currently we have an two "Earth" wood stoves, A "Fisher" wood stove and a "Franklin" wood stove. One Earth stove heats our entire 2,200 sq. ft. beach house. Also have, two really efficient pellet stoves operating in our main house. Having been a masonry builder/contractor for over 45 years [still going strong] I and my crews built hundreds of fireplaces and did many, many wood stove installations.

In late 1970's, upper Sierra Nevada Mountains [6,000 ft elevation]: Welder friend and I purchased 50 WWI depth charges. We fashioned them into horizontal standing wood stoves. They were great! Each still had the bronze 1" x 2" plack fastened just above the feed door we cut a hole for and bolted into place.

Well - Gotta go - Concrete trucks coming soon to nearby project!

Love this forum!