Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

removing Zep Floor Finish from my eye glasses

Good day Members, quick question, and please moved this to the proper forum if needed. I used Zep floor finish on my roof and managed to get some over spray on my eyeglasses... Anyone know how to remove it from my lenses without damaging my eyeglasses?

I had read here about using Zep "Wet Look" Floor Finish to rejuvenate an old RV, and today I decided to wash / scrub and prepare my roof for 4 coats of Zep floor finish.

What an amazing finish, I am so looking forward to doing the sides and front and rear caps...

Now back to my eyeglasses, and ideas how to remove it without damaging my lenses?

IAN...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	25922   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	25923  

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	25924  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Cleanig Glasses

Find a ChemDry Carpet company and ask them to try lavendoria. It is a ChemDry product that may disolve the ZAP. I've never heard of using ZAP on an RV. I have used NUGLASS on my sides and caps of my coach. How did you apply the ZAP?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Soak them in Windex. The ammonia will dissolve the wax. Also try running them thru a cycle in the dish washer.

The roof looks great. Good job.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

Not ZAP but ZEP Wet Look floor finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbunz View Post
Find a ChemDry Carpet company and ask them to try lavendoria. It is a ChemDry product that may disolve the ZAP. I've never heard of using ZAP on an RV. I have used NUGLASS on my sides and caps of my coach. How did you apply the ZAP?
Hi, it is not ZAP, but ZEP, here is the product and link. It's applied to RV's to give a clear shine to old finishes.

Wet Look Sealer from ZEP | The Home Depot - Model ZUWLFF128
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Beautiful job imorton !! I will watch this and see what works for you,, as I might need the same when I do our mh...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Soak them in Windex. The ammonia will dissolve the wax. Also try running them thru a cycle in the dish washer.

The roof looks great. Good job.
Thanks for the tip, since I thought I read that ammonia will strip the Wet Look... Thanks for the roof... I'll post pics of the sides when done.

Only problem, the aerosol glass cleaner that I have is ammonia free :(

I wonder if I go tomorrow and get some Windex, if it will be more difficult to remove?

Does anybody know if Windex damages the "transition lenses" on my eyeglass coating?

IAN...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #7

Windex will remove the zep and will not harm your glasses.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Windex will remove the zep and will not harm your glasses.
I just went out to purchase some Windex (well a glass cleaner that contains ammonia) and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

One gentleman suggested soaking them in Windex, maybe I should not just spray them like eyeglass cleaner.

I would try and soak them for a bit if it would remove the Zep and not harm my lenses... ($600 prescription lenses)

Any clues...?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would soak them for at least an hour or so.

The roof looks great. I would be interested in knowing how slick it is to walk on, especially when you are trying to wash it and it is wet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not sure about the cleaner for glasses. Mighty expensive to be experimenting on something as important as what allows you to see.
This stuff made the roof shiny for sure. BUT, when you put it on the sides and ends a few times and it ages for several months, what will it look like?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #11

We got some on the windows when we did our RV. The associated floor stripper took it off. I don't have any idea if it will damage your lenses.
Home Depot - 1 gal. Heavy Duty Floor Stripper customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would soak them for at least an hour or so.

The roof looks great. I would be interested in knowing how slick it is to walk on, especially when you are trying to wash it and it is wet.
Thanks for the tip, as I soaked them for 20 mins and the Zep came off the lenses with a kleenex.

As for the roof it's not slick to when wet, yet I can't really climb on the roof of my RV.

The roof was really dirty and chalky/oxidized. After rigging up a scaffold style setup with two picnic tables, so that I could wash/scrub the roof with an extendable brush. I used HOT water and dish soap to prepare the surface and rinsed with HOT water.

The surface felt clean with no residue. I applied 4 thin coats of the Zep Wet Look and it dries in 30 mins.

I find the results amazing especially considering I likely any more white streaks on the sides and windows

I'll start doing the sides and end caps tomorrow.

Here's a pics of the roof before :(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-14.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	25930  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Not sure about the cleaner for glasses. Mighty expensive to be experimenting on something as important as what allows you to see.
This stuff made the roof shiny for sure. BUT, when you put it on the sides and ends a few times and it ages for several months, what will it look like?
I did a lot of research on the internet and there's plenty of folks that have great reviews EVEN after years since applying it.

My RV is an 1988 and I have nothing to lose since the finish is really dull and I am not interested in compounding and waxing this every 6 months.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hello All, the pictures speak for them self. The finish on this side of my unit was very badly damaged from the sun, after two tries with rubbing compound and professional wax I still couldn't get the look I wanted. I couldn't believe the difference with the ZEP products,I first used Red Max Pro 3 and finished with the renamed Wet Look . Seeing is believing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	93.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	25931   Click image for larger version

Name:	92.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	25932