Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing the slide ''topper'' on your living room slide

''TOPPERS OVER THE SLIDES''

Our coach is about eleven years old and the last time it rained with the two slide out rooms were in the out position we noticed that some of the rain was running inside the living room. After the rain stopped I got out the ladder and went up on top of the living room slide out for a look around. Sure enough, the canvas thingie was worn our a long time ago. It was cracked in several places and torn on both ends and one ''end'' had been dragging on the holder and had worn our some of the canvas stuff. I said Shux and got out my rule and did some cyphering as to the actual size of the ''topper'' that I would need to fix the living room slide out. I did the same cyphering on the bed room slide out and wrote all the dimensions on my left hand with a ball point pen. I came in the house and got on the net and did a look around for ''room toppers'' and found a guy down in Arizona that custom made them. I checked around and he had the cheapest prices so I called and spoke to him. He had a good guarantee for his product and a good price for the product. I ordered two ''toppers'' that came in a week or so later. Since the one over the living room slide was the biggest and the ''worserist'' of the two I decided to fix it first. The instructions said I needed at least two people to do the job and a couple of ladders, some silicon spray, ''spikes'' to take the old one off the roller and screws and other stuff for putting the new ''topper'' on and installing it on the coach.
Since all I had was ME to do the job I figured that I was at least as good as two people because I are ''snart'' and resourceful.......
I went back out to the coach and did a good look around while on the ladder with the room rolled out. The instructions said to ''unroll the canvas off the roller and ''pin it'' when the end of the roller was reached and simply ''slide the topper out of the grove in the roller and the grove in the edge of the coach''................. Yeah sure......... It said nothing about the spring being one of the wheel springs that was under a WW2 Sherman Tank. I took a spike and started ''turning the roller away from me'' with great effort. After about one complete turn the ''spike'' handle popped out of my hand and the ''roller'' slung the spike across my neighbors yard and stuck the spike in the eve of his house. I said SHUX real loud. I decided to declare that the ''spike'' was not mine. I came down the ladder and did some thinking. I decided that I could think better with a beer in my hand so I went inside and got a cold one out of the reefer and went back outside for some thinking.
Ok, the topper is wound around the roller with springs inside that make it tight. When the room is slid out, that makes the springs that much tighter and hard to unwind using a spike which can kill you if you lose control of it. If I take the room all the way ''in'' that should relax the springs and make the roller easier to turn to get the topper to slide off of the roller. I took a sip of beer and went inside and rolled the room IN. When the room got all the way IN I heard a large noise like something falling. That was the ladder that I had propped against the room with it slid out. I said SHUX again. I could not find another ''spike'' so I got my electrical tester ice pick thingie with the plastic handle and the little lite bulb inside and climbed the ladder again. This should be easy now. I took a swig of beer and started unrolling the roller backwards to loosen the canvas and slide the whole mess off the coach and simply slide the new ''topper'' back on the roller and the side of the coach. I got pretty far into the unwinding of the roller and it started to ger really hard to turn because I was putting pressure back on the spring. I was pushing real hard on the electrical tester when the plastic handle busted off the spike on the electrical tester thingie. Things started happening in real fast slow motion. The roller rewound from the spring tension slinging the electrical spike tester thingie out of the hole I was using and the electrical spike tester thingie stuck in the eve of my neighbors pretty close to the first ''spike'' thingie. I still had the plastic handle thingie in my hand and I had the bulb holder also but I had spilled my beer...... I said SHUX real loud again. About that time Willa came around the front of the coach and asked ''How's it going dear?'' ''How did those tool thingies get stuck in the eve of Georges house?'' ''Did you get the old topper off already?'' ''Is that beer spilling down the side of the coach dear?'' ''Why is your face red hun?''

''Is supper about ready Willa dear, all this work has made real hungry and I need to go to the hardware store for some special tools now. I will finish this tomorrow''...................

More later on how to install a living room ''topper'' by yourself, on a ladder, with beer and sharp spike ''thingies'' for unwinding the springs in the roller.

Veterans gave us our Liberty. THANK YOU VETERANS ..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Oh SHUX, I think I might hafto do that too!
Rain came in on our first campout in Fort Worth. I think our topper is fine, but it bowed in the middle and filled with water. Also this is the first time I ever saw rain...lots of rain ... fall sideways, driven by 90 mph. Texas breeze.
The DW and I thought we might wake up in the neighbours yard.
Seajay, looking forward to part 2 of the O'Shux Saga.
Doug and Carol
( It's safer in Thunder Bay )

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh, THUX! I just thpewed thoda all over all over my keyboard laughing tho hard and now the eth key doethn't work! Darn you, Theajay!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

I went about it a little differently.I extended the room out.Using a strap wrench around the tube and a screwdriver to hold the tube I carefully unwound the tube till the fabric was all unwrapped.I removed the screws in the slot holding the fabric and pulled it out.I started the new fabric into the slots.Now it gets a little tricky when you are alone. Pushing 12' of fabric does not work. I fastened a line to the fabric and took it to the rear of the slide.I tied it to a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water for weight.Feeding the fabric into the slot and the bucket pulling the other end worked pretty good.Not as exiting as your method but safer and it worked.
BOB
Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I went about it a little differently.I extended the room out.Using a strap wrench around the tube and a screwdriver to hold the tube I carefully unwound the tube till the fabric was all unwrapped.I removed the screws in the slot holding the fabric and pulled it out.I started the new fabric into the slots.Now it gets a little tricky when you are alone. Pushing 12' of fabric does not work. I fastened a line to the fabric and took it to the rear of the slide.I tied it to a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of water for weight.Feeding the fabric into the slot and the bucket pulling the other end worked pretty good.Not as exiting as your method but safer and it worked.
BOB
Bob, I will be by over to your house sometime Saturday. I will bring a case of beer, a gallon each of ''hot weenees'' and boiled eggs, six Slim Jims, six stripes of ''Beef Jerkie (hot)'' and four cans of sardenes with saltine crackers...... and a fifth of J.B.(Black Lable) to celebrate the completion of the project.....

me.....

Tags
slide