Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1

Restaurants

Traveling FT creates a problem finding a restaurant. I've always been disappointed with American style restaurants but it's really become difficult to get a hot, tasty meal with them. One place off the interstate served me burnt, mushy meatloaf. The waitress agree it was burnt and took just the meat back, leaving me to eat a delicious baked potato and veggies. She returned with a double portion as an apology but it was more of the same, with a topping of very potent bar b q sauce. I told her it was terrible. They didn't charge me for either meal, just wanted me out. At 1 pm the owner was over at the gas station. From now on I go to fast food and ethnic places only. Yesterday, we went to a cafe in a historic town. Great hamburger. Fries where those horrible coated ones and the soda was weak.

I encourage all my fellow rv ers to start rejecting poorly served meals. The server has the responsibility to make sure the kitchen puts out good meals. We've been over tipping and they don't care what they put in front of us.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Restaurants

We look at the reviews via Google (ie: "review name city, state").
Also, we ask the locals where the go when we are fueling or at the local grocery.

Another trick is to go where there are a few restaurants at meal time, not fast-food joints, and then go to the busiest one.

When in the restaurant, we look at what others are having for clues. And we dont go where they are not busy.

Has worked well.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Check urbanspoon & tripadvisor. Both have apps for the smartphones & both are easily accessed on the computer. You will get reviews from locals & from those traveling through.
The next time you have a great burger, but the fries are yucky, soggy, out of the bag junk, leave a review online. Lots of business owners keep up with what is said online. Word of mouth can make or break a business.
If I'm not cooking or dh is not grilling, then what is placed in front of me better be good.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

I look for Highway truckers and/or Highway Patrol.....if you see both at a restaurant, Pull in!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We now only eat out for a special event of some type. A few years ago we decided the meals we fix at home or in our RV taste better than what we were getting in restaurants. Rarely are we disappointed by our home cooked meals. This works for us but to each his own.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
We now only eat out for a special event of some type. A few years ago we decided the meals we fix at home or in our RV taste better than what we were getting in restaurants. Rarely are we disappointed by our home cooked meals. This works for us but to each his own.

We're in the same camp as you... We work together great in the kitchen, whether in the RV or S&B, so it's great together time. We like our cooking better than most restaurants. It's a whole lot cheaper and typically lower in calories. When we do the occasional restaurant we will often use Yelp or Trip Advisor and sift though the blather to try and find the good places.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
The server has the responsibility to make sure the kitchen puts out good meals. We've been over tipping and they don't care what they put in front of us.
Sorry, but I disagree. It is not the server's fault nor is food prep their responsibility. Sounds like you would be more satisfied eating at home.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

We have a few favorite places in our tiny town of just 22,000. Food that we love made the way we like it. Love eating at Sizzlers when we are out of town. Food is always good and we know what to expect
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

My wife and I continue to be rather frugal in our young retired years. And about everytime we eat out, another $25 is gone.

We seldom even enjoy our meals eating out. That's why we usually only eat out 1x per week, and her favorite meal is the Krystal $2.99 special--no kidding.

I still have a hard time beating the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain when on the road. The recipes are how my mother cooked all the time--comfort food for me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. It is not the server's fault nor is food prep their responsibility. Sounds like you would be more satisfied eating at home.
Agreed.
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We don't eat out much either. First time I tried Cracker Barrell was two years ago as we don't have any out west. Boy did we enjoy is. For the most part though its home cooked meals when rving.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #13

So if you don't hold the server to be responsible for bringing you a good meal, why should anyone care? Which is what happened to me, no one cared. It is a systemic problem and if we don't start holding them to a higher standard now, then your great great grandchildren won't care either about standards. If you can't see how the American work ethic has deteriorated then....
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

In the South go to the town square and look at the people. When you see a couple of guys wearing suspenders (the lawyers), follow them to see where they eat. That will usually be the best food and best value in the town. It works.