Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
For Union Carpenters that is roughly the same wage they were making in 1980. Electricians were paid more.

Neither of those examples really matter. The problem is not the select number of folks who done an apprenticeship instead of college. The issue is the number of folk the public schools have been cranking out with no hand skills and not tool experience if they make it to graduation. We stopped teaching people to be workers and stopped paying them to do it. Easier to import everything and assume we will all be managers or artists.
Bingo. There are no vocational skills being taught in many school districts. Whatever happened to "everybody needs a saleable skill"? We are offering $15 / hour for basic labor, zero skills, and can't find them anywhere. We have 2% unemployment here in this part of the country.

I think you may be a little off for wages in 1980. I was a union heavy equipment operator "Operating Engineer" in 1980. I was only making $14 and thought I was getting rich. Non-union was only paying $7-8.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I retired at 46 from delphi-- GM gave us a week to decide what to do with nobody answering any ? So reduce pention no buy out but great insurance.best thing I did.its a little tight but not afraid to work part time for a farmer.and pick up junk on side of road .but feel great full what are Union and GM did for us
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackgirl View Post
I retired at 37 and wondering how I did not calculate in the desire for new toys with inflation costs. Perhaps some under the table consulting work is in order...ah dreams.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Retire at 55 and live to 80

$200,000 is not a 40hr week. It's lots of overtime. Depends on what part of the country what their wages are and also if they are journeyman, foreman, general foreman or superintendent. Billed at $60+ will be their package with benefits they are probably in the $40- $47 dollar range. They are probably billing in the $92-$100 hr range.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #75

My wife and I are both in our mid 50's. I wasn't looking forward to working until my 70's when our house was paid off. SWMBO can retire in a year or 2 as she's a teacher. Nice retirement.
Me, not so much. A truck driver for a battery company. Long weeks. And those batteries get heavier and heavier!
We decided shortly after buying our small TT last year that we would sell the house and her car, trade my truck and the TT on something bigger and full time when we reached 60. I realize that I'll probably have to workamp, but part time in exchange for a site and a small paycheck is MUCH better than the 50 plus hours a week I'm doing now!
We are planning on talking to a financial planner this summer and see if our plan is actually doable. I certainly hope so!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Work just to stay busy as well.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #77

Retired at 55, that was 18 yrs ago.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #78

Retired at 54. At 62 took a part-time job driving motorhomes for La Mesa RV. Been having so much fun it doesn't seem like a job.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Bingo. There are no vocational skills being taught in many school districts. Whatever happened to "everybody needs a saleable skill"? We are offering $15 / hour for basic labor, zero skills, and can't find them anywhere. We have 2% unemployment here in this part of the country.

I think you may be a little off for wages in 1980. I was a union heavy equipment operator "Operating Engineer" in 1980. I was only making $14 and thought I was getting rich. Non-union was only paying $7-8.
I bet you were in the south. In the north the wages were significantly higher. AFAIK they still are for the Union jobs left.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #80

I'm 53 DW is 50. I love my job and make good money but since I live where it's cold and work shift work at a job that's open 365/ 24hrs a day, working to 60 is getting hard to vision. Every winter we visit in-laws in Mesa AZ makes it even tougher to return home. I do have a nice 401k, were currently downsizing moving to a condo. Even if I go at 60 or earlier I worry about losing that bi-weekly check and the idea of taking out of my 401K.
Rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rksolid View Post
I'm 53 DW is 50. I love my job and make good money but since I live where it's cold and work shift work at a job that's open 365/ 24hrs a day, working to 60 is getting hard to vision. Every winter we visit in-laws in Mesa AZ makes it even tougher to return home. I do have a nice 401k, were currently downsizing moving to a condo. Even if I go at 60 or earlier I worry about losing that bi-weekly check and the idea of taking out of my 401K.

Find a trustworthy FA you like and develop a relationship with him or her and go from there. Do it now while they have time to work with you.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Find a trustworthy FA you like and develop a relationship with him or her and go from there. Do it now while they have time to work with you.

Watch for the crooked FA....millions of them! Many of them recommend investments that are good for them...not you!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I retired one month after turning 59, I lived off my savings for 6 months before I could start drawing from my 401. I just turned 62 and received my first SS check so now draw less from my IRA. My wife is still working and probably will from anywhere to a year or 3 at most, we have our youngest grand daughter who is only in second year of HS so I told my wife who loves her job it might be best just to work until she graduates since we just cant pick up and go. I look at it this way, I survived working at the same business for 40 years, now I need to survive retirement ....its funny how much faster time goes by being retired compared to my work days. Once my wife retires were gonna investigate southern states to relocate, I'm sick of these wet grey winters here in the greater Seattle/Tacoma area but even sicker of the Politicians around here that cant quit trying new ways to tax us, ie; carbon tax, tax by mile etc.

PS
I love retirement :-)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #84

I retired at 47, some 18 years ago mainly because a) I had already had a quadruple bypass, b) working at a job I hated, and c) because I could. For a long time I missed the people I worked with, but not the ones I worked for. I’ve enjoyed most of the time since I walked out the door.

If I had still enjoyed my job, I’d still be doing it. I have no issue with people doing something they get pleasure from up until the time to go. Sometimes I think when you take someone’s lifes work away from them they are lost.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote